Should the watering hole be eliminated?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should The Watering Hole be eliminated?

• No, I love hearing about the most offensive things possibly on a rocketry forum

• Of course, Kill it now

• print the files out and burn them

• There is no need for this trash, nuke it all please

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yesterday my son came up from Garland and took me for a ride in what is now his boat out on Lake Texoma. It was pure joy for us both!Lake Texoma 07-10-2016.jpgCharlie at Texoma.jpg

But really, what this place comes down to, for me, is giving/getting answers to questions like, "I'm about to launch a cardboard rocket on an M3700 built with 5-minute epoxy to abour Mach 3 -- any see any problems?" As long as that doesn't get taken away, I'm here to stay.

Do it. I mean theoretically, the motor should work fine.
😉

... agreed, Bat-mite.
I'm unlikely to see you at LDRS anytime soon, money and newborn will keep me in the Midwest for awhile. If I ever do get out, I'll be sure to look you up.

The Watering Hole is actually the first place I go at TRF. I think a lot would be lost if we didn't have it, from the SpaceX threads to the travel recommendations. One of the political websites I read has regular pictures where people post pictures of their pets and animals around them. The website owner always seemed to shake his head about why people wanted to do that but eventually came around that it's a way to build community. I am probably on the far left of the people who post here (heck, I'm pretty far left in a very liberal city). Like CZTeacherMan said, it's probably healthy for me to get out of my bubble and see other people. It might even be healthy for other people to see my end of the Overton Window, too. There's some threads that I go to and comment in, some I just don't bother with, and some locked ones that I go to just to see the train wreck. Most of the ones I don't want to be in are pretty obvious from the thread title. I think I got about a page into Guns and Rockets before I decided to skip elsewhere, and What Did You Do Today was always too daunting (300+ pages?!) to get into. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Self Defense thread went.

I do go to other sub-forums, but often post in TWH because it tends to get more responses.

Plus, if we eliminate TWH, where would I post a thread about Texit? I may be an instigator, but I haven't gotten a hand slap from the mods yet. :)

If I could get through the call screeners on the Rush Limbaugh Show on "Open Line Friday", would it bother anyone if I brought up what fun model rocketry is? (Frankly, I'd rather go back to Lake Texoma.)

I have no idea how the initial question even came up, but for me the answer is a simple no, next issue please.

I thought we were supposed to know how to deal with forum content we did not like or agree with?

I cant vote I'm a independent. Nothing wrong with it, why change it. If it's not broke don't fix it. But on the other hand there are folks in here that can't be fixed.

First of all , the poll might be just a slight bit biased since all the answers have a negative slant toward this forum.

Second, the thread on circumcision has over fifty responses, some by those who want to get rid of this forum. Not sure I understand that but it seems to say that people will express themselves on about any subject if given the opportunity and so probably should be able to do so other than on the subjects expressly forbidden and agreed to when joining TRF.

Third, if the Watering Hole was pulled the cry of censorship would likely be heard far and wide by half of the members here because that's just the way we are.

And last, Bat-mite's post below in this thread expresses my thoughts on the subject very well. And this is from a left wing, liberal, tree hugging hippy of the 60's. Oh, and a veteran. Well said John.

An OT forum is a catch-all for stuff that doesn't fit comfortably into one of the the other forums. For instance, someone wants to know what computer to buy, or if they can use AutoCAD to simulate rocket parts, or what is the best kind of grass to plant on your farm if you want to use sparky motors, etc. You can't have a sub-forum for every possible issue.

The rules already eliminate politics and religion, and maybe the mods need to start deleting threads immediately upon instantiation, rather than wait to see if a brawl develops.

The rules could be changed so that the WH forum has to be in some way rocketry-related, but then that could come down to a mod's opinion as to what constitutes rocketry-related. For instance, discussion of some new electronic device with no known rocketry application might eventually lead to the uncovering of some new rocketry application.

I still think the best bet is to avoid whatever posts and people that you find offensive. Yes, maybe they could end up giving you some rocketry advice that you would otherwise miss, but that seems a small price to pay.

Me, I'm a Bible-believing, conservative creationist; but that's not what I expect everyone to be. It's a free country, and a mostly-free world. I don't get offended when someone posts liberal, atheistic, materialistic philosophy. I just move on. I know that the guy at a rocket launch who does not share my world view would very kindly give me chute-packing advice, just like the one who does share my world view.

Post, read, learn, accept, ignore if necessary, and move on.

It should stay. This is what brings us together and reminds all of us that we are human. Besides there is a good mix of r9cket related off topic stuff and personal, world stuff....it's nice to be a community...take this away and there won't be a community.

I believe the poll to be accurate and well formed. I see no bias.

Oh, let's see here...

• No, I love hearing about the most offensive things possibly on a rocketry forum -> A bit of negative connotation (Of course I want trash here).
  • Of course, Kill it now - Get rid of it
  • print the files out and burn them - Get rid of it
  • There is no need for this trash, nuke it all please - Get rid of it

Methinks your data methods are indeed a bit skewed.

It is possible to have a non-rocketry discussion without it being a bad thing. I just use the time honored tradition of if it offends, irritates, or just does not interest me, I don't read it.

Last edited:
Thanks to the watering hole, I can now see who's "moral compass" is way out of wack with mine and I can see for myself who I would glady talk to at a launch and who I would not give the time of day.

Thanks to the watering hole, I can now see who's "moral compass" is way out of wack with mine and I can see for myself who I would glady talk to at a launch and who I would not give the time of day.

Another way to see who you'd like to meet in person is by looking at who sends you obscene PMs.

If we ignore the specific text of the questions, there are basically three answers in favour of dumping The Watering Hole and one against. At the time I'm writing this, there have been 78 voters, and a total of 83 votes cast, which implies that you can vote for more than one answer, and some people did. Either they voted simultaneously for and against dumping The Watering Hole or they voted for two or three of the dump options. If this is a clumsy attempt at vote rigging then it didn't work because the vast majority of votes are in favour of keeping The Watering Hole.

Also, take another look at post #30 of this thread.

It seems that the people have spoken and so has the Admin. ;)

I think Al and Dave should start a flame war. :marshmallow:

stock-photo-20301778-hand-grenade.jpg

Actually I really don't care much beyond the malignant glee I derive from annoying Dave...

But I really don't think Dave would allow me to get his goat that easily.

Another way to see who you'd like to meet in person is by looking at who sends you obscene PMs.

I keep waiting and nobody ever sends me any..

Last edited:
The WH has provided me with vast knowledge that I use to impress my wife with. Thank you, WH, for your wonder information and facts that gives me credit as an intelligent old fart. So, lets keep it up and running. :wink:

• No, I love hearing about the most offensive things possibly on a rocketry forum -> A bit of negative connotation (Of course I want trash here).
  • Of course, Kill it now - Get rid of it
  • print the files out and burn them - Get rid of it
  • There is no need for this trash, nuke it all please - Get rid of it

technically speaking printing out all the files and burning them would not remove the forum, so one could argue it is a form of keeping the watering hole.

The first was not mean to be negative, but an attempt to understand what reason anyone could possibly come here, which of course must be that they love being offended. If this is inaccurate perhaps we should start a new poll, and throw these results out.

But to be fair we should have a poll and see if people want to do that.

I would suggest the following

• I can't live without it
  • Of Course
  • Yes
  • No
  • Let's ask George
  • Why the heck would we want to?
  • Burn the Pagan Non Rocketry Posters
  • All of the Above
  • None of the Above

The best way I've seen OT sub-forums handled on other boards over the past 15 years or so is:

1. Yes, have one.
2. Put it at the bottom of the "general" section, not at the top. In the case of TRF, it could easily be moved to the top or bottom of "Miscellaneous" as well.
3. Only make it visible to logged in users with accounts in good standing, and don't allow search engines to index it.

People always find a place and a reason to act like children on the internet, regardless of age, education, or personal belief system, so you might as well give them a corner to play in.

I believe the poll to be accurate and well formed. I see no bias.

The wording in the poll is like a BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL watching FOX News and their slogan: Fair, Accurate and Balanced!, or a NEOCON watching the Ted Turner "Drive By Media" and getting a good belly laugh.

I feel sorry for both the thin skinned, PC obsessive left wingers, and the virgin eared, ultra conservative fundamentalists. They just need to hang out at their respective watering holes during the week and launch their rockets together in perfect harmony at the club on the weekends.

Latest posts

Back