I've been asked again....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! There are some minor things that need to be worked out and I am in contact with Nat Kinsey about these items. I realize that these diminutive models are most often short in length and this presents a problem that is best remedied by the use of a tube coupler, extension tube and removable tape. Having the support/gauge points further apart tends to minimize any longitudinal error and I suspect that most of you micro-builders are also scratch builders as well..yes, yes?

Yes: most of Us Maxxer's are scratch builders. That said; I have no problem with the over all length of the mini-Guide being longer then most of the model bodies as long as we can use a longer mandrel and blank body tube to extend the body in the slot. With this "Adjustment" most Micro to Mini Models should be doable in this little jig:)

Yes: most of Us Maxxer's are scratch builders. That said; I have no problem with the over all length of the mini-Guide being longer then most of the model bodies as long as we can use a longer mandrel and blank body tube to extend the body in the slot. With this "Adjustment" most Micro to Mini Models should be doable in this little jig:)

I am in the process of having a few end panels fabricated by Upscale CNC and will build one for myself and put it through the paces. I have placed an order with Fliskits for BT-2 and BT-2.5 tubes and a nose cone for the BT-2.5 tube, and will give building a mini-rocket a try. Right now, it's too hot to do anything in my shop and too humid in the morning as well. It would be nice if I could locate a precision metal milling contractor who could fabricate the rails at a fair price, but I have my doubts...especially about the "fair price" business! So for now, I'll be making the alignment rails from off the shelf aluminum extrusions.

My goal is to produce a Mini-Guillotine that will work for the smaller conventional size rockets in the BT-5 to BT-50 range as well as the Mini-Max rockets. As for pricing, I'm not there yet but will let you all know on my website once I know what this entails.

Last edited:
So, what are the recommended body tube sizes for this model of the Gullotine ?https://www.macklinmissileworks.com/shop/original-size-

As it says in the text...BT-5 to BT-80. If you will go to our Home Page and scroll down, you will see that these are being offered at a special clearance price with the proviso that you become a member of Bernard Herman's forum on or before July 31, 2016 and attest to that fact by posting a new post on Bernie's forum. You may contact Mr. Herman here: https://www.starportsagitta.net/contact/ If you sign up there, you qualify for this special, limited time offer. After that, my price returns to the original price of $90 plus shipping.

As it says in the text...BT-5 to BT-80. If you will go to our Home Page and scroll down, you will see that these are being offered at a special clearance price with the proviso that you become a member of Bernard Herman's forum on or before July 31, 2016 and attest to that fact by posting a new post on Bernie's forum. You may contact Mr. Herman here: https://www.starportsagitta.net/contact/ If you sign up there, you qualify for this special, limited time offer. After that, my price returns to the original price of $90 plus shipping.
Oh. So the Mini will only be for BTs smaller than a BT-5?

It's still a prototype, but it's looking like bt2-bt56 for the current test in this thread.

That is correct. The actual size of the variable square opening will range from 0.221 to 1.414 inches, or in practical terms, BT2.5 to BT56. It will accept fins ranging from 0.000 to 0.414 inches, or in practical terms, from 0.005 to 0.375 inches. Simply stated, it will accommodate all MicroMax components and the smaller sizes of standard (Estes) components.

Thinks of this as you would think of any tool: the tool must be sized to accommodate the work piece. https://www.primermagazine.com/2012/learn/screwdriver

Completion of a working unit may be delayed a bit because of the Triple H Factor: Heat, Humidity & Health!

I finally got healed up, caught up and fed up enough to pursue this project and here are pictures of my final prototype. The body tube shown is T2.5 (0.281" OD) from Fliskits. The fin material is 1/32" aircraft birch plywood cut to a clipped delta shape. Root and half span are 0.625" and the tip is 0.281". The alignment rails are fabricated from 1/8 x 1/2" aluminum flats attached to 1/16 x 1/2 x 3/4" aluminum angles with 4-40 flat head screws and nuts.

Price as shown would be $100 plus shipping. If you fabricate your own rails the price would be $70 plus shipping. Whether I go into production of these will be largely determined on the input I receive here. Thanks for your interest and I welcome your comments.

IMG_1393.jpgIMG_1394.jpgIMG_1395.jpgIMG_1396.jpgIMG_1397.jpg

It's been too wet to fly or paint anything so I returned to this project. I just finished my first ever build of a MicroMax rocket using my down scaled Guillotine Fin Alignment jig. The tubing used in my build is T2+ (0.281" OD) and the fins were cut from 1/32" aircraft plywood into the classic "clipped delta" shape, with a root and half span of 9/16" and a tip of 9/32". After fin placement I cut the rocket tube to 3 1/2" leaving about 11 1/4" for future projects (or 1/4" launch lugs). Enjoy.

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

HA! I knew you could do it, you old codger! Makes me want to build really, really small and then request the away pad! This would be the RSO::eyepop:

Last edited:
Well Dave, I figured I'd better do this before the eyes are completely gone! And after reviewing my pictures I wish I'd used the entire tube and called it the Mini Mean Machine.

Speaking of Old Codgers, how are you doing?

Well Dave, I figured I'd better do this before the eyes are completely gone! And after reviewing my pictures I wish I'd used the entire tube and called it the Mini Mean Machine.

Speaking of Old Codgers, how are you doing?

To be honest, Ted, the Viking Princess remarked about how my codgerliness was showing more and more. She threatened to have it surgically removed. To her relief (and mine!), it was just an old pair of cranky pants I'd been wearing. Changed into my lucky pants and managed to catch the biggest bluegill of my life two days ago. 2.73 # and longer than a 3x 'd' cell mag-lite. Destined for fish tacos!

Last edited:
To be honest, Ted, the Viking Princess remarked about how my codgerliness was showing more and more. She threatened to have it surgically removed. To her relief (and mine!), it was just an old pair of cranky pants I'd been wearing. Changed into my lucky pants and managed to catch the biggest bluegill of my life two days ago. 2.73 # and longer than a 3x 'd' cell mag-lite. Destined for fish tacos!

Two pounds and twelve ounces? That's not a bluegill, that's a bass! Congratulations!

While I've been busy fixing all manner of neglected things around Rancho Macklin, I did manage to build an Estes Alpha using my new mini-Guillotine. It worked very well on this size rocket primarily because the fin alignment rails were simply cantilevered aluminum flats and thus had no horizontal leg limiting visual or actual access. The first pic shows a size comparison.

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

Yes, or $70 if you can fabricate you own alignment rails. I made only two units of this size, one of which I'm keeping for myself. Please email me at www.macklinmissileworks.com if you wish to discuss this further. Thanks for your interest.

Back