Weird Dark Halo in Photos around flame

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianwh

Reaction score
I bought a Nikon D3100 a year or so ago and have had an issue I don't remember with other cameras. On really bright flames, I get a darkened region of sky in the area immediately surrounding the flame. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a solution through changing the settings or something? Effect was really visible on Vern Knowles's flight at NXRS last month.

27874794301_6911631c14_k (1).jpg
27874794301_6911631c14_k (1) - Copy.jpg

I use a circular polarizer, if that's relevant.

Last edited:
Are you shooting JPEG (default) or RAW mode? It looks like an image processing artifact.

Can't answer the OP's question... Can offer a suggestion... Photoshopping the halo out.

Last edited:
Looks as though "D-lighting" is your problem (I'm a Canon shooter, but the previous links seem to define it pretty well). I would also suggest you shoot in RAW and convert to JPEG in post-process if you have that capability.

I was shooting in JPG, thanks for all of the good feedback though! Is there a good free program to use to work with the RAW files on windows? I'll check out the D-lighting too.

Such a great forum I'm always so impressed by the help!

You know when I saw those pics (which are pretty cool BTW), it immediately reminded me of growing up and watching the Apollo launches. You would see the same kind of effect on the exhaust plumes.

[YOUTUBE]TmHABUfjYPI[/YOUTUBE]

The launch is at about 4:17.

Greg

I'm not a Nikon user, but a quick Google search seems to show that a setting called "D-lighting" might be the culprit, worth trying with it set to off.
Looks like a very similar effect in the following links:
https://nikonites.com/d7000/5913-dark-halo-over-bright-objects.html#axzz4EA73tTaY
and
https://www.photography-forum.org/threads/dark-halo-around-bright-objects.44998/

I think what Viking said is pretty much spot on - I also don't think it matters whether you shoot in jpeg or raw, if the D-Lighting setting is on you'll get the halo...

I noticed you mentioned you are using a CPL filter too, good move! I've just started using them on my camcorders and get much better, deeper blue skies now (but do loose a stop or two - doesn't matter that much on bright clear days though). Our range set up is orientated East/West so with the Sun in the North the CPL works well, light coming in from approximately 90 degrees to the subject.

Do you also have a UV filter over the CPL? Just curious...

I'm a Canon guy, but if you shoot in RAW, all image modifiers should be turned off. You should be able to shoot RAW/JPG together to test to see if D-Lighting does automatically turn off for RAW.

Back