ROCtober - Southern California's largest Youth Rocket Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer714

Reaction score
ROCtober time again!

It is time again for ROC (Rocketry Organization of California) to have it's annual ROCtober rocket launch October 8-9 2016 at Lucerne Dry Lake Bed in Southern California.

This is a fun event specifically focused on youth groups. Rocket Launching begins Saturday Morning and includes night Lunches Saturday night. Sunday launching begins in the morning and ends at noon. A flyer is attached with the details. Camping is encouraged on the lake bed Saturday night. This year we are going to have a night rocket contest plus a special program for obtaining a Jr. Level 1 certification from NAR.

Over the past 8 years of ROCtober, we have launched over 10,000 rockets. Look on ROC website www.rocstock.com for more details. If you are interested in attending, please send your group information from the form at https://rocstock.org/roctober/

Please contact me if you have any questions,

Mike Kramer
Rocketry Organization of California
ROCtober Committee

If you've never been to ROCtober, you owe yourself a treat! Everything is organized and runs so smooth, you don't realize so many rockets are getting off the pad in such a short time. Don't get me wrong, there is no rush or pressure but it all flows so well. Everyone in the club is friendly and helpful, with some serious experience on the lakebed. Thanks Mike, your launches are great. See you for ROCstock like every year! (R.I.P. Nibbles!)

View attachment ROCtober 2016 8-1-16b.pdf

Updates for ROCtober, October 8-9 Lucerne Dry Lake. Attached is the flyer for the event, lots of groups have reserved already. This year we have a special Jr. Level 1 certification program, and a night rocket contest!

Mike K.

Hey Kramer

You said were having a night rocket contest what is that going to entail?
should I order 3 motors for "Aurora Borealis" my king viper?
will the be a pad set away for complex M's?

Thank Jacob

Hey Kramer

You said were having a night rocket contest what is that going to entail?
should I order 3 motors for "Aurora Borealis" my king viper?
will the be a pad set away for complex M's?

Thank Jacob

Moonlight Jacob, you rule NIGHT LAUNCH !

I was going to ask if Saturday night had a waiver for Night Launch or was going to be Class 1 only .

Kenny

If you've never been to ROCtober, you owe yourself a treat! Everything is organized and runs so smooth, you don't realize so many rockets are getting off the pad in such a short time. Don't get me wrong, there is no rush or pressure but it all flows so well. Everyone in the club is friendly and helpful, with some serious experience on the lakebed. Thanks Mike, your launches are great. See you for ROCstock like every year! (R.I.P. Nibbles!)

I birdie told me you were going to Level up at ROCtober .. so quit playing with your pole and get busy with some J/K powered beast !

You have a mandate also to NiteFly something GREEN ..

FizWizzie ! FizWizzie ! FizWizzie !

Kenny

Moonlight Jacob, you rule NIGHT LAUNCH !

I was going to ask if Saturday night had a waiver for Night Launch or was going to be Class 1 only .

Kenny

Thank you Kenny
Every night launch I've been to at ROC the full waver was in place
I will be have I,J and K going up at night that i did not launch at LDRS
Still up in the air if im going to launch the M cluster

Thank you Kenny
Every night launch I've been to at ROC the full waver was in place
I will be have I,J and K going up at night that i did not launch at LDRS
Still up in the air if im going to launch the M cluster

Your rocket is so dramatic any cluster that takes it almost outta site is a show stopper.. and you dont have the additional FG weight penalty to boost.

Kenny

full waiver at night!!!

Gregg H has soo many lights on his project that I think he needs to wear a welders mask to put in the igniter. Got something bright?

As far as the M' pads, we will have 'the back row' if you have something complex, let me know and i can find out about the 'away pad'

Mike K

For ROCtober this year we have a special program for 14-17 yr old flyers, the Jr. Level 1 push. The program consist of a special priced rocket and motor, a tutorial for building, and a program at ROCtober for JR. Level 1 certification flights. attached is a flyer or go to https://jrlevel1.com/ for more information. Special Thanks to Madcow Rocketry and Bay Area Rocketry for helping with the program. Jr Level 1 flyer View attachment level 1 push ROCtober 2016b.pdf

Mike K

I birdie told me you were going to Level up at ROCtober .. so quit playing with your pole and get busy with some J/K powered beast !

You have a mandate also to NiteFly something GREEN ..

FizWizzie ! FizWizzie ! FizWizzie !

Kenny

Sorry- bite's on and I gotta go play with my pole. Zero dark 30 today for combo best ever meteor shower potential and dawn fishing-best of two worlds! Now if i could just launch from the boat.........

5 days and counting

Should have perfect weather. Plus Draco the Dragon is putting on a show on Saturday night.

Another great ROCtober, in 16 hours of range time, we launched 1,639 rockets, including 6 successful Jr Level 1 certifications.

Lots of fun, LOTS of rockets, perfect weather, and a safe event. Thanks to all the volunteers that helped out.

Mike K

So whos going this year? October 12-13th. I'll be there. I'm a new member of both the ROC and the NAR. Looking forward to it!

I'm planning on arriving Friday afternoon. Where should i park my truck and trailer. I know not to park on the front row, but will there be markings to let me know where i should park?

Thanks
Jeff
TRA 5903
NAR 103699
ROC 51917190

I'm planning on arriving Friday afternoon. Where should i park my truck and trailer. I know not to park on the front row, but will there be markings to let me know where i should park?

Thanks
Jeff
TRA 5903
NAR 103699
ROC 51917190

Jeff,

Roctober was last weekend so unfortunately you missed it. Fortunately, the next launch is just around the corner: Rocstock November 9-10. https://rocstock.org/rocstock/

Back