Ultimate QCC Explorer L3 build Indiana

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, me either that's why I did a couple of each, not even sure how well they will work until it flies .

I keep thinking about these smoke emitters. What are they exactly, and how will you trigger them on burnout?

Sportsmoke.com some attach to sky diver feet, probably with a PET timer is my thought. I have some more researching to do on this, but need to build the structure and mount at this point.

Thanks Tim, I have similar to that and they only issue is need to figure out ignition but yes MUCH cheaper!

Awesome! I love anything QCC, that would compliment my collection nicely! I also need a 2.6"

Motor mount was installed in the booster airframe this morning with RocketPoxy. This is a picture of the top CR which is difficult to reach and even more difficult to slather epoxy in and make it look good. The 2nd CR would require drilling the booster and injecting so will not have epoxy as there will not be a need. Using the SC precision thrust plate will transfer load to the airframe and not on the fin/mount/fin slot. The rear CR will be epoxied in place after the fins are in place. I'm not doing a good job on building this Wildman beast light, so this is my small attempt to reduce a little weight in the fin area.

My epoxy applicator
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471954935.156293.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471954966.178337.jpg

Continuing with the air intakes. West coast starts off thin which ran during one of my assemblies so I have some sanding repair because one of the intakes slats is epoxied where it shouldn't be.

Epoxied the lower angled slats in place (the ones with clamps) with CF filled west 105 and 205.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471955181.422806.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to start fin installation later this week and it will start looking like a rocket. Also I need to get the fins on so my mom can make a rocket transport carrier / sling. More on that later.

Last edited:
Normally I would have installed the air intake first like the VTS and QCC, however I want an external fillet from the fin to airframe so this requires the air intake to be installed after the fillets are done. Today nearing completion of the air intakes.

Prepared the fins for epoxy connection between fin root and motor tube, sanded with 50 grit air sander and drilled many epoxy pockets something a little extra for the epoxy to grab onto. The fins are big and I want to eliminate any possibility of the fin breaking that joint in case of a hard landing as it would not be easy to get to for a repair. Mixed up some RocketPoxy with black pigment so I can verify the bond.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471993463.150258.jpg

Using the double dip method, installed the first fin
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471993473.816924.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471993527.855926.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471993512.817264.jpg

Using my massive fin jigs, installed the first fin
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471993572.658862.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471993585.740896.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471993603.679093.jpg

Fin #3&4 on. Only Rocketpoxied to the motor tube for now. Also the thrust plate and rear CR is removable, just in place to verify motor mount stays in place.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472149928.676368.jpg

Continuing with Air intakes and the whistle / smoke slot. Rough cuts made, will clean up once everything is epoxied into place.

This first picture is the air intake holes.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472150094.285329.jpg

This is the picture of the air ramp to the slot opening .
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472150050.123433.jpg

Then the slot right before the fin fillet once it is in place.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472150182.976094.jpg

The will be two pass through intakes and two smoke intakes - however I am having an issue with that. Fitment and igniting is a challenge. I really am looking for cold smoke, not flame smoke (which are the cheaper ones and they require an open flame to ignite, so that is out of the picture). The cold smoke emitters that fit apparently exit out the side, which really stinks since I will have to modify the smoke mounts, the large ones exit out the back, but they won't fit. I knew I should have purchased, had them in hand and tested prior to making the mounts, just a didn't listen to that voice in my head, or where there more than one 🤔. I digress, the smoke is not is a want not a necessity, so i have a few options here and if all else fails, they can be plugged easily or also whistles, but 4 separate whistles may sound awful, won't know until the flight.

Next to fillet the fins internally and take to Gus my TAP to verify he is happy before closing up the rear CR .

What about modifying the "smoke tubes" into motor mounts and light some blackjacks or smoky sams???
Just food for thought...

Adrian

What about modifying the "smoke tubes" into motor mounts and light some blackjacks or smoky sams???
Just food for thought...

Adrian

Great idea Adrian! Could definitely turn it into a cluster.

Picture from inside the motor tube showing the bond, not pretty but looks strong.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472171243.831428.jpg

Found some fuel tubing that screws right into the syringes from Tractor supply for the internals. First one in, I won't bore with multiple picks of fillets, so here is just a couple. Very happy with how smooth RocketPoxy and an alcohol on a 1" PVC pipe. I waited 30 minutes for the external fillet and came out the best yet. It takes awhile to figure out the timing so it pulls smooth and retains the curve of a good fillet. Although I've built 2 rockets with RP I'm finally getting the hang of it.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472171328.301430.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472171393.424741.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472171598.812810.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472171774.855000.jpg

That is going to be one amazing rocket.

Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Nick do you have a Rocksim you can forward me?
Alexander;
I have an OR but the weights are not accurate yet. Once I get home I'll get it to you or figure how to post here.

Yes Nat I bet, you've done an amazing job on this project, no way this would've happened without the craftsmanship of UpscaleCNC!

Nick,

The big QCC is looking great! Watching with great interest and smiling proudly from behind the keyboard!

I can't wait to see this beast in person in 2 months and watch her take to the skies for an outstanding L3 flight!:clap:

Keep up the good work!

Alexander;
I have an OR but the weights are not accurate yet. Once I get home I'll get it to you or figure how to post here.

Yes Nat I bet, you've done an amazing job on this project, no way this would've happened without the craftsmanship of UpscaleCNC!

Thanks Nick, I really want the measurements of the body tubes and nose cone. I am going to draw this awesome rocket in Fusion 360. Nat said he was going to forward me the dimensions of the air intakes, but I have yet to recieve that.

Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Nick,

The big QCC is looking great! Watching with great interest and smiling proudly from behind the keyboard!

I can't wait to see this beast in person in 2 months and watch her take to the skies for an outstanding L3 flight!:clap:

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Eric, hope to hear about ur Black Rock trip!

This thread is really quite good. :cheers:

Thanks it's coming together pretty well which is a testament to the people that made the parts for me. Hope to one day take on a project like your V2, but I need more skills.

Today I ordered some high temp 3M tape thanks to Tim D and Mcrisone in another thread. I saw a rear ejection build awhile back that was very clever and I wanted to use that in my air intake smoke mounts and today they posted the tape that I was looking for.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472239510.818207.jpg

Unfortunately had to take a not so quick round trip to Detroit Rock city so my build was put on hold, then I'm running an off-road 5K trying to get back into better shape. Tomorrow we have a Makerspace rocket launch so it will be good to launch some rockets (LPR). Hopefully I'll be back building tomorrow night.

Finished all fillets (fin to motor mount, internal to air frame and external). The internals are not pretty but they are strong. These fins aren't going anywhere. Maybe overkill but I have my reasons 1. The fins are fairly large ( I have not yet completed a fin flutter sim ) 2. Once the air intakes are installed would have to cut the rocket apart for any repair.

I have not yet installed the rear centering ring so Gus can approve of fin connection. The CR is prepped / ready and fits perfectly so I can do this at any point.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472560945.023893.jpg

Started installation of heat tape for the air intakes as a precaution and anticipation of the cold smoke canisters.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472560982.994625.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472560994.322973.jpg

Next on the list;

- complete air intakes
- finish heat tape
- sand for better fin fitment
- smooth and finish intake fillets prior to assembly

- install the air intakes onto airframe

- CA and sand all holes

Making more progress, some say to take out stock in 3M for the amount of sandpaper you will use in a rocketeers lifetime and I'm making pretty good headway on that, I will spare you the boring picture of sanding the intakes, fillets etc.

Currently working on the individual fillets and joints on the air intakes which is time consuming but coming along nicely. Everything seams to take twice as long and cost twice as much just like my home projects but I'm old enough to realize that so the more work I can do on the front end the better, plus I am really enjoying the build.

My plan is to fully assemble the air intakes the install onto the booster and over the fin, so alignment is critical.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473184877.380902.jpg

Contouring body on the air intakes

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473184899.961606.jpg

So the last pieces to install onto the air intake is the slot and the rear wood support, this will cover the external fin fillet. So everything is taped into position, epoxy down the slot and support then lift of when set (a few hours). After removing it will be a complete intake, but will still need some internal fillets on the slot piece since this will also be epoxied to the fin at final assembly.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473184972.957652.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473185093.243329.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473185166.622918.jpg

That QCC is really starting to look great Nick. Those intakes seem like a lot of work but you are doing a great job on them and I am sure it will be worth the effort. I can't wait to see the finished results, absolutely love this rocket.

That QCC is really starting to look great Nick. Those intakes seem like a lot of work but you are doing a great job on them and I am sure it will be worth the effort. I can't wait to see the finished results, absolutely love this rocket.

Thanks Jeff, also thanks for sharing your Argonia flight, before I do the same thing, I will be keying the AV bay

Back