The Explorer model missile kit: pre-model rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine scored this very obscure model rocket-ish kit from an antique model engine collector.

Was manufactured in Fort Worth, 14, TX in the days before zip codes, pre 1963.

The three rockets in the kit are fairly crude with cardboard fins and paper nose cone. The body tubes are also the motor casing.

The really odd thing is that it comes packed with mandrels and materials to make the solid fuel motors.

Anyone know about this artifact or who in Fort Worth created this kit?

I know this product flies in the face of model rocketry and does not meet the safety code. I hope that the moderators will allow a discussion concerning this kit as a historical artifact of early or pre-model rocketry as long as motor making details are not discussed.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Despite the drawing on the cover, is there anything inside the box that indicates that this was intended to be launched? or was it just a display model?

Despite the drawing on the cover, is there anything inside the box that indicates that this was intended to be launched? or was it just a display model?

Absolutely was intended to be flown. The instructions go into great detail about making the three motors with the supplied mandrels. All those little plastic bags are full of various chemicals that are combined to make the motors. And that is all we will say about that.

I think the kit shows a path that we are glad was not taken and shows an intersection between fireworks and model rocketry.

Texas is a long way from West Virginia, but I wonder if this was in some way inspired by the Rocket Boys.

You probably realize this, but don't mix the yellow powder with the grey dust.

You taking this along to NARAM for show and tell?

You probably realize this, but don't mix the yellow powder with the grey dust.

You taking this along to NARAM for show and tell?

Roger that! We are not mixing anything with anything. This belongs to my flying buddy Richard Ng and he is bringing to NARAM for show and tell and possibly sell.

Texas is a long way from West Virginia, but I wonder if this was in some way inspired by the Rocket Boys.

Based on the name, my guess it was named after the Explorer satellite to tie their product to the excitement of the space age around then.

Back