Ultimate QCC Explorer L3 build Indiana

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen blistered Aerotech cases before... Aerotech at the time claimed it was caused by the thermite igniter that had been used. The case was used again successfully, but I also remember a nasty cato the owner had a couple years later, but I have no idea if it was a blistered case or not.

So my two questions would be:
What kind of igniter and how was it installed?
Where and how big was the blister? I'm assuming there was only one...

First off, I want to say a sincere Thank You to Nick for letting me be a (very) small part of this project...what an honor! This rocket is indeed a masterpiece, Nick is a class act that executed his Level 3 with full family in tow and the utmost precision, and dare I say...perfection! Well done, Nick, very well done! Man, that was fun!:cheers:

Ready to go, early in the day on Saturday, the trip to the pad begins. Gus on the nose and Nick on the heavy end....looking good fellas!

N734_zpshkfrsvzt.jpg

The QCC magically teleports onto the pad, cameras are armed, electronic doodads start beeping, igniter is installed up the core, and then Justin strolls into the area. Yeah...a Justin vid capture of the flight!!!:cool: Obligatory pre-flight interview:

N745_zpsgbjdnewx.jpg

What it's really all about! Nothing more heart warming than sharing a special event with close family! So great to see the wonderful support for Nick and vice versa...totally cool family photo! Hope that's the 2016 Christmas Card photo!;)

N741_zpszknqi4wn.jpg

Moment of truth, the countdown commences....are you nervous???:shock:

N751_zpskgh0tzxn.jpg

Nick selected my favorite M motor...one of the original M's and about as full as you can get (maybe even a baby N on a good day!)...anyway stellar motor selection paired well with the exquisite Ginormo QCC. Beatiful big M1939 White Lightning plume erupting:

N754_zpsgvafdoqi.jpg

Gaining speed and altitude...climbing into a perfect November sky! Wait, 70 degrees, blue skies, and low winds in Nov. in Princeton, IL...huh?!? Love the glowing aura from the magnesium-rich flame!

N755_zpst6rhwu7y.jpg

Still burning...love the long 7 second burn! Just kept going like the Energizer bunny!

N758_zpskv7psqht.jpg

The crowd goes wild, clapping erupts from the audience, Nick nervously awaits deployment. Of coarse the up part is easy, the down part with a big ol' rocket isn't so automatic...alas no dramas here! A perfect dual deploy recovery as designed and a soft touchdown just south of the flightline. Yeah, buddy!

N764_zpseuatimb7.jpg

Once again want to offer huge congratulations to Nick and crew for this superb L3 Certification...a fine example by which others should strive to mimic! Awesome project, awesome flight, awesome execution all around!

-Eric-

Last edited:
Awesome write up Erik. Great pictures! Sounds like a great time was had by all. I'm so bummed I couldn't make it, but so glad everyone had a fantastic weekend. I'm hoping this rocket makes an appearance at a Three Oaks launch!

I've been following along from afar - awesome pictures rounding off an awesome build thread. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Wow Eric - thank you very much for the write up, pictures and the nice comments, i am truly honored man!

Thanks Tim and Ryan

So here is the flight report from this weekend - and thank you to everyone on here who has been watching, reading, encouraging, critiquing really appreciate it, the encouragement in the rocket community is really a special thing. Many people ask me about rocketry and I say "I have had SO many hobbies in my short life and the rocket community is the only one that Ive been a part of that everyone else wants you to win too...excluding drag races of course :).

you know i'm going to thank everyone too and I have so many people to think which are also in the following video but lets get to the flight report.

FLIGHT REPORT:
This isn't Black Rock so thunderous and low for me - $450 in propellant I want to see the entire flight, at least a smoke trail.

Midwest Power 2016 Princeton IL QCRS - weather Saturday was perfect 6-7 mph winds and sunny clear skies - thank God!
I prepped as much as possible so Saturday morning - I was going to be ready to head to the RSO table as soon as my dad arrived from his 5 hour drive.

Passed RSO - and the Pad crew was Gus, Eric, my Dad, My wife and my sons Andrew and Anthony. Justin Ferrand was kind enough to film it which the video below is just from my I phone and pad camera so will fall far short of Justin's.
LCO's were Eric Czteacherman and ? - he was funny - thanks for the great call.

6" QCC was just over 12' tall - we put on the 1515 rail and was off vertical just a couple degrees.
Final Weight: 72 lbs
Motor: AT 98 / 10240 - M1939 White Thunder
Total Ns: 10482 - 2% N
Burn time: 6.2 sec
Drogue Chute - 24" Mach 2 Rocketman
Main Chute - Approx 16' Rocketman
Altimeter Primary - RRC3 set to apogee and 700' main
Altimeter backup - SLCF set to apo +1 and 600' main
charges: 7 gram primary 8 gram backup for both drogue and main
Altitude: 6970' primary 7033' backup
max speed: 452 mph primary 456 mph backup
descent rate under drogue: 73 ft/sec
descent rate under main: 47 ft/sec hmm - going to have to do something different here but soft field and no damage
ejection charges - apogee and main came out on primary charges - all charges popped
damages: only known damage was the AT 98/10240 case blistered about 1/2 dollar size and was difficult to get the motor out.

Funny I was completely calm, just excited leading up to the flight and even through the count down - it wasn't until the coast phase that for about 20 seconds i was so nervous my hands were shaking.....EVENT.....EVENT ....WHERE IS THE EVENT...... BOOMM BOOOM ahhh SWEET! IT WORKED!! Falling we were able to see the flickers shining off the rocket (that day spent polishing paid off!). 2000....1000... my wife said WHERE IS THE CHUTE??.... its ok baby it will come out - there is 7 grams of BP in there and I dropped that altimeter to 700' BOOOMM there it is! WOOOHOOO!! When the chute came out I didn't care if it drifted into the corn or not, I passed and I get the rocket back was all I cared about. whew what a relief!!

Ignition was quick and thundered off the pad with a slight variation south of vertical take off - and that motor burned a long time. When the motor burned out, the bird was high enough where we could not hear to confirm whether the whistle affect in the air intakes worked or not. Smoke intakes were not used for this flight.

Ultimate QCC L3 RRC3 graph.jpgUltimate QCC L3 strattologger graph MWP 2016.jpg

[youtube]Sf4zyRzIwVc[/youtube]

Special Huge thank you to those who were a big part of this.

Gus Piepenburg - the legend around the Hoosier state of the big stuff he has accomplished, has tamed the rocket killer N-10,000 - huge 2-stager Vmaxes and he was there answering my phone calls, assisting, advising, etc... A real honor to have Gus as a friend and fellow gear head. Your awesome Gus, thank you thank you!..ok, enough of the bro-mance.

Eric Cayemberg - Eric it was great to meet you in person and thank you so much for your help, your excitement for this project, taking time away from your flying to shoot the great pictures and be there through this process. Thanks for the help on the Pad and your enthusiasm.

Justin Ferrand - L3 rocketeer / craftsman, the midwest premier cameraman who spends his weekend filming, then weeks after cropping, formatting, pruning through hours of files so we have a great video of our flights. Thanks Justin, really thank you very much and for your advice through this project as well.

Mike Crupe of MAC Performance - for his blessing, advice etc. thanks Mike
Nat Kinsey at Upscale CNC - a big part of helping to create the structure
Bob Jablonski of Countyline hobbies - Has help with all 3 of my Certification motors and both my L1 & L2 rockets
Chris Hebb in Greencastle, IN - founder of Castlemakers Makerspace with the design of the exit nozzle
Tim Lehr at Wildman Rocketry - the rocket started as an Ultimate wildman with custom payload and custom fin slots cut by Tim
Jason Griffin - for taking the time to talk with me on the ejection system - made testing a breeze
My Wife - she was really encouraging throughout this project
My kids Andrew and Anthony - a big part of this on launch day, from Pad and pad camera crew to the recovery crew. And to think, this rocket stuff all started by a book I had, I think it was "365 things you can do with your boys" it was on the list of fun things to do and look what that turned into.
JJSR - again thanks for the idea of upscaling a QCC. Likely I would not have thought of this until my son laid eyes your awesome scratch upscale of a QCC at LDRS in New York
Jim (K-tesh) - for being nice to make the OR file that i could modify from something reliable.
Teddy @ One Bad Hawk Harness - advice on sizing and some great harnesses!
Ky Michaelson from Rocketman Chutes - for exchanging the drogue and stepping up when time was getting short
Mark from Stickershock23 - great graphics and getting them sized right!

likely I will only fly this once a year.
Next flight Date and venue - unknown- need an open area for this monster
next motor - M1939 is a great motor for this so either that again or a N2000 White Thunder
next altimeter settings - 900' - 800'
next project?: I'll probably do the L3 shuffle - which means i'll take a little break from building?...naaa - a 4" Darkstar that I bought off Adrian (you had me at split fin) and likely a 2-stage of some sort - 54mm or 3" maybe - i would like to try a 2-stage split fin

Is it too crazy to build a 10 or 12" version? Not like I'm going to build many big rockets so not sure if I want most my HPR fleet 1 rocket but at least it would be one of my favs.

This would be a 2-3 year project

Let me list all of the negatives I can think of for an even bigger QCC:

Is it too crazy to build a 10 or 12" version? Not like I'm going to build many big rockets so not sure if I want most my HPR fleet 1 rocket but at least it would be one of my favs.

Get with your local club and see if you can make it a club project.

Yep yep yep! I'm happy to be a bad influence....I/we've had a pair of 12" rockets; they're beastly but fun to fly once in a while! So, my advice: do it!

Just recruit a lot of helpers in advance to help get the monster on the pad!!! I think the Wildman still has an O25,000 or two....that was a fun motor!

-Eric-

I didn't know if it would be possible to ever top the one you just built, but.... hot damn, that would be off the charts.

If you build one, make it a team project. I would like to help in some capacity. I could CNC cut or 3d print anything you want.

Is it too crazy to build a 10 or 12" version?
Just recruit a lot of helpers in advance to help get the monster on the pad!!! I think the Wildman still has an O25,000 or two....that was a fun motor!
-Eric-

I don't know what to say here, let's check with some of our peers-

Hi! :D My names Gus Piepenburg and, I have a 20 foot open deck car trailer with two 5800# rated axles...We could haul that thing anywhere!

Nick! "Wildman" Tim Lehr here... Ive got a BIG sale going on next week and.....I think I have an O-25,000 sitting around here. *ruffle**ruffle* There it is! I'll tell you what, I normally sell these things for 2-3000 dollars but, for you- $500 TODAY! You know how to reach me! ;)

Justin Farrand checking in! I can shoot some AWESOME video of the build, set up, launch and, recovery for a nominal fee! :) Let me know which way you go!

Chuck Haskin "The Drone Guy" :point: You EVER wonder what your neighbors are doing late at night in their bedroo- Scratch that! I'll get some great footage too!

Manny Ballestero here! "I" am really GOOD with Rocsim! Call me if you need me! :pc:

Eric Cayemberg here Dawg! :eek: I can handle any Class 3 paperwork you might need! Pen in hand....

"Grandpa" Richard Cash speaking up! I AM the FAA! Eric! Cross those I's and, dot those T's! I WANT that paperwork in BLACK INK and, I'll need TWENTY copies ASAP! :mad:

Arnie Witzke at your services! I know a thing or two about fire prevention! This is a Fire Extinguisher...
In case of fire.
1. Slowly approach the effected area...
2. Pull the pin...
3. Count to three...
4. Toss the Fire Extinguisher at the fire...
5. Run in the opposite direction...
6. Call 911! :hot:

Greg Olson, glad too be of service! I have a little experience with Plumbing! I can create a water sound suppression system that will be very environmentally friendly. Now, those Porta Potts- You guys are on your own! I don't even want too know what you guys eat! :no:

Good friend Adrian Butler willing to flick switches and, press buttons! I'm REALLY GOOD at it everyone...I AM! :blush:

Erik Czzzzwah at your humble service! :rant: Im VERY good on the PA and, I know the Kings English too boot....Yah!

David Reese willing to fly in from Kali-for-nia and, "Quality Assure" that thing! Once I sign it off I'm NOT responsible for property damage, loss of limb, loss of life...THAT is the Customers responsibility! :lol:

Jason Griifin- I can paint, do you like Yellow and, Black:confused:

Steve Pauling present! I'm pretty good with electronics! Here let me check this circuit....*lick* BZZZZZT!!!! Ow! That's a live one....we got a short over here! :surprised:

Claude Paquin, proud to be here! I can lay out your flow charts and, checklists...PLUS, I will bring some delicious pastries and, large bottle of Cognac to celebrate your imminent success! :eek:

* Im REALLY going to burn for that one. *

Did someone need to speak with their Creator?
- G*D?:y:
No...No my son, Brad "The Reverend" Wilson here to take your confessions...
- Will you did help me out a lot 12 years ago with my L-3 but, I think I'm in real deep here.
Nobody is that far lost my son!
- Well, you see Brad...I was baptized a Luth*rn...
Missouri Synod?
- No....a Wisconsin...leave the bar, drive to church, sit in the pew and, try not to spew...:puke:

Heretic! :bangpan: Bad Monkey! Bad Monkey! :bangpan:

Well, Nick it looks like your peers are showing a high level of confidence in you, the next step will be yours! :wink:

Last edited:
Ohhhh....

I know what I forgot too add.

Tom Maulsby here reporting for duty! :horse: Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine!
I'll whip that team into shape so they can carry that heavy rocket!
Now DROP and, give me TWENTY you Maggots! We need to build strength and, character ASAP!
I'm NOT your MOTHER so quit CRYING!!! :sigh:

If you build one, make it a team project. I would like to help in some capacity. I could CNC cut or 3d print anything you want.

Thanks Nate - that is a very generous offer! This is just in early planning stage but I'd like to take you up on that. I saw your thrust plate and looks beautiful

I don't know what to say here, let's check with some of our peers-

Hi! :D My names Gus Piepenburg and, I have a 20 foot open deck car trailer with two 5800# rated axles...We could haul that thing anywhere!

Nick! "Wildman" Tim Lehr here... Ive got a BIG sale going on next week and.....I think I have an O-25,000 sitting around here. *ruffle**ruffle* There it is! I'll tell you what, I normally sell these things for 2-3000 dollars but, for you- $500 TODAY! You know how to reach me! ;)

Justin Farrand checking in! I can shoot some AWESOME video of the build, set up, launch and, recovery for a nominal fee! :) Let me know which way you go!

Chuck Haskin "The Drone Guy" :point: You EVER wonder what your neighbors are doing late at night in their bedroo- Scratch that! I'll get some great footage too!

Manny Ballestero here! "I" am really GOOD with Rocsim! Call me if you need me! :pc:

Eric Cayemberg here Dawg! :eek: I can handle any Class 3 paperwork you might need! Pen in hand....

"Grandpa" Richard Cash speaking up! I AM the FAA! Eric! Cross those I's and, dot those T's! I WANT that paperwork in BLACK INK and, I'll need TWENTY copies ASAP! :mad:

Arnie Witzke at your services! I know a thing or two about fire prevention! This is a Fire Extinguisher...
In case of fire.
1. Slowly approach the effected area...
2. Pull the pin...
3. Count to three...
4. Toss the Fire Extinguisher at the fire...
5. Run in the opposite direction...
6. Call 911! :hot:

Greg Olson, glad too be of service! I have a little experience with Plumbing! I can create a water sound suppression system that will be very environmentally friendly. Now, those Porta Potts- You guys are on your own! I don't even want too know what you guys eat! :no:

Good friend Adrian Butler willing to flick switches and, press buttons! I'm REALLY GOOD at it everyone...I AM! :blush:

Erik Czzzzwah at your humble service! :rant: Im VERY good on the PA and, I know the Kings English too boot....Yah!

David Reese willing to fly in from Kali-for-nia and, "Quality Assure" that thing! Once I sign it off I'm NOT responsible for property damage, loss of limb, loss of life...THAT is the Customers responsibility! :lol:

Jason Griifin- I can paint, do you like Yellow and, Black:confused:

Steve Pauling present! I'm pretty good with electronics! Here let me check this circuit....*lick* BZZZZZT!!!! Ow! That's a live one....we got a short over here! :surprised:

Claude Paquin, proud to be here! I can lay out your flow charts and, checklists...PLUS, I will bring some delicious pastries and, large bottle of Cognac to celebrate your imminent success! :eek:

* Im REALLY going to burn for that one. *

Did someone need to speak with their Creator?
- G*D?:y:
No...No my son, Brad "The Reverend" Wilson here to take your confessions...
- Will you did help me out a lot 12 years ago with my L-3 but, I think I'm in real deep here.
Nobody is that far lost my son!
- Well, you see Brad...I was baptized a Luth*rn...
Missouri Synod?
- No....a Wisconsin...leave the bar, drive to church, sit in the pew and, try not to spew...:puke:

Heretic! :bangpan: Bad Monkey! Bad Monkey! :bangpan:

Well, Nick it looks like your peers are showing a high level of confidence in you, the next step will be yours! :wink:

Uh, the above sounds like another MWP ! That would be a good field for it. N or O motor 98 or N with cluster,

Man you should be in radio, I don't even know what to say to all that. Do all these rocket masters know that you volunteered them :).

I definitely can't afford an O25,000 - so since this is early planning stages I may be able to sell the idea of build
Light so flights are reasonable but build won't be. Or build cheap (sonotube) and spend on the back end - propellant. There was a thread a ways back on a carbon fiber dragon fly - that would be a good option - Python NC could do a NC and this could prolly fly on a high thrust N.
Maybe I will need to learn carbon fiber vacuum bagging along with honeycomb core find and we might have something that wouldn't require the Purdue football team to carry to the pad.

Gus, 12" would be 284" tall - I have an 18' trailer so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm slightly serious about this project - but may have to build a couple other projects to refine techniques.

As always your input is ....crazy....I mean appreciated.
Do you ever sleep by the way?! Oh I guess so - only when I call you.

Maybe I would quality for a Chicago Rocket Mafia slot but would hate to hear what the initiation would be, this is a rated G website.

Thanks Nate - that is a very generous offer! This is just in early planning stage but I'd like to take you up on that. I saw your thrust plate and looks beautiful

Thanks for the comment on the thrust plate. Just let me know what you need in regards to machining. If you need help with the design, I can throw it up in SolidWorks to work out any of the internal bays.

As always your input is ....crazy....I mean appreciated.
Do you ever sleep by the way?! Oh I guess so - only when I call you.

I'm glad you see the attempt at humor in the effort-

I really feel that you should keep the idea in the back of your mind but, pursue other projects until certain skills become more fine tuned. The reason I self impose a 6" dia. limit on myself has many factors...
1. Cost per flight. To stick an $800 dollar motor or motors (getting more expensive) into anything and, fly it is...well darn expensive-bottom line.
2. Sheer size of the rocket itself, the prep the setup and, recovery. Without help it can be a royal pain...
3. If you build a utter "Show Monster" do you really feel obligated every time you attend said show, that you want to drag this thing out when time could be spent elsewhere?

I'm not knocking down big, big rockets but, there are many factors that can make it very fun or a major chore to some of us when it just comes to having fun with my friends (some who I only see once a year).

The only person I've seen here in the Midwest who has that touch to do incredible larger projects over and, over again is Vern Hoag...(Sather sometimes too). I'm amazed at his building skills and, easy of overall effort involved when he flies anything...
He's a good source to contact if you ever want to head that direction.

There are many times I just enjoy flying, breaking all the components down...throwing them under the tonneau cover of my pickup and, going home. Or folding down the Camaros back seat and, hitting the highway!

I'm sure you know that there will many great sales next week, especially in Van Orin Illinois...Might want to check the budget and, it least get another M1939- for a rainy day! :rolleyes:

Got to get ready for work, take care my friend!

Last edited:
Thanks for the wisdom Gus. Good idea - a few years down the road perhaps.
Currently have a 4" dark star and wanting a 2-stager on the docket. Those will likely get the attention for a while

Picture of the Garmin DC-50 GPS dog tracker installed into the nose cone, nothing fancy, just bubble wrap.

IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG

My mom finished "the rocket sling " I had the basic Idea of just having something soft and some webbing and she really ran with it and surprised me with it this morning - so awesome. This will be for transportation and a shoulder sling - very cool.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479583993.295853.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479584005.210431.jpg

Hope to put it to use come spring and fly it again

Hey Nick -

I just noticed this today... a bit late to the congratulatory party, however, congrats on such an awesome project.
It's like you planned it all this way. The bird, video, execution, and due-diligence are all evident in your end results.

I keep meaning to put MWP on my launch list... someday.

Hey Nick -

I just noticed this today... a bit late to the congratulatory party, however, congrats on such an awesome project.
It's like you planned it all this way. The bird, video, execution, and due-diligence are all evident in your end results.

I keep meaning to put MWP on my launch list... someday.

Thanks Jim - hope to me you in person one day! Hope all fares well with you during your busy season - we all appreciate what you do.

This thread is moving from a build thread to flight thread.

Really have wanted to attend airfest for the last couple years. Chris C(VIII) has been building his L3 scratch V2 which I thought , man I'd like to see that launch if it ends up being close enough and that will happen at airfest too so this all came together to finalize the planning for an Airfest trip. This trip will also be first flight for a 54MD that I haven't flown yet.

After the successful M1939 flight at MWP what's next? Not really thinking of pushing the envelope every time, just really thought I would fly this once ever 1 or 2 years and hope to have a long lasting flyer. The M1939 was an a great motor for the rocket but the rocket can take a lot more as I built it as a tank. So I might as well put the biggest case I can fit in there and if I'm going all the way to Kansas then that is an opportunity to fly it higher than I would around the Midwest. So the plans will be to stuff a 98-6XL case in there and I like longer burn motors so O3400 would be a good match.

Quick sim in ThrustCurve
O3400 - 830mph 12K'

It's a smooth 4 sec thrust then trails off for a total of 6.2 sec. The only concern are the air intakes - since this would be my concern I decided to have some removable plugs for the intakes.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490830734.314220.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490830753.565877.jpg

Cut out a foam prototype- will be going on my friends Makerspace toys, a 3D digitizer then 3D printer.

The next item will be bumping up the main Chute and backup from 700' and 600' to 1000' and 900'.

The 3rd item will be the printed Faux exit nozzle that will be integrated with the Aeropac retaining ring.

4. To install unistrut guides

Last edited:
I think the intake covers are a wise precaution. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this beast, and believe me when I say that my V2 flight will be pedestrian by Airfest standards. Last year was my first time, and I think it warped my fragile mind...M's get launched there like C's get launched at my home field. That is no knock on C's or my home field mind you, I love them both.

I hear you Chris, and I still love the C6-5 too. If I had time at a launch I would watch every flight from a 1/2A to an O with childish wonder since I only make it to a few launches a year.

M's get launched there like C's get launched at my home field. That is no knock on C's or my home field mind you, I love them both.

I was also quite amazed by this fact. M launches barely getting a casual glance unless of course it was your rocket going up. Airfest is another world for us guys used to flying our local fields. As Chris can attest, any M motor launched around here will definitely be the main event. Seeing the QCC and V2 at the same launch will be worth the cover charge. Only 6 months to go :headbang:

Last edited:
Man, you guys are really making me want to go to AirFest if for nothing other than spectating. Chris, do you have any extra room if I could pull it off? Or I could drive perhaps!

Jack

Last edited:
Back