Bundled Parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this base has been covered or not, but today I was a little disappointed to learn that some of my preferred rocket parts are being bundled in assortment packages. This might be OK if I had a need for every thing in the package, but that isn't the case here. I'm browsing through the nose cone section and noticed I can no longer get just the 55 AC by itself. Granted, I'd usually buy 1/2 dozen at a time but now it's packaged with 55 BB nose cones. 2 of each per package. Damn! If I wanted 1/2 dozen of them now, I'd end up with 6 BB nose cones for which I have little or no use for. This stinks! Here's what said vendor told me when I asked what was up with ordering what I wanted.

I was breaking up the packs and selling the nose cones individually. I ran into problems in that I would end up with a surplus of the less in demand nose cones. Then I would get e-mails from customers asking when I would get the more desirable nose cones back in stock but really didn't have an answer since it depended on when the quantities got low on the less desirable ones. So I decided to just sell the packs as they come from Estes.

Uh...this turd ain't gonna flush with me. I get it, that Estes wants to sell it's product, but they're not even giving the vendors a break. They're getting it packaged the same way we are. Personally, I hope the vendors don't suffer losses from this kind of product distribution. I certainly am not going to buy or pay for something I don't want or need.

I purchased that very same pack to get a 55 BB for my one-day-I-will-get-to-it APRO Lander build (I was surprised you seemed to use the AC on that one rather than the BB; I'll be using the BB). I figured I use the others... eventually. It does mean I have a couple of 55AC's sitting unused right now.

Sirius seems to still be breaking up the multi-packs, and have them available separately: https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/estes-pnc-55ac-nose-cone-751.html. The only reason I didn't order those originally was it was easier/cheaper to bundle the multi-pack into a larger JonRockets order I had going. But if I wanted an Interceptor nose cone I'd be off to Sirius for sure; there's no *way* I would buy the whole sci-fi pack for $15 or whatever just to get that one nose.

Anyway, it seems that in general Estes isn't too interested in selling loose parts; most of their stuff (with a few exceptions) is sold in combo-packs, which I agree is annoying. Even if they didn't want to sell in single-quantities, it would be nice if they offered bulk packs of the different cones so that vendors who *do* want to could manage their stock more effectively.

I purchased that very same pack to get a 55 BB for my one-day-I-will-get-to-it APRO Lander build (I was surprised you seemed to use the AC on that one rather than the BB;

Anyway, it seems that in general Estes isn't too interested in selling loose parts; most of their stuff (with a few exceptions) is sold in combo-packs, which I agree is annoying. Even if they didn't want to sell in single-quantities, it would be nice if they offered bulk packs of the different cones so that vendors who *do* want to could manage their stock more effectively.

Funny, I designed the Lander for the use of a BB and even mentioned it in the thread. I have no answer why there's an AC atop of that rocket rather than the BB, except for Gremlins I say, Gremlins are toying with my parts again! Or just maybe I had a senior moment and grabbed the AC out of habit. I was actually glad that I was going to use one of those dusty old BB nose cones after all.

And I agree totally. Let the vendors have a choice in the matter. They're just passing the buck on this because they don't wanna get stuck with them. This is where I call it, unfair marketing.

From what I understand with my conversations with Estes CS reps, is that they no longer make their own parts. They are made for them by someone in China. Estes gets them and ships them out. The only time they sell stuff individually is when something arrives damaged or missing parts, then they de-bag it and sell the salvageable parts.

I too, agree that it sucks. Not condoning the practice. I wish they could still make money making kits and selling parts like they did "back when".

Last edited:
Bundling is a standard practice used by manufacturers to sell less desirable items. Throw the lower sales volume items in with popular ones and you increase sales overall. It also helps justify the cost of the molds needed to make these plastic nose cones. Molds are REALLY expensive so you have to sell a lot of parts to recover the cost. If you don't want to buy the bundle you can buy a turned balsa nose cone from someone. No molds to make, but they have to set up the lathe to turn it so the nose cone costs more.

Bundling is a standard practice used by manufacturers to sell less desirable items. Throw the lower sales volume items in with popular ones and you increase sales overall. It also helps justify the cost of the molds needed to make these plastic nose cones. Molds are REALLY expensive so you have to sell a lot of parts to recover the cost. If you don't want to buy the bundle you can buy a turned balsa nose cone from someone. No molds to make, but they have to set up the lathe to turn it so the nose cone costs more.

All this bundling was never much of an issue to me until recently. It's too bad that the 55 AC nose cone has come into the picture. It's my go-to nose cone for the most part. I own a lathe. I can make whatever I want to. I suppose I'll be adding the 55 AC to the mile long list of other nose cones that aren't readily available or becoming bundled with unwanted parts. My actions on this are probably low on the "Big Picture" scale, but I'm sure I'm not alone being disgruntled about it. I feel fortunate that I still retain a "craftsmanship" frame of mind and not getting sucked into the lap of convenience, because I WILL make it myself if I have to. I'm so used to doing things old school, that it's just another portion of the build to me.

I think you can get many individual parts made from balsa machining - not sure about plastic.

Buying a few bundles you can save the extra for future use. If you buy a lot, you might be able to donate the unwanted to a local organization (scouts, etc.).

Or trade parts - I think that grab box went around a few years ago, that people signed up, took something they needed and added things they didn't. I didn't participate, so not sure if that was worth the shipping costs or not.

Back