Launch Controller Wire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks AL, that's what I was looking at.

While 18/2 is Ok, for short runs if your using 30 -50 ft 16/2 lamp cord (zipcord) is a better choice. particularly if you plan on using this controller for clustered motors as well as single.

Ps: if you can find zip-cord in white rather then brown jacket, it shows up much better laying in the grass, Less of a trip hazard:)

I intend on using 12-6 when I wire mine.
But I don't know much, I'm just an electrical apprentice still...

Obviously. Talk about overkill.

To say the least, I get it for free (scrap) and it isn't like I'm adding extra weight (glue) to the rocket (overkill) slowing it down. I may want to wire a sound system into it for fun also. Why not? Haha. To each his own.

Yes, please do. A bigger pipe is better right ? What are the trade-offs ?

There comes a point in this kind of circuit where you are so far exceeding the demand that all you are doing is adding mass and gaining marginal value. 16GA or 18GA will be more than sufficient for the vast majority of use cases where an Aerotech Interlock controller apply.

For example at 12VDC

Wire GaugeRated Ampacity at less than 50'Rated Ampacity over 50'Voltage drop at 25' (assume max current)
141813'2.27
122518'1.99

Disclaimer - this was just a few minutes of lookup on line, so the values could be tuned significantly if someone wanted to spend the time.

Last edited:
The trade-off is mostly one of cost vs. nothing gained. Why buy a tractor-trailer when a pick-up truck will do? Why buy a pneumatic drill to make a 1/8" hole in balsa?

The trade-off is mostly one of cost vs. nothing gained. Why buy a tractor-trailer when a pick-up truck will do? Why buy a pneumatic drill to make a 1/8" hole in balsa?

There comes a point in this kind of circuit where you are so far exceeding the demand that all you are doing is adding mass and gaining marginal value. 16GA or 18GA will be more than sufficient for the vast majority of use cases where an Aerotech Interlock controller apply.

In the words of Tim Allen,
MORE POWERRRR! rahohohoo!lol

Right. dford is lucky enough to take cost out of the equation. 25 to 18 amps at the end of the run would light'em up pretty good. What are the tradeoffs now ? Wear and tear on other components in the circuit ? Wear and tear on old rocketeers lugging around a heavy cable ?

Right. dford is lucky enough to take cost out of the equation. 25 to 18 amps at the end of the run would light'em up pretty good. What are the tradeoffs now ? Wear and tear on other components in the circuit ? Wear and tear on old rocketeers lugging around a heavy cable ?

Geez. You have unwittingly brought back some memories for me. Before my current career as a DoD computer contractor, I worked as a union electrician in the motion picture industry in Baltimore. I somehow ended up becoming the generator operator. This was a 650 amp, crystal sync, blimped generator that I had to drive to the set, park, level, and operate. Part of the "operation" was laying out anywhere from three to five 100' hanks of 0000 cable. These suckers weighed about 70# a piece.

When I wasn't the genny op, I often ended up on a rigging crew, lugging a 50' hank of single ought welding cable up ladders.

After having gotten a BA in film and video production, and thinking I was going to be the next Spielberg, I realized one day that I was just a manual laborer. I quit, went back to school, and got a comp sci degree.

Geez. You have unwittingly brought back some memories for me. Before my current career as a DoD computer contractor, I worked as a union electrician in the motion picture industry in Baltimore. I somehow ended up becoming the generator operator. This was a 650 amp, crystal sync, blimped generator that I had to drive to the set, park, level, and operate. Part of the "operation" was laying out anywhere from three to five 100' hanks of 0000 cable. These suckers weighed about 70# a piece.

When I wasn't the genny op, I often ended up on a rigging crew, lugging a 50' hank of single ought welding cable up ladders.

After having gotten a BA in film and video production, and thinking I was going to be the next Spielberg, I realized one day that I was just a manual laborer. I quit, went back to school, and got a comp sci degree.

...and how old are you now?

If you use a relay launcher it doesn't really matter much. The battery, relay and the high current wiring and clips are at the pad and the run is short. The wire from the relay to the launch button can be 4 wire telephone cord several hundred feet long since you only need about 100 ma to pull in the relay!

And if you use a rolling code wireless remote control, there is no wire at all!

Well, I replaced the cable with 35' of 16/2 zipcord and wired it exactly as it was before. I'm still not getting the tone that indicates continuity. I have not tried it with an igniter to see if it will fire Is it possible that the beeper is burnt out?

I went through the whole thing with my multimeter. It appears that the beeper is shot, I still get continuity just no tone.
Now I'll have to hunt a new one down. I miss Radio Shack....

Back