Ultimate QCC Explorer L3 build Indiana

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Neil, it's getting close

Have a little work to make the NC shoulder fit.

Shot base coat , wet sanded with 1000, then shot final base coat on NC , payload and switch band

Booster needed a lot of spot putty and some love on the leading and trailing edge of the intake and fin fillets, but getting closer after the filler primer fog.

Couldn't help to dry fit - man this thing is huge at 142" tall, there will be 6" more once the exit come is finished.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474571309.251343.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474571323.620327.jpg

WOW!!
she is amazing!!
I see you have two holes for switches, wondering what are you going to use for electronics in her? Have you even started the av-bay yet?

Looking good so far. Recommend some threadlocker on the nose tip and not gluing a bulkhead in place on the nose so you can get at the screw. I had to retighten mine after a hard landing. How are you planning on attaching the recovery harness to the nosecone?

That is a beauty. You have done a fantastic job Nick.

Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

WOW!!
she is amazing!!
I see you have two holes for switches, wondering what are you going to use for electronics in her? Have you even started the av-bay yet?

Thanks JJSR - yes I started on the AV bay this week, no pics yet. RRC3 and Stratto CF with LED Connector, 240 mah 2S lipos, and leaving room on the bottom of the sled for RTx at some point.

Ahh thanks Nate, yes bulkhead will be removable since I shove my tracker in the cone.

Thanks Alex, it looks real good from 10', but up close there are some epoxy lines and such. This is the point where I typically start to rush it just to finish, need to stay a little picky and try and make this look good from 3'

Last edited:
Are those small openings on the top side of each air intake to let the air out that enters the intakes? I would simply cover over the intakes the way I designed it in the first place. You will have a lot les drag that way.

By the way, she is Really Nice Looking.

John Boren

Last edited:
Money can't buy happiness but it can get you a giant ass QCC Explorer, and that's pretty much the same thing.

If I had a giant ass QCC Explorer, I'd make the arrangements to be buried with it when I go.

Are those small openings on the top side of each air intake to let the air out that enters the intakes? I would simply cover over the intakes the way I designed it in the first place. You will have a lot les drag that way.

By the way, she is Really Nice Looking.

John Boren

The man himself - designer of the QCC! Thanks for stopping by John. Good eyes, the air intakes are functional or faux with the addition of a plug. I will be using them to increase the whistle of the rocket as there a passage with some bell holes the air must pass through to hopefully whistle (2 intakes) and the other 2 intakes will be for cold smoke emitters in the future - so this is definitely not built for altitude.

But yes I am making plugs for all four intakes that will be removable.
Thanks for the great design, the QCC is my favorite rocket if I was to have to chose only 1.

I'm also building another ESTES QCC explorer hopefully to finish by the L3 flight.

Flyfalcon - no kidding, this has been slightly expensive venture :) aaaaand I don't know where I'm going to put it when I'm done, eh details details. Maybe hang it from my shop ceiling off a piece of 1515 rail.

Last edited:
Thanks JJSR - yes I started on the AV bay this week, no pics yet. RRC3 and Stratto CF with LED Connector, 240 mah 2S lipos, and leaving room on the bottom of the sled for RTx at some point.

Ahh thanks Nate, yes bulkhead will be removable since I shove my tracker in the cone.

Thanks Alex, it looks real good from 10', but up close there are some epoxy lines and such. This is the point where I typically start to rush it just to finish, need to stay a little picky and try and make this look good from 3'

Your welcome Nick, dont rush, be patient. I've had my share of screw ups for rushing it to make it look how I want it, so dont rush.

Do you have an OR or rocksim file of the design? I have drawn the air intake, but need body tube lengths, diameters, and nose cone dimensions to get it looking how its supposed to.

Would most appreciate it

86ddf7682b30f7ebe73ee74766fe029e.jpg

Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Your welcome Nick, dont rush, be patient. I've had my share of screw ups for rushing it to make it look how I want it, so dont rush.

Do you have an OR or rocksim file of the design? I have drawn the air intake, but need body tube lengths, diameters, and nose cone dimensions to get it looking how its supposed to.

Would most appreciate it

86ddf7682b30f7ebe73ee74766fe029e.jpg

Yes I do but have to sign in on computer to post it and having issues with that, this is from my phone. Will do my best to post it soon

Thank you Justin!

Yes I do but have to sign in on computer to post it and having issues with that, this is from my phone. Will do my best to post it soon

Thank you Justin!

No rush lad, when you can please do.

As you can see from the pics I have a lot of little spots to fix.

Drilled the bottom of the booster to inject some CF filled west systems on the rear CR. The reason I did this? When I tested ejection charge the motor was pushed out of the back end like a piston, at that time my rear CR wasn't attached yet, however this showed me how much force the ejection charge develops on a 4" piston. Since I don't want to friction fit, the rear CR needs to be able to resist this force.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474677056.217780.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474677308.830696.jpg

The NC coupler was way too tight in the body and was actual stuck. With some help from Gus, we were able to tap it out. Then used a cylinder home with some 220 on the inside of the payload - this was not getting the results I was looking for so changed to some 80 grit and went to town - 5 minutes later smooth as butter.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474677831.725377.jpg

Used a 98mm CR and the forward NC bulkhead and drilled for attachment points. The 98mm CR will be epoxied in the NC at the end of the couple so I'll still be able to have an accessible NC bay for the tracker and will have a U- bolt in the bulkhead inside the NC coupler for the harness attachment point.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474677983.158958.jpg

Now I've ran my little town out of White primer since the pearl white duplicolor for the booster is a translucent coating - need to pickup some duplicolor lacquer white base.

Thanks B!

This build has another benefit, I started studying for the Amateur Radio Technicians test since I would
like to do some tracking at some point by mainly just want a better knowledge of how GPS transmits and receives signals , antennas, receivers etc. I see Ksaves relaying all sorts of knowledge and he is speaking another language that I would
Like to understand. Having electrical back ground that part is fine but bands and packets I want to know more about. Living on the top of the one of the tallest bare hills around our "flat land" is a plus as well I may want to utilize that at some point.

I am not sure why I never thought of a cylinder hone for inside a BT... That is a great idea!

Just wanted to show Nat that it can be done. Folding that front section of the air intakes was a little bit of a challenge, but I got it.

Screenshot (14).jpg

Thanks, to clarify, the sheet of sandpaper was not working and neither was just the cylinder hone. So I stuffed an 80grit 3"x18" belt for a hand sander and spun that with the cylinder hone - this made quick work of it!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474913295.795421.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474913374.844799.jpg

Working on the NC coupler and bulkhead
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474913365.014999.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474913403.569088.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474913419.397810.jpg

Wrapped harness with part of a pool noodle and duct tape

Also finished the white base coat on the booster - next to polish out the base coat orange peel then the pearl white coat.

Thanks, to clarify, the sheet of sandpaper was not working and neither was just the cylinder hone. So I stuffed an 80grit 3"x18" belt for a hand sander and spun that with the cylinder hone - this made quick work of it!

I got that. Still, Mama always said, "Never do something by hand when you can use power tools to screw it up faster."

Thank to beautiful weather was able to be very productive last few days

NC is assembled and polished - tip was assembled with blue loctite

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474999695.718239.jpg

Booster base coated, stickers installed except for the side air intakes. CP marked and retainer final installed . Special thanks - missing Bob Jablonski but that's coming ;).

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474999724.225501.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474999760.391051.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474999832.596758.jpg

With dome suggestion from JF - my drogue is too large - KY from Rocketman is kind enough to exchange for me.

Still AV bay to complete, some little finishing items and final charge testing. Still waiting on order AT 98/10240 motor hardware which is on back order.

Spectacular! If this is not my favorite build I've seen on TRF it's awfully close. I also can't believe how quickly you got it all done. How much time had you spent planning before you started this thread?

That'll be gettin' yer L3 in style, that's for sure.

Nick wins TRF today! If this isn't taking "Upscale my favorite little rocket for my L3" to a new level then I don't know what is. My life will be complete when I see the flight video.

Nick wins TRF today! If this isn't taking "Upscale my favorite little rocket for my L3" to a new level then I don't know what is. My life will be complete when I see the flight video.

Hey, how about an upscale Flying V for your L3? I look forward to seeing one towering over your house. :grin:

Anyway, yes, that giant QCC certainly demands some quality launch video. I also look forward to it.

Back