Ultimate QCC Explorer L3 build Indiana

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason i have stayed out of this little build thread rests on the fact that it seems like every weekend...someone :point: has been running up to my Tree Farm to show this Critter off. I can not tell you all how well this Rocket looks in person, the pictures DO NOT due it justice. Nick Adams is the kind of person i respect more than alot of keyboard pounders that can be found in some places...:rolleyes: He just works magic with his hands!

I'll see you at the "Range" tomorrow Amigo....Already have my truck packed with extras and, some nice soft movers blankets for your tests...

I WANT NAPALM AND, I WANT IT NOW...3...2...1 *BOOM* Better! :D
"Don't you think that's enough Gus?" :eek:
MORE POWDER! Gus wants BIGGER BOOM! :D

Relax, everything is falling into place quite well, Midwest Power is where you'll truly shine my fiend...:eek:

Haha - 2 big BOOMS today, thanks for the help with the tests, the laundry is going to come out. I'll make ya proud at MWP. I feel very comfortable with 4 successful tests I should! Those Onebadhawk harnesses can take the 7gr charges.

Bob Jablonski was nice enough to delivery the M1939W thumper at Purdy today along with some super juice for the igniter (thanks Bob!) , so what's left??
1. I got 3 weeks to polish
2. Buy twinkies for Gus
3. Assemble the motor
4. Fly said rocket

Gus giving a kiss good luck?? Glad I didn't post where you were originally standing - this is a family thread
Just kidding of course ..no animals were harmed in this picture and ALL safety precautions were taken.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476044303.595614.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476044173.218327.jpg

Shhhhhhhh..... View attachment 303032
I would tell him that he got "The Me" right but, the Eric! :lol:
In German- Piepenburg (burg), "a town or village"....correct
In German- Cayemberg (berg), "a hill or mountain".... (corrected).
He insulted Eric! :surprised:

I've NEVER had anyone EVER thank me on a rocket before...Humble thank-you Nick and, well done on your tests performed today!

Beware the "Parrot Shirt Guy" though- Shalom!:wink:

Shhhhhhhh..... View attachment 303032
I would tell him that he got "The Me" right but, the Eric! :lol:
In German- Piepenburg (burg), "a town or village"....correct
In German- Cayemberg (berg), "a hill or mountain".... (corrected).
He insulted Eric! :surprised:

I've NEVER had anyone EVER thank me on a rocket before...Humble thank-you Nick and, well done on your tests performed today!

Beware the "Parrot Shirt Guy" though- Shalom!:wink:

No insult there...that's awesome! Thank you Nick for inviting us along for the ride!

What's better than building and flying your own project? Watching a friend's dreams and visions take shape into an amazing creation like the giant QCC....this is simply awesome...can't wait to see this masterpiece take to the skies on a huge pillar of yellow/white flame and billowing smoke! This is sweet!

-Eric-

Wish I could make it to MWP. But going to 3 weekends in a row (Sat and Sun)is kinda hard to get clearance. Something about spending time with the family some time.....

The exit nozzle / blast deflector miniature prototype is finished and hope to have the final ABS version before flight day.
This is the work of a good friend of mine who runs a Makerspace

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476406328.761146.jpg

Gus, your eyes must be getting worn out from those 3 million miles
I don't see a problem with Eric's name
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476463473.145697.jpg

Jammin to Marcus Miller "Blast", Today was the final info day and to tweak my OR file to better estimate thrust ratio, etc.

- received the 24" MACH 2 drogue from Ky at Rocketman, nice chute !
- installed the Landru camera shroud
- assembled the rocket with motor reload grains and shoved them in the 4" hole (but still waiting on motor hardware which is due in next monday)
- according to the AT website the motor hardware weighs in at 2367 grams so I made a 2x4 estimate equivalent
- Final weight with motor is 72 lbs - big fatty jeez
- Final CG was 96" from the tip
- CP estimated by OR is 118.25"
- new stability margin changed quite a bit from the estimate - 3.8 stability caliber hmm
- finished all my documentation

left to do:
- still have to drop my Altimeter deployment from 1000' to 700' and back up from 900 to 600'.
- prep many other rockets for MWP
- Pack!

may or may not happen depending on work schedule:
- received printed Faux Exit Nozzle
- finish rocket polish

IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG

Jammin to Marcus Miller "Blast", Today was the final info day and to tweak my OR file to better estimate thrust ratio, etc.

- received the 24" MACH 2 drogue from Ky at Rocketman, nice chute !
- installed the Landru camera shroud
- assembled the rocket with motor reload grains and shoved them in the 4" hole (but still waiting on motor hardware which is due in next monday)
- according to the AT website the motor hardware weighs in at 2367 grams so I made a 2x4 estimate equivalent
- Final weight with motor is 72 lbs - big fatty jeez
- Final CG was 96" from the tip
- CP estimated by OR is 118.25"
- new stability margin changed quite a bit from the estimate - 3.8 stability caliber hmm
- finished all my documentation

left to do:
- still have to drop my Altimeter deployment from 1000' to 700' and back up from 900 to 600'.
- prep many other rockets for MWP
- Pack!

may or may not happen depending on work schedule:
- received printed Faux Exit Nozzle
- finish rocket polish

View attachment 303961
View attachment 303962
View attachment 303963

Looks great! You've really done a bang up job with it. How do you like the camera shroud? Thinking of getting one myself.

Thanks Nate;
I like it, have it on 4 rockets but in all honesty I have only 1 captured video on all my rockets due to battery dying, sitting on pad to long, rocket in tree for long time and other excuses. That video showed that it could be pointed outward just a tad for better quality.

Hopefully will have several flights on video this weekend and will report back. Numerous rocketeers here have posted videos using the same product and they turned out well.

Last edited:
Today was prep day, so I was able to do as much as I could so launch day will go as smooth as possible.
Finished polishing the nose cone - used Nathan's suggestion - porter cable 7424, swirl remover then 3M protectant
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478004179.020438.jpg

Prepped my ejection charges
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478004193.999308.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478004207.545430.jpg

Assembled the mighty M1939W - I chose to grain bond to the liner just for my own experience, the motor went smooth except for 2 small issues 1. Smoke grain liner needed to be sanded quite a bit to fit into the forward closer and 2. The instructions doesn't say to install the O-rings between the grains - but I watched the Aerotech video and knew where the go. Not an issue for me obviously but the instructions should be amended.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478004221.849624.jpg

Charged my altimeter lipos , tracker and camera batteries, ready for launch day, praying for good weather. Man I'm so excited, this will be my first launch of the season and just can't wait. The anticipation is even fun, my wife said there is only 2 things you've been talking about, rockets and politics, wow I didn't notice - only one of those I like. She is a good sport about it though.

Also prepped the rest of my high powers for MWP - 4" MAC Performance VTS (painted as a QCC), LOC Magnum - my first air start K711 to 2 H195, Firestick XL and a 3" orange rocket I just call It the Justin Ferrand rocket. Going to be a great weekend.

Best of luck Nick :wink: Looking forward to the post flight report

This is a really cool rocket, even better as an upscale. Fascinating that at this scale you can really do something with the intakes.

Good luck with the flight!

Pointy end up, and good luck. This is definitely going to be a stylish L3.

If the rumors are true congratulations are in order on your L3 certification! I've really enjoyed following this thread and the project turned out absolutely beautiful Nick. Well done sir, well done!

Thanks Ryan, Bob, Eric and Jeff, They are true , scary isn't it?
I'll post more details once I unpack it all. For now I was calm until motor burnout then I was suddenly really nervous until the puff at apogee which seamed like the longest 10 seconds, wow. Wooohoo!

Certainly anything can go wrong and will to the smartest and most thorough of rocketeers (which I am not) but the flight went without a hitch to approx 6700' which OR estimated 6650!

Thanks again

Great flight! Next time you'll put it up on an N motor, right? :)

Haha Glen, once I get a chance to inspect the intakes and find and they are ok, yes - N2000W likely since my AT Case bubbled I will need to purchase another case it's a good time to change to 98/15360 and make a spacer for the 10240 loads. I know the nose cone can take Mach but the N2000 sims at 810 mph hmmm

Neil - don't know if it whistled yet since it was so high when the thunder of the motor subsided we couldn't hear it, so I didn't achieve the desired whistle effect

Thanks Alexander and Cab! What a fun day, one more day of flying then I'll have some time to download everything

Well done and congrats. Also, if a case bubbles under normal use can't you make a warranty claim for that. After all the case shouldn't blister if you follow the directions, and based on the flight results you did.

Back