So, how do you relax?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcCann

Reaction score
This place has gotten way too uptight and touchy. Much less fun than it used to be, and it seems all respect and ettiequte has been thrown out the window in favor of arrogance and elitism.

So.... how do you guys chill out when you need to turn it down?

Personally I favor-
2eat2drink-bushmills.jpg

however it's getting harder and harder to stay drunk all the time, so I'm reaching out to other things.

Found some fun stuff on youtube.... it's weird, but this ASMR stuff puts me to sleep pretty well. It started with ASMR Barber for me, when I was looking for info on straight shaving.
[youtube]EwYKR-Sx7tc[/youtube]

Then there's always massage videos. I'll let you find your own but it's oddly relaxing (ok not as odd as watching a guy get his melon shaved in total silence.)

Then recently I found this bat-poop crazy chick.... Just wow. Really an internet gem of insanity. She's a bit awkward....I think her pace is too fast, and I can't watch the eating videos. But I could listen to her read a phone book as I drifted off into slumber-
[youtube]93_tTgMNIlM[/youtube]

I've also been known to watch hickok45 videos to sleep... ;)

Last edited:
Dave,,
That's a bit crazy,, lol..

To wind down I try to remember and envision
when I was a kid lying in my fathers hammock in Pennsylvania
looking up through the trees as the hammock gently sways back and forth...

You have to really focus on something tranquil like that until there are
no more thought of anything else in your mind...

Teddy

I have been riding my bike a bunch, laying in the hammock in the back yard and taking a tug of rum from time to time. There have been so many changes in my life this past year it's hard to keep up so I have been trying to learn to go with the flow and not try to steer it. I have also been trying to learn a very important lesson. Namely, nobody cares what I think. This keeps me out of the political threads for the most part.

Something that I do if I can't go to sleep easily is count prime numbers. Pick a random three digit number and start reciting the next one from there. Usually doesn't take long to nod off.

Edward

This hobby used to be it...when I have a build going on, I find that the research, design challenges and decisions along the way, and the build itself a good way to relax...and it only gets hectic packing up and the launch itself.

I'm a much happier person when I stopped watching the news...and just about all the other crap on TV....a 24 hr news channel may have been a novel idea in the beginning, but I think it is the cause of all the anxiety today.

Music. In particular, selected New Age tracks or music for Reiki. I choose those tracks that do not have a discernible melody so that I don't hum along mentally. I just let the sound fill my head and before long, my mind is wandering off to other zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lets see. Long walks with the dog on the beach or in the country. Sitting in a comfortable chair or just comfortably sitting and watching the river flow by with all the wildlife, or, sitting by a bonfire and staring into the flames while sipping on whiskey...oh, yeah...letting the brain dissolve into nothingness.

I count myself lucky. My wife makes my favorite whiskey. It eases the pain of the paperwork involved in making alcohol (for legal sale).

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469294807.313205.jpg

If this forum gets you that stressed out that you have to hit the booze, then you are spending too much time here and taking things way too serious. Life is too short, enjoy it with your family, friends, read a good book, go for a walk, motorcycle ride.

Cold beers and a campfire with great friends in our beautiful Colorado mountains,are an amazing way to relax!

Music, the elixir of life, played on the highest fidelity system available.
Pipe Smoking in the evenings, again with exquisite sounding headphones on.

I'm now going to Sport Clips to get the VIP version which includes the shampoo and massage, thanks for sharing your video with us.

I'm now going to Sport Clips to get the VIP version which includes the shampoo and massage, thanks for sharing your video with us.

I wish it was my video.... Just a guy I found online who tapes it ... Italian I believe. Its also quite interesting to watch barbers and customs around the world.

I need to find a good local barber.... haven't had one since I was a teen

A classic Unlimited design. Reminds me of Miss Thriftway, or the Slomo's from the 60"s. Very nice.

Nice, we have the real thing coming to town either next weekend or the weekend after for the Atomic Cup race (might be the Columbia Cup) iirc.

I like to get up at oh dark thirty and get to my not so local fishing hole. I pay a modest second mortgage fee and head to the lake. After going thru the metal detector and passing the Citizen Test, they finally admit me. We do this dance two or three times a week-how come they never remember me? Then I drown worms all morning. After the sadistic side of me is happy, I proceed to cast one of every lure Walmart, Big 5 and Bass Pro Shop sells until just before sundown. Then, burnt, dehydrated and totally demoralized, I flail the water with my fishing pole and throw my tackle box in the lake. Did you know some of those b*st*rds float? I like to put on Enya for the drive home after I stop to buy a fish taco to make myself feel better. Good times, good times!

Last edited:
In order: building and flying RC airplanes, ditto for rockets, reading, a little traveling, hanging out at home and doing nothing for an afternoon once in a while.

I like to get up at oh dark thirty and get to my not so local fishing hole. I pay a modest second mortgage fee and head to the lake. After going thru the metal detector and passing the Citizen Test, they finally admit me. We do this dance two or three times a week-how come they never remember me? Then I drown worms all morning. After the sadistic side of me is happy, I proceed to cast one of every lure Walmart, Big 5 and Bass Pro Shop sells until just before sundown. Then, burnt, dehydrated and totally demoralized, I flail the water with my fishing pole and throw my tackle box in the lake. Did you know some of those b*st*rds float? I like to put on Enya for the drive home after I stop to buy a fish taco to make myself feel better. Good times, good times!

Yep, that's fishing. But you forgot the speeding ticket, the flat tire and broken shear pin.

Whenever things get real bad, I make an appointment with my massage therapists.
massage-01.jpg

Disc golf (rarely anymore), hang with my kids, video games (League of Legends, Skylanders with son), hang out with my wife, and movies/TV (huge movie buff, and love good TV series)

Like you all, I use this hobby and others. I also agree that unplugging from the world news, and the craziness that it is may be the most important thing. I have too many hobbies, model trains, rc cars, board gaming etc. I also play video games with my kids, world of tanks, destiny, Forza etc.

But- I'm 43 now and still couldn't completely relax until I made a huge change about 3 years ago, and decided to get full bore back into shape. For the first time since age 13, I started playing soccer again. Now- I play 3 days a week, in 3 different fairly competitive leagues, and it's the best thing I've ever done. I sweat out all the bad toxins etc, have made dozens of friends, and lost 50 pounds. I can now actually just relax and not have my wife yell at me for fidgeting in bed for hours! Whatever you choose- Bike riding, hiking, pick up basketball etc, my best advice- would be do something active.

Full disclosure- I also drink a glass or 2 of Red Wine almost every night- helps you relax, and the health benefits of red wine are well documented. (same as many other red fruits like cherries etc)

Bourbon.

Actually, while watching the convention this week it was wine, not bourbon, because I probably would not have survived the amount of whisky I would have been compelled to drink. Gotta pace yourself. I learned that lesson during the primary debates. I've got plenty more wine stocked for the other convention this week, so I should be ok.

My wife and I practice yoga off and on. We do it mostly for exercise and fitness, and I don't really go in much for the spiritual or philosophical aspects that some instructors bring to the practice. But many of the classes end with a period of rest where you lay flat on your back, listen to relaxing music, and the instructor may guide the class in an intentional conscious relaxation exercise. It's great, and probably the most relaxing thing I do on a regular basis.

Back