Tiamat JB-3 (1st USAAF Air to Air Guided Missile 1:23.5765 MMX Scale Build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've spent most of my teen and adult life on summer vacations along the eastern shore of Maryland & Virginia. Most of which were on Chincoteague Island. Access to Chincoteague Island is by a roadway passing across Wallops Island directly through Wallops Island Nasa Launch facility near it's visitors center.
I've spent many happy hours over the years admiring, photographing and later actually getting to measure many of the really interesting display examples of a number of "First Flown" Rockets and Missiles Launched at this research facility.
Most interesting and Daunting (as a modeler) has been the Tiamat missile and it's first flight test booster.

Heres a little of the History on this fascinating prototype missile: The JB Series research (JB-1 through JB-10) for The US Army-Air-Force was introduced in early 1943.
The Tiamat JB-3 "Jet-Bomb" is the US Army Air Force, first subsonic air-to-air missile program initiated in January of 1944 under project MX-570 with the prime contractor as Huges.
First test launched along a 0 length, angled rack from Wallops Island, Va using a 7 chamber custom booster on July 4, 1945. I'm sure that would have been a KEWL 4th of July for the residents of Chincoteague Island:)
Later (1946-1947) the Tiamat would be deployed from underwing pylons on A-26 Invader aircraft without the booster. Tiamat aquired it's targets by semi-active Radar seeker w/ warhead triggered by proximity fuse.

I have been dreaming of modeling this boosted missile for as Long as I've been visiting the Wallops Island visitors center where the last remaining example of this vehicle is hanging from the ceiling. To be sure it is quite an impressive craft.
Below are a few photos of the missile I intend to build. My original thought was to produce a craft as shown in the museum photos in all yellow. That said I have an early color drawing from 1946 with the missile in yellow body with red nose and red & blue wings. This also looks pretty kewl but I can not find a single photo of the missile with this coloring so looks like the all yellow will be our color scheme.

Work on documenting the Tiamat, drawings and templates begain in ernest after getting permission from the Museum to measure the exhibit vehicle in Augusst of 2005 with additional access granted in October of 2008, and September of 2009.
Actual work on the Scale model began in 2009 but was suspended rethinking the scale reducing the model size to 1: 23.5765 to use MMX motors rather then the invisioned C6-0's in the 7 motor booster to increase the chance of actually making the model a 2-stage, Gap staged Cluster as flown from Wallops on it's initial flight.
The current plan is to indeed produce this model to that scale, flying on a 7-MMX-II-NE booster with a single MMX-II sustainer. Should be an interesting first flight. Work on the booster and sustainer begin in ernest 07-05-2016.

Here are a few of the full size vehicle photos collected:

Tiamat-b08a2_BoosterCluster Fin arange(128dpi)_09-11-08.JPG

JB-3_Tiamat_ Hughes b&w SideView_1944.jpg

JB-3_Tiamat aam_on Wing Pylon 08-08-1947.jpg

Attachments

• Tiamat-01_Fullview-Vehicle-(right)-08-95.jpg
    Tiamat-01_Fullview-Vehicle-(right)-08-95.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Tiamat-02_b&w-Prelaunch Photo-(07-04-45)-08-95.jpg
    Tiamat-02_b&w-Prelaunch Photo-(07-04-45)-08-95.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Beginning work on the 7 motor, 13 port booster with a redesigned internal ducting system to vent exhaust (burn-thru) gases into the center core T2+ tube to the short gap staging area for the single MMX-II sustainer. Some of the vents need some reinforcment to allow more the a single flight so a 2 layer wrap graph paper .063" ID, .125" OD tube was spiral wound over a .063" brass mandrel.
To align all the T2+ booster tubes, a jig was made using 3/64" 3-ply aircraft plywood, the aft end will eventually become the aft closure for the Booster.
Wings and Booster fins are expected to be produced in folded Center rib reinforced 110lb cardstock. After fitting they will be CA soaked to harden.
More to come.

MM 422uc01d_Micro Tiamat 7-motor Booster Plan Dwg_07-12-16.JPG

MM 422uc02a_Micro Tiamat Booster Templates & parts_07-13-16.jpg

MM 422uc02b_Micro Tiamat Rear closure panel Close_07-13-16.JPG

MM 422uc02c_MM Tiamat Booster Jig with T2+ Tubes_07-21-16.JPG

MM 422uc02d_MM Tiamat Booster Jig SideView Tubes_07-21-16.JPG

MM 422uc03a_MM Tiamat Turned Balsa Sustainer Body(5.5in Long)_07-21-16.JPG

MM 422uc04a_MM Tiamat Booster Core T2+ motor Tube_07-23-16.JPG

MM 422uc04b_Tiamat Booster CoreTube exh. ports drilled .125in paper tube made_07-24-16.JPG

MM 422uc04e_6th Exh. port insert cut_07-25-16.JPG

Last edited:
You my friend, are not only an artist but the bravest man I know !! I couldn't even imagine down-scaling to mmx. Because I'm all thumbs these days, I would have gone the other direction!! VERY, VERY COOL !--H

This thing had got to be the coolest micromaxx rocket evah! It will be epic!

This thing had got to be the coolest micromaxx rocket evah! It will be epic!

Thanks Guys:
While it should be a great flying Scale model, I'm sure there will be more fine models offered here in the near future.

Yes guys Micro Clusters are nothing new. I currently have several 5,6, & 7 motor models in my fleet. My other rocketry nick name is "Mrcluster" given to me by a past president of our Club back in the early 1990's as I was clustering everything I could get my hands on. It is true I'm much rather cluster 5- D12's than fly anything APCP.
This particular project is a classic example of changing Motor Thurst level to improve flyability and more importantly returnability.

Moving on today; Working on the 6- Canted T2+ Booster motor tubes they have all been cut to length, marked and Drilled with the 1/8" forward exhaust vent holes. they are waiting for my decision on epoxy or White glue fastening. Once this decision is made this unit will be fixed and then the aft base plate will be cut to the outline. Another 3/64" booster front bulkhead will be cut and fitted along with 6 hardwood dowel booster tube closures will be faced with stainless steel tape and epoxied in place. Most of this work will likely take tomorrow evening and the rest of the weekend to complete. With any luck I'll have some progress photos ready for uploading Sunday or Monday as tomorrow and Saturday will be taken up by Family stuff.
Actually I'm really looking forward to Saturday's Annual Family Picnic & Maryland Blue Crab Feast... They are always EPIC in scope and Lots of outstanding goodies, Hard Shell Crabs and Beer, Bass Ale and Vodoo Punch! Good thing I won't be trying to do any close work Saturday LOL!!!

Perhap a little off topic but below are photos of a few of the many multi-motor Micro models currently in the fleet. Don't have my original 12 MMX motor cluster that was built & flown in 2000 as a Full A thurst cluster using the old MMX-1 1/12A motors. After it's Naked Test flight it was more or less eaten by my Grand-Puppy during a visit. Daisy chrewed enough of the clustered body I could not repair the damage. Some time in the furture I'll do another just for fun, but it's way down on the build que. Hope these don't take anything away from the Tiamat build but perhaps they will give others reading encouragement to start building and flying micro Clusters more!

337a-sm_XB-70 Valkyrie 180th Micro Cluster PMC_09-10-07.jpg

MM 337Lp01c_XB-70 Clear Rod LIFTOFF 6X clu_09-22-07.jpg

370_MM Cosmic Cluster (6 motor) Complete_11-14-10.JPG

MM 370Lp03b_Cosmic Cluster 4motor mid Flight_11-15-14.jpg

404_MM Conestoga-1620 EER (106.6667)_09-06-14.jpg

MM 404Lp02g_Conestoga-1620_on Recovery all Up complete success_11-15-14.JPG

405_MM Geo-Sat HV 3x downScale Cluster_07-18-14.jpg

Thursday wasn't a completely build free day.
Had some time last evening to do a little more work on our Tiamat Booster Cluster. Decided to use Gorilla wood glue rather than epoxy for the exhaust end joints with the core tube since the are all paper to paper. Alignment of the outer 6 booster T2+ tubes was a little more involved then first thought.
To ensure alignment I first ran full length lines 180deg apart on each tube. Numbered them 1 thruough 6 on the top side opposite the 1/8" Vent hole. Magic Marker ringed the aft end of each tube so they project 3/32" from the aft plywood base plate. Once that was complete, I numbered the inside surface of the aft closure plate (part of the alignment jig) and reassembled the jig. Ran a dark #1 alignment line on the Core T2+ tube and installed it with a spacer piece in the jig.
Normally I do not sand off glassine on tubes, but for this Cluster rig I figured it might add a little tooth to the joints surfaces so used 320grit sandpaper to knock off the glassine around the vent hole mounting areas. Using a sharpened tooth-pic, wood glue was carefully spread around the projecting vent tubes in the Core T2+ and the corresponding numbered outer booster tube. Carefully fitted each tube over the tiny vent tube seating flat against the built up core tube. Each of the 6 outer cluster tubes was given about 5 minutes to tack-up before the next had glue applied and installed. After all 6 tubes were seated nicely on the Core the entire jig was set aside to dry, while I cut and Stainless Steel Foiled taped covered 6- 1/8" long outer booster tube bulkheads.

Just a side note the Stainless steel adhesive backed tape i've been using for this type application makes an OUTSTANDING investment. If you build Clustered models this stuff out lasts aluminum duct tape by 20time over. Several years ago I purchased an 18yd roll of 2" wide Stainless steel foil adhesived backed tape from McMaster-Carr Cat # 76055A672 currently priced at 68.24 plus shipping. They also offer a 3yd roll for 20.47 don't have that cat number but if you enter the 18yd roll number the 3yd roll will also show up. The Tape consists of .002"- 304 Stainless steel foil with .002" thich Acrylic Adhesive. Once in place is does not come off.
The Specs say it's good for use from -30 to 250degs f, but makes an awful good bulkhead barrier for Baffels, Cluster bulkheads and heat linings for all kinds of applications. Expensive...yes. But more then worth it, if you like to fly clustered models more the a few times. Shelf Life can be greatly extended by keeping the roll in a large Ziplock baggie with as much air removed as possible before sealing. I seem to recall buying this item in 2002, it's still working perfectly today.

Back to the Tiamat Booster construction:
After completing the Booster Stainless/Hardwood dowel bulkhead plugs. I cut 3/64" - 3ply plywood forward closer ring and booster transition cap rings. these rings will help align the end of the turned balsa forward booster transition cone. with a forward end cupped to accept the aft end of the turned Sustainer body.
These two areas are a bit tricky as I have to find and drill vent holes to equal the 2- 1/8" gap staging hole in the forward end of the core booster tube. These holes will allow the air column to be vented out the 6- 1/8" plastic tubes in the aft base plate which will be drill out to about 3/32" ID openings. Still looking for a few more places to vent the air column but should be fine. After about an hour the booster tube cluster was removed from the jig. The jig aft closure plate was removed from the jig plate and Wood glued into place on the aft end of the cluster. Now we set the hole sub-unit aside to completely dry overnight.

Edit:
Some of the photos for the above mentioned operations. Starting with some of the Drawings needed to produce this little jewel.
These drawing are the basis on which this build is structured. While they do not cover all the intricate booster sheet metal coverings they do show most if not all the required measurements & detail photos to cover most of the questions.

MM 422b1_MM Tiamat air to air missile_Dwg 1-of-4_08-03-05.jpg

MM 422b2_MM Tiamat ATA Test missile(8.5x14)_10-02-08.jpg

MM 422b3_MM Tiamat, Genie & Far-Side graph paper(x5)_07-16-16.jpg

MM 422b4_MM Tiamat-Wing,Fin& Spar cardstock Dwg (x5)_07-31-16.jpg

MM 422uc03a_MM Tiamat JB-3 Balsa Sustainer Body On Lathe_07-21-16.jpg

MM 422uc03c_MM Tiamat JB-3 Body & Booster Core Tube Close_07-22-16.jpg

MM 422uc03d_Turned Balsa Body, Booster Transition & Outer booster tubes_07-22-16.jpg

MM 422uc04a_MM Taimat JB-3_Core T2+ Booster Tube & Build-up_07-22-16.jpg

MM 422uc04b_Tiamat JB-3_Core Booster Tube on Lathe after taper_07-22-16.jpg

Last edited:
Since friday not a lot of new stuff has been added. Sunday was recovery day, Several Too many Bass Ale's LOL! I did use the down time to get the build photos out of the camera and caption. So we can see a little more progress on the Clustered Booster. As I'm building this little 7 motor cluster I'm getting more excited about getting it on the Pad.

Let's see where did we leave off. After adding 6 custom paper vent tubes to the core Motor tube all 6 outer booster T2+ motor tubes were marked with lines 180deg apart the aft end marked at 3/32" projection from the rear of the aft closure plate (Bottom of the alignment jig) and a 1/8" forward vent hole drilled 1/8" from the forward end. After fighting with myself over the epoxy or wood glue choice the decision was made to go with Gorilla Wood Glue. Each vent end was sanded with 360grit to give it a little more holding "tooth". All 6 outer booster tubes were marked 1 through 6 and glue pad applied around the projecting vent tubes starting with Core vent #1, than the tube on the other side of the Jig brace #6 was applied after #1 had about 5 minutes to set. Waiting another 5minutes #2 tube was installed.
These 3 tubes joints were allowed about 10 minutes to further dry while I cut 6- 1/4" Hardwood dowels each 1/8" long. These will be the Outer booster tube bulkheads faced with .002" thick 304 Stainless Steel Adhesive backed foil.

After the bulkheads were cut the remaining 3- outer booster tubes #3, 4# & #5 were installed using the same procedure to ensure all tubes fit properly and aligned as well as could be expected. At this point the Cluster was set up vertically and allow to completely cure. while this process was underway I finished the bulkhead facing Stainless Steel tape application. Cutting and sanding the stainless foil to fit the T2+ forward openings stopping at the edge of each internal vent tube.

Time came to take the tube cluster out of the jig, At this time I also removed the Aft closure plate portion of the rear jig plate using an X-acto cutting through a paper pattern placed over the 3/64" plywood jig plate. Once this piece was free it was immediately fitted into the rear of the cluster matching up the numbered slots with the coresponding outer motor tubes. Wood Glue applied liberally to all these aft end joints outside and Inside the cluster.

Now came the slightly harder drilling of the Gap stage air column exhaust ports between each of the outer tubes at the forward core tube joint. These little openings have to be large enough to allow the hot gases for our booster burn throughs to vent out the smaller 1/8" center ring vent tubes. Which will be lined with 1/8" plastruct styrene tube. These tiny tubes will be about 1/4" long and CA installed in the aft closure plate with about 3/32" projecting from the rear. Each of the 6- tiny intersections will be opened with a dremel 1/16" bit and slightly enlarged with a diamond clad round needle file.

Once all Gap stage vent holes were opened our Stainless clad bulkheads are CA installed being very careful not to plug any of the vent tubes. a liberal med. CA soaking of the outside dowel/tube joints both seal and harden the joints. Next we cut a 3/64" Transition collar ring that will be epoxy mounted flat against the outer tube forward bulkheads once they have been sanded to present a flat forward joining surface. This was done with a 120grit Glit-Stick held firmly against the core booster tube sanding the outer booster tube/bulkhead joint until the 90 deg. joint was reached. the combination of the Stainless faced Hardwood Dowel bulkheads and epoxy applied 3-ply ring should prevent any of these parts from seperating for at least a few clustered flights:)
Once the epoxy had cured the Gap stage opening were round filed out to ensure they were still clear of any glue or epoxy. The unit looks pretty good, and fells solid as a rock. Last simple step was to add T2 x 3/16" motor stops to all 7 motor tubes and cut an forward 3/64" 3-ply plywood Booster adaptor ring to help center our T2+ core & sustainer tubes in the turned balsa tapered transition shown in an earlier photo.

That's it for now I'll have some alignment work to do to the Transition before it can be installed on the Booster to ensure it will have the necessary openings to allow the gap stage gases to pass freely to the opening provided in our motor tube forward closure plate.

More later.

MM 422uc05a_Tiamat 1st 3 outter booster tubes Wood Glue attached_07-28-16.JPG

MM 422uc05b_Tiamat last 3 outer booster tubes, bulkheads & St.Stl tape_07-28-16.jpg

MM 422uc05c_Tiamat Booster glued Up-Vertical_07-28-16.jpg

MM 422uc05d_Tiamat Booster Hd-Wood dowel w St.Stl.Tape_07-28-16.jpg

MM 422uc05e_Tiamat Booster basic glued-up_07-28-16.JPG

MM 422uc05f_Tiamat Booster Base Plate cut from Jig plate_07-28-16.jpg

MM 422uc05g_Tiamate Booster aft closure plate removed_07-28-16.jpg

MM  422uc05h_Tiamat Aft Booster plate installed_07-28-16.jpg

Thanks Dick:
Today got a number of things done on the Tiamat booster and began some of the work on the actual Tiamat missile itself.

Continued work on the Booster Balsa transition adding 3/64" plywood centering rings to center and drill the Bore holes in the Transition, Sustainer body and Nosecone. These rings will be temporary only tacked in place with white glue while drilling the core holes in all the balsa parts. These rings also help ensure I get to dead center on each of the parts, sort of important as they have to line up to get the sustainer motor to slip into the booster core tube recessed inside the balsa transition while seating the Tiamat body in the forward concave transition recess. Thinning this transition recess was nerve wracking as a slip of the dremel rotary bit would ruin the tapered transition. The aft end also need to be bored out to allow the venting of hot gases and allow the burning bits to reach the sustainer motor.
Seperating the forward part of the turned balsa oval sustainer was accomplished with a razor blade and very careful rotating of the entire sustainer balsa body.
Once the body was free of the Nose cone. new 3/64" centering rings were applied to each end to help get the centering holes.
I've decided to increase the Tiamat body tube to T3 to give more room for an 8" chute and 36" x 70lb kevlar shockline. We'll use Fliskit T2+ to T3 centering rings with one of my stock T2+ x 1.0" Motor tubes.
More to come.

Edit: 08-04-16: Photos from yesterday.

MM 422uc06d_Balsa Trans & Body w lite-ply centering spacers_08-03-16.JPG

MM 422uc06e_Balsa Trans Hollowed GapStage paths_08-03-16.jpg

MM 422uc06f_Balsa Trans forward taper hollowed_08-03-16.jpg

MM 422uc06g_Balsa Trans epoxied in place_08-03-16.jpg

MM 422uc07a_Balsa Sustainer NoseCone Cut & centering spacers on_08-03-16.JPG

Last edited:
Got most of the Balsa construction done today. More then I thought I'd accomplish:)

Yesterday the beginning drilling of the Tiamat body was done after carefully razor blade seperating the nose section from the body.
Today using 6" long drill bits I stepped the body and NC holes from 1/8 through 3/8" then enlarged the body opening with a round file by hand to ensure centering of the T3 body tube. Once the main body was hollowed and T3 body tube cut to length instead of centering rings the forward and aft ends were built-up with 1/2" masking tape. Using a bit more on one side then the other to correct a slight misalignment at the aft end of the body. It is critical that the aft end of the Sustainer body seat centered on the forward end of the Balsa Booster adaptor containing the Core Booster T2+ Motor tube that will engage the sustainer MMX-II motor which is designed to slip into the forward 1/4" of the Booster core motor tube. This alignment must be very close to allow the oval sustainer body to seat snuggly in the hollowed Booster adaptor.
The entire inside of the Balsa Booster adaptor has been CA soaked to harden and reinforce the walls. I'm considering adding a laminating layer of tracing vellum to the outside to further reinforce this section as it will have to take a bit of abuse at Staging.

Currently the Sustainer body is completely unfinished nor have I CA treated the exterior which will be done before priming to help keep the mass down. As of today the Sustainer with T3 to T2+ motor mount, 36" of 70lb Kevlar, Nosecone T3 Custom made Coupling with 200lb kevlar attachment loop has a mass of 8.8g. The booster section without closure cardstock or fins has a mass of 6.2g.

I'm fairly pleases with the rough fit up of these parts. There will be a bit of refinement to the NC/Sustainer joint as the work goes on. currently it's a decent fit but I think I can get the seam even closer with a little delicate sanding.

With any luck tomorrow I'll start grappling with the Booster Tube Closure fillers. On the full size Tiamat these covering were rolled sheet metal, welded in place. My plan is to attempt to make these pieces from 67lb cardstock then CA them for strength. As they should only have to withstand the outgassing of 6 booster motors I believe the CA harderned cardstock should work. If due to size, 67lb cardstock is to thick, I'll revert to the original plan which was to use thinner tracing vellum CA soaked to harden. I've used this method before but NOT where the Vellum would be subjected to some pressure and a little heat?

After I get a handle on the Booster closure issue the fins and wings will be tackled. I've printed both on 67 and 110lb cardstock. but have only experimented folding the booster fin with tracing vellum (which took the exact shape I'm looking for). If the Lighter cardstock folds as well, I'll use it. CA soaking to give them rigidity as they will be epoxy mounted on Booster tubes 1, 3 & 5.

The Tiamat Sustainer wings are another animal all together, they my not have a center spar as designed. I'm thinking of making 1/16" basswood cores for the 67lb cardstock skins. The core would be cut a little smaller then the detailing skins and would give me the opportunity to tab mount the wings into the wall of the Sustainer. Still working out which way a want to go with them.

More to come in the next couple days.

MM 422uc07a_Tiamat Truned balsa body _08-03-16.JPG

MM 422uc07b_Balsa Sustainer NoseCone Cut & centering spacers on_08-03-16.JPG

MM 422uc07c_Tiamat Body & Nosecone Drilled Out_08-04-16.jpg

MM 422uc07d1_Tiamat Body, NoseCone cut, Tubes In_08-04-15.JPG

MM 422uc07d2_Tiamat Nose & Body Sep_08-04-16.JPG

MM 422uc07d3_Tiamat Nose,Shoulder & T3 body tube_08-04-16.JPG

MM 422uc07e_Tiamat Body & NoseShoulder & T3 Bodytube Setting_08-04-16.JPG

MM 422uc08a_Tiamat Booster & Sustainer Joined_08-04-16.jpg

MM 422uc08b_Tiamat Balsa Parts apart view_08-04-16.jpg

Thanks Guys:
I was thinking the very same thing last night. I blamed it on working too late and too many brews LOL! But I guess if you look at the Taimat-Booster combination without fins or Wings it sure does look sorta-like a Squid:)

Today I got the remaining basic booster work completed. working on the Booster between tube closures I wanted to use 67lb cardstock but it was just to thick, and creased in all the wrong places. Tried Tracing paper but that felt just too thin. Found some medium weight Trancing Vellum that looks and acts just right.
Ended up bulding the closure pieces using the same technique the mechanics on the original project. Working from the Aft end of the booster the first piece is layed in almost the entire opening, Then a Second piece is worked in from the mid point of the Booster back to the joining aft closure section. Once the White glue has set completely. These parts will be CA soaked for rigidity,

After building all three Booster 3-piece fins (See pics) Actually two outer skins in a single section with a mid rib stiffener. They are mounted on the Booster to the Balsa transition break using white glue. Once this glue has set the fins will also be CA soaked for strength.

Photos will have to wait until tomorrow. Tonight is a Club Business meeting so won't have time for captioning.
More to come.

Alrighty now: Uploaded the first 9 pics for this booster closing. I'm pleased with the way this build is going.

MM 422uc09a_BeginTracing Vellum Aft booster closures_08-05-16.jpg

MM 422uc09b_Vellum Closure pre-rolled to fit recess_08-05-16.JPG

MM 422uc09c_3 aft booster closures installed_08-05-16.JPG

MM 422uc09d_All 6 aft openings Closed_08-05-16.JPG

MM 422uc10a_Begin Vellum forward booster closures_08-05-16.JPG

MM 422uc10b_1st forward to rear Closure installed_08-05-16.JPG

MM 422uc11a_Begin 67lb cardstock Booster Fins_08-06-16.JPG

MM 422uc11b_Score ID & Fold centerline (Leading edge)_08-06-16.JPG

MM 422uc11c_Score ID & fold spar lines_08-06-16.jpg

Last edited:
More photos of the Booster fin construction & application to the Unit. Only thing lacking now on the booster is the CA soaking and some minor detailing.

MM 422uc11d_FinSkin & center spar_08-06-16.jpg

MM 422uc11e_Spar DoubleWhtieGlue 1st side_08-06-17.jpg

MM 422uc11f_Spar & Skin 2nd whiteglue applied_08-06-16.jpg

MM 422uc11g_Root Edge Look at 3 fins_08-06-16.jpg

MM 422uc11h_3 Booster fins ready for install_08-06-16.jpg

MM 422uc12a_1st of 3 booster fin installed_08-06-16.JPG

MM 422uc12b_3 booster fins installed (SideView)_08-06-16.JPG

MM 422uc12c_Booster fins & Closures complete(rearview)_08-06-16.JPG

Last edited:
Today we did a little more building.
Using 67lb cardstock and 3/64" Basswood the 3 Tiamat wings have been laminated. I have tabs on the root edges which may or may Not be used to attach the Wings to the turned balsa oval body. I'm still considering exactly how I want to mount the Wings on this model.
Once this decision is made and the Wings are installed they like the Cardstock booster fins will get a good medium CA soaking.
The printed Detailing will be engraved into the cardstock and we well begin the finishing process.
more to come.

MM 422uc13a_Tiamat Wing 67lb CardStock Skins_08-07-16.jpg

MM 422uc13b_cut basswood wing insert_08-07-16.jpg

MM 422uc13c_Compass used to reduce outline_08-07-16.jpg

MM 422uc13d_X-acto remove scrap outline_08-07-16.jpg

MM 422uc13e_Sand Tip to root taper & airfoil leading to Tailing_08-07-16.jpg

MM 422uc13f_Double glue to side 1 of wing_08-07-16.jpg

MM 422uc13g_Double glue & align 2nd side wing_08-07-16.jpg

MM 422uc13h_3 Tiamat Wings for Installation_08-07-16.jpg

Wow, that looks nice. How did you draw the fin templates?

Dick:
All my drawings are done on Corel-Draw. currently I'm using Corel x-5 but will soon be upgrading to X8. Basicly I took photos of the original prototype hanging in the Wallops Island Visitors Center over the last 20some years. Going back many times to get additional views and measurements.

Once all that is known it's fairly easy to create a pattern and up or down size it to fit whatever scale is required. In post #7 above the Grid patterns and fin and Wing templates were generated using this system.

Ima prior squid, wife a prior chair controller but I gotta say, that is awesome.

Jeebus. That is some fantastic work.

Thanks for the kudo's dford & Tonimus: So far it has been an enjoyable & challenging build.

Yesterday I started the CA hardening process. I like using medium CA for this process as it give me a little more time to work it into some of the smaller spaces. Generally I'd mop CA onto the surface but for this project I'm using cotton tip swabs. Swabs make it easier to control where the CA is applied.
Before coating the Booster section & fins all the little spot weld areas were dimpled with a Needle & Pinvise. Hopefully after some sanding and a coat of cheapy primer I'll be able to relocate the tiny depressions which should add just a little to the surface interest.

Also applied the first coat of CA to the Tiamat body after engraving the panel joint lines an marking the limit line for the Wing forward & aft ends. I plan on adding alignment lines after sanding and application of a second CA coat. Didn't take any photos of this process. It's pretty boring and about as straight forward as anything in the hobby.
When the alignment lines are added I'll take a couple photos to show the management lines on the booster Transition, and base of the Tiamat balsa body.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Over the last couple days the Tiamat & booster have gotten a total of 5 coating of medium CA. sanding with 220girt sandpaper between coats. This has helped harden both turned balsa body, balsa very thin walled transition, vellum covered booster openings, & cardstock fins. It also helped show a couple dents and fingernail impressions I hadn't seen.
Before applying CA the major body joint lines were scribed into the balsa tiamat body (including a misplaced line that had to be refilled). Once these two major scribed line were applied, the body was fitted into the booster to spot the wing/fin alignment lines. Using a small plastic H-beam to extend the wing lines on the aft end of the Tiamat body preparing to cut the 3/64" slits for the wing tabs. Have to admit getting these lines correct was a real stress point. I ended up using my fin jig to ensure the line ended up where they were intended and parallel with the oval bodies centerline. With lines on and checked twice I used the same plastic H-beam scrap and a Strop sharpened #11 X-Acto blade to make the first on the line slits into the turned balsa body. enlarging each slit a tiny bit at a time one pass on each side of the centerline until the wing tab just began to fit. at this point the knife is put down and some slight pressing is used to set each of the 3 wings.
Now I'm at a point of decision. Do I use the existing wings I made at the club meeting last Saturday night which have slightly undersized internal basswood stiffeners or cut, shape, sand and laminate another set or two until I get the best fit possible? I'm leaning toward making a new set or two. I just think it would look better and stand up to the after CA soak scoring of elevator lines and such if I make the internal basswood stiffeners a little better fit. I think I'll take the weekend to think about and mull it over before moving on to the next step which is to Swing Test the Tiamat stage and the combined Tiamat with booster. I'll also go back to the cardboard cut-out to double check the LCP before adding any suggested nose weight.

After that I'm considering making a naked Test Flight, or not LOL! This is the kind of build I generally test fly before finishing but since this one is a single color with minimal decal and markings I may forego the test flight and just finish this puppy.
This is also one of those builds I'd really like to try to have fly from a scale launcher. The prototype flew for a zero length ocean front Angle Iron & Pipe launch platform. The trouble is: I only have a single photo of the Launcher which was taken from the rear. I can only guess at the launch angle and base my construction of what I can see from the rear view photo and my experience with rear world construction. I'm also going to use NanoBeam rail and 3/32" Plastic H-beam launch lugs no matter how this model is flown. I'm Thinking these small plastic H-beam lugs will be less abtrusive particularly if bottom mounted. We'll see how the weekend goes.

A few photos of the Naked model.

MM 422uc14a_Cut in Body seamlines & 3 fin placement Lines_08-12-16.JPG

MM 422uc14b_With H-beam as guide #11 cut Wing slots_08-12-16.JPG

MM 422uc14c_Dry Fit Wing #1_08-12-16.JPG

MM 422uc14d1_Test Fit Wings & Booster(LeftSide)_08-12-16.JPG

MM 422uc14d2_Tiamat CA Soaked Wings,Fins & Booster_08-12-16.JPG

Micro,
I've never seen a booster attached to the Tiamat. Excellent find and beautiful work!

I've spent most of my teen and adult life spending summer vacations on the eastern shore of Maryland & Virginia. Most of which were on Chincoteague Island. Access to Chincoteague Island is by a roadway passing across Wallops Island directly through Wallops Island Nasa Launch facility and it's visitors center.
I've spent many happy hours over the years admiring, photographing and later actually getting to measure many of the really interesting display examples of a number of "First Flown" Rockets and Missiles Launched at this research facility.
Most interesting and Daunting (as a modeler) has been the Tiamat missile and it's first flight test booster.

Heres a little of the History on this fascinating prototype missile: The JB Series research (JB-1 through JB-10) for The US Army-Air-Force was introduced in early 1943.
The Tiamat JB-3 "Jet-Bomb" is the US Army Air Force, first subsonic air-to-air missile program initiated in January of 1944 under project MX-570 with the prime contractor as Huges.
First test launched along a 0 length, angled rack from Wallops Island, Va using a 7 chamber custom booster on July 4, 1945. I'm sure that would have been a KEWL 4th of July for the residents of Chincoteague Island:)
Later (1946-1947) the Tiamat would be deployed from underwing pylons on A-26 Invader aircraft without the booster. Tiamat aquired it's targets by semi-active Radar seeker w/ warhead triggered by proximity fuse.

I have been dreaming of modeling this boosted missile for as Long as I've been visiting the Wallops Island visitors center where the last remaining example of this vehicle is hanging from the ceiling. To be sure it is quite an impressive craft.
Below are a few photos of the missile I intend to build. My original thought was to produce a craft as shown in the museum photos in all yellow. That said I have an early color drawing from 1946 with the missile in yellow body with red nose and red & blue wings. This also looks pretty kewl but I can not find a single photo of the missile with this coloring so looks like the all yellow will be our color scheme.

Work on documenting the Tiamat, drawings and templates begain in ernest after getting permission from the Museum to measure the exhibit vehicle in Augusst of 2005 with additional access granted in October of 2008, and September of 2009.
Actual work on the Scale model began in 2009 but was suspended rethinking the scale reducing the model size to 1: 23.5765 to use MMX motors rather then the invisioned C6-0's in the 7 motor booster to increase the chance of actually making the model a 2-stage, Gap staged Cluster as flown from Wallops on it's initial flight.
The current plan is to indeed produce this model to that scale, flying on a 7-MMX-II-NE booster with a single MMX-II sustainer. Should be an interesting first flight. Work on the booster and sustainer begin in ernest 07-05-2016.

Here are a few of the full size vehicle photos collected:

My Guillotine Fin Jig would be of little if any use in a build like this. Your workmanship is fantastic. In fact, it's YUGE! :cheers:

Back