Shear pin sizing on a NON supersonic single event rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NC drag will be the majority of the drag that is why they are grouped together. For calculation purposes you can create a very short "dummy" body tube section between the NC and the original base to get an estimate of the NC Cd.

The NC drag will be the majority of the drag that is why they are grouped together. For calculation purposes you can create a very short "dummy" body tube section between the NC and the original base to get an estimate of the NC Cd.

So... Open Rocket does break the cone out separately?

I think your right, I've just invested so much time in RS, but maybe its time to break away Apogee does not seem to want to support it anyway :-(

They both have their strengths/uses. If I had the money for RS, I'd still use both, but OR does 98% of what I want to do with it.

First time I have heard of RasAeroII. Are you saying it could replace RS and OS or just supplement them?

All these years I've been using only 1 shear pin in fiberglass rockets unaware that they could "bind" due to the "uneven retention". And my rockets were apparently unaware as well.

It's that Statics 201 vs. Dynamics 203 thing again. You can sit your 100 pounds on your 1 square foot butt all day, but if someone kicks you with 100 foot-pounds....

Yes, I know. Units. That is the point. That little bitty shear pin can resist 31 pounds force applied carefully, but it has little capacity to absorb energy. That is why it fails, and the high-angular-momentum rocket pieces are flying off in opposite directions, long before it can twist the rocket pieces into a binding situation.

"Long" being relative to milliseconds.

All these years I've been using only 1 shear pin in fiberglass rockets unaware that they could "bind" due to the "uneven retention". And my rockets were apparently unaware as well.

It's that Statics 201 vs. Dynamics 203 thing again. You can sit your 100 pounds on your 1 square foot butt all day, but if someone kicks you with 100 foot-pounds....

Yes, I know. Units. That is the point. That little bitty shear pin can resist 31 pounds force applied carefully, but it has little capacity to absorb energy. That is why it fails, and the high-angular-momentum rocket pieces are flying off in opposite directions, long before it can twist the rocket pieces into a binding situation.

"Long" being relative to milliseconds.

I'm with you. I think a lot of us are scientifically minded and perfectionistic, and there is a lot of overkill that goes into many designs and implementations. Many things that are theoretically possible are so statistically unlikely that I just don't worry about them.

Back