Ultimate QCC Explorer L3 build Indiana

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, you guys are really making me want to go to AirFest if for nothing other than spectating. Chris, do you have any extra room if I could pull it off? Or I could drive perhaps!

Jack

I can't guarantee room in the van at this point. I believe my Dad is coming in from PA to go along, and the V2 and launch tower will occupy the rest of the space as I will have to take the other seats out to make it all fit. You are welcome under the canopy at the launch though, and I can probably haul some incidentals and rockets also if you can manage a seat up and back. Catch me at the DARS meeting this weekend (I'll be the one with the big V2 :wink:) and Jeff and I can talk you into going.

On topic for a moment: What material are you planning to print the intake covers out of?

Not sure yet - here are the melting points
So for comparison purposes (all temp's in deg C):
PLA - 190 - 210
PETG - 210-235
ABS - 230-250.

Was also considering coating them but I do see many videos with the printed camera shrouds above Mach that don't seam to be an issue. Sim is showing 840mph on ThrustCurve and 780mph in OR.

Getting ready for Airfest and an O3400 motor. Plan is for Sunday flight and if that falls through MWP in Nov.

Rough ThrustCurve simulation shows 11,700' and 879 mph, 9:1 thrust ratio, OR sims is pretty close to that as well. My earlier OR sims on the M1939 flight were off by 800' which is was 10% off but the speed simmed at 550ish mph but was much slower. So based on that the 879 mph seams generous. Still think it will hit Mach though.

In preparation had some intake plugs printed to prevent the air flowing through the intakes. Want to make sure that air pressure doesn't break the intakes during the Mach transition.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1500645174.762182.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1500645184.186025.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1500645196.489728.jpg

Also I'll be increasing the main altitude from 800' to 1000 or 1200'. Also will be adding a backup tracker RF borrowed from my buddy Gus P who is nice enough to participate in this flight.

Not sure yet - here are the melting points
So for comparison purposes (all temp's in deg C):
PLA - 190 - 210
PETG - 210-235
ABS - 230-250.

Was also considering coating them but I do see many videos with the printed camera shrouds above Mach that don't seam to be an issue. Sim is showing 840mph on ThrustCurve and 780mph in OR.

I wouldn't worry about a single thing...That thing has like 40#'s of paint on it.

"We don't have ablative material, just material that ablates!"

It will do fine-;)

Nick those look fantastic! good luck at airfest with the flight.
don't forget to get video &/or pictures of the launch "PLEASE"

Thanks Chris (CVIII) - got alittle travel rash from the trip home from maker-space unfortunatley but will try to have it looking pretty after everything else is done, like I used to hear when I race cars "fast car before pretty car"

Thanks Chris (DinoAP) - nice talking with you yesterday, really look forward to seeing your flights.

you got it JJSR - I still need a 2.6" QCC to complete the collection!
1.6" Estes, 2.6" QCC missing, 4" MAC Performance VTS - modified to QCC, 6" Ultimate QCC, ??? QCC (long way away - O3400 ain't cheap).

Last edited:
Getting ready for Airfest and an O3400 motor. Plan is for Sunday flight and if that falls through MWP in Nov.

Rough ThrustCurve simulation shows 11,700' and 879 mph, 9:1 thrust ratio, OR sims is pretty close to that as well. My earlier OR sims on the M1939 flight were off by 800' which is was 10% off but the speed simmed at 550ish mph but was much slower. So based on that the 879 mph seams generous. Still think it will hit Mach though.

In preparation had some intake plugs printed to prevent the air flowing through the intakes. Want to make sure that air pressure doesn't break the intakes during the Mach transition.

View attachment 324262
View attachment 324263
View attachment 324264

Also I'll be increasing the main altitude from 800' to 1000 or 1200'. Also will be adding a backup tracker RF borrowed from my buddy Gus P who is nice enough to participate in this flight.

Nick,

Love the covers; they look great! Can't wait to see the big QCC again....on O power! Nice!

Everything is prepped except for the CTI O-3400 which Gus and I will glue up on Sunday.

Now the rocket is off to Bloomington IN to be displayed for our local makerspace "Castlemakers.org" maker fair, since they were responsible for making the plugs and a few other items.

Also finished the original Estes QCC as seen in the picture for size comparison. My son says "Dad, your missing something , you need a 2" and an 8".
Haha I love the QCC but time for some other rockets. Plus I don't think I could afford to fly the 8" and don't want a desk queen or shop queen in that case. Or perhaps...oh Nat Kinsey!...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503690406.478705.jpg

Thank you - it is starting to get some battle scars unfortunately only from the garage and transport :).

The mighty O-3400 has been glued up with Gus at his rocket hide out in an undisclosed town hidden far away from civilization.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503921222.526741.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503921244.586626.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503921266.176832.jpg

Rocket transport stand is in the works, pretty much down to a final rocket weight which I'll do at my wife's office since they have the room and an accurate scale and start organizing and packing.

Next will be a flight report, flying on Sunday morning at AF, stop by and say hey if you're there - big blue tent.

The mighty O-3400 has been glued up with Gus at his rocket hide out in an undisclosed town hidden far away from civilization

"The Garage Mahal" on top of a little hill, surrounded by the Black Forest slightly west of Malfunction Junction, Indiana! :point:

@gus
what, no thicket of wild rose bushes to defy intruders? :)
Rex

Punji pits and, machine guns on trip wires around the perimeter.

I learned a few things from Charlie...don't yah know...better stay away from Copperhead road-

is that a non-wing sprinter I see? hmmmm... I prefer the wings, but slideways was nice too... had trouble braking into corner tho'

fm

View attachment 327031View attachment 327032

Nice FM, fellow sprint car driver on here that's rare. What's up with the caution tape, is the a rookie flag or just for when the wing comes off? Also what track?

I love wings as well and would run them occasionally but require the horses. The avatar is back in the day at Terre Haute and mostly non wing, those were the salad days, I ran from 87' to around 01' then super late models for a few years but alas the racing days are over. Fun memories. Here is a few ancient pics - it's all I have on my phone

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504123743.508644.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504123757.283931.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504123770.931330.jpg

And the reason I stopped.... lol (this is not me but my wife has quoted this for sure :). I've had my share though..
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504123818.458713.jpg

And the reason I stopped.... lol (this is not me but my wife has quoted this for sure :). I've had my share though..
View attachment 327040

That explains the slight twitch you have-:eek:
You see us Drag Racers do not need wings to fly. :eek:View attachment 327083
This is a 1970 SS/EA Heeeeemi Cuda kids. :point:

Rest in peace Mikey :sigh: A true down to earth (pun intended) type of guy.

If you read my post on Airfest thread - this is nearly duplicate post.

Flight details for reference:
9/3/17 Argonia KS Airfest 23,
Ultimate QCC - 85lbs
Engine O-3400
2nd flight of rocket - flown from pad 88. Approx 5 mph wind
Primary ejection charge 7gr, backup 8 for both drogue & Main.

Unfortunately nearly no video
978 mph to 15,839' , Awesome straight booster with the dirty smoke of the IMAX. I used mechanical pull pin cold smoke canister pulled at apogee. Rocket was so high could barely see smoke trail, but knew from the smoke that rocket separated at apogee so it did work.

Main out at 1100' and landed 0.5 mile straight south of pad 88

A special thanks to Gus Piepenburg for building the engine and giving me the inspiration for this flight!

Thank you to the volunteer launch crew of Curtis Reynolds, Dave Kittell and Andrew Adams!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504895669.795576.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504895624.555245.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504895648.543004.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504895709.431180.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504895729.481512.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504895753.732180.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504895770.059484.jpg

Depends on my schedule but I have another M1939 I may be assisting with another flight and volunteering.

Plus I told myself I'd only fly once a year and you know the price of an O.

If I pickup another O I'd like to fly it at MWP next year and but a couple little air brakes on to keep under waiver

Depends on my schedule but I have another M1939 I may be assisting with another flight and volunteering.

Plus I told myself I'd only fly once a year and you know the price of an O.

If I pickup another O I'd like to fly it at MWP next year and but a couple little air brakes on to keep under waiver

Airbrakes!? All that busywork and drag on the back end, and it Still threatens the waiver?
I really need to get out there and see an O flight sometime.....

Airbrakes!? All that busywork and drag on the back end, and it Still threatens the waiver?
I really need to get out there and see an O flight sometime.....

I would be 840' over QCRS waiver, a couple additions could fix that pretty easy.

The O engine, yes you have to experience one, funny enough I achieved my personal altitude record on my largest, heaviest and most air draggy rocket and by 4000' lol!

Nick, a fabulous flight. One of the highlights during my duty at the away cell.

Back