Should the watering hole be eliminated?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should The Watering Hole be eliminated?

• No, I love hearing about the most offensive things possibly on a rocketry forum

• Of course, Kill it now

• print the files out and burn them

• There is no need for this trash, nuke it all please

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ok Dave, tell us about your favorite sexual positions.

Ummm..., TMI...

While I am in the "yes" camp I do agree there are some good threads that have come out of the watering hole. I concur with the statement by M Pitfield above "Because you are in the yes camp you're essentially an idiot mindless zombie meandering your way through life. But if you are in the no camp then you are not only intellectually superior you are also better equipped to make it through life
29.gif
" complete with some more eye rolls. I came to TRF for rocketry not the other crap based on religion, politics, LGBTQ+++++, personal fetishes, or opinions on personal descisions not related to rocketry.

but seriously.......

No, I don't think it should be eliminated. Furthermore, I think that it's perfectly ok to have a certain amount of non rocketry talk and banter. It does provide more sense of community, and honestly some of the stuff is interesting and fun. There are a lot of discussions that are off topic, or at least partially so, that really are no problem. I actually enjoy hearing some about folk's other hobbies, travel stories, cool birds and stuff they've seen, interesting book/movie/music recommendations, etc., life milestones like graduations and marriages, etc.

The problem is that there are some topics that are just absolutely guaranteed to cause trouble. And to make it worse, there is a very regular crowd around here that goes out of their way to post just those sorts of things. Some of them ONLY post those topics. And some of them have outright admitted that they either do it on purpose to get a rise out of members, or that they at least really enjoy doing so. In short, they are out to stir up trouble, and they do it on purpose. They actually take pride in being a#*holes, and they feel justified in doing so. It sucks.

Yes, I know that we can all choose to just ignore those posts. But honestly, it really stinks that we have members here who purposely create or add to a toxic atmosphere.

The thing is that those topics ARE expressly "off limits" and the rules are very clear about it. But what does that mean to "those people"?....why of course it's just another example about how oppressed they are, and how unfair they are being treated. Bullsh*t. I say eliminate those folks who blatantly break the rules over and over and over again. Especially the ones that ONLY do this, and really never post anything at all that is on topic, or of any substance to the rocket community.

If you want to occasionally post a notice about your daughter's wedding, or tell folks about a cool book/movie you just read/watched, or have a question on how to spice up your chili recipe for the 4th of July party, or even ask a question about home security......fine. Not a problem. But if you once AGAIN decide to start a thread that you absolutely KNOW is going to stir up trouble, and that you absolutely KNOW is off limits (and don't pretend that you don't know), especially if you never post anything about rockets, YOU should be "eliminated".

There is another "rocketry forum" where all of that crap is perfectly acceptable, even encouraged, and you will have lots of responses telling you how cool (and oppressed) your are. Go there.

s6

For those who haven't picked up....this thread is more satire on the current state of the watering hole than a serious effort to remove it.

I do think it's pretty useless, I do thing it should be moved out of top placement, and I do enjoy posting photos of BBQ in the cooking thread.

A place for useless threads is a good thing, sure. But its way out of control here and people seem unable to abide by simple rules.

Off topic is fine....it's a community thing. I get it. But the debate/offensive/stupidity is just really over the top. If it's something that you just can't not talk about.... seek out a better place to post it.

It's been there since the beginning and so has this discussion. I'd leave it if it were up to me. Any user who doesn't want to wallow in the muck is welcome not to read those threads. Ultimately, it should be up to the owner/admins/mods who have to spend their time on it.

And this^

I just try my best to stay out of things that I'm not into, because America is about FREEDOM, and RESPECTING OTHERS RIGHTS to be into those things.
I have lots of opinions, but they would ban me permanently if I ever expressed most of them here.
I do like being here, so I've learned to just be "Knowable enough". I'm not a bad person, and in real life go out of my way to be kind and respectful to everyone, but talking on the internet gives everybody a soapbox to stand on, and it is easy to be arrogant, boastful or inadvertently hurtful to folks.
I'm getting better at holding my tongue nowadays, but I'de still like to attract like minded individuals to my posts, and the watering hole is great for that.
I just barely learned about using Baking Soda with CA on Youtube, and thought it might have rocketry applications, so I posted in the Watering hole rather than Tech., since it gets more hits, and a search revealed no results.
Turns out I'm just late to the game, as a bunch of folks here have been using this trick forever, but never posted it in "Techniques", so I just saved a bunch of respirator wear and tear, materials and jig building by just popping it into the "Anything" section.

Thanks Watering Hole!
Now I don't have to do any kind of experiments, or waste time making a thread about something that ya'll have already been doing but just have not shared in the Techniques section.

but seriously.......

No, I don't think it should be eliminated. Furthermore, I think that it's perfectly ok to have a certain amount of non rocketry talk and banter. It does provide more sense of community, and honestly some of the stuff is interesting and fun. There are a lot of discussions that are off topic, or at least partially so, that really are no problem. I actually enjoy hearing some about folk's other hobbies, travel stories, cool birds and stuff they've seen, interesting book/movie/music recommendations, etc., life milestones like graduations and marriages, etc.

The problem is that there are some topics that are just absolutely guaranteed to cause trouble. And to make it worse, there is a very regular crowd around here that goes out of their way to post just those sorts of things. Some of them ONLY post those topics. And some of them have outright admitted that they either do it on purpose to get a rise out of members, or that they at least really enjoy doing so. In short, they are out to stir up trouble, and they do it on purpose. They actually take pride in being a#*holes, and they feel justified in doing so. It sucks.

Yes, I know that we can all choose to just ignore those posts. But honestly, it really stinks that we have members here who purposely create or add to a toxic atmosphere.

The thing is that those topics ARE expressly "off limits" and the rules are very clear about it. But what does that mean to "those people"?....why of course it's just another example about how oppressed they are, and how unfair they are being treated. Bullsh*t. I say eliminate those folks who blatantly break the rules over and over and over again. Especially the ones that ONLY do this, and really never post anything at all that is on topic, or of any substance to the rocket community.

If you want to occasionally post a notice about your daughter's wedding, or tell folks about a cool book/movie you just read/watched, or have a question on how to spice up your chili recipe for the 4th of July party, or even ask a question about home security......fine. Not a problem. But if you once AGAIN decide to start a thread that you absolutely KNOW is going to stir up trouble, and that you absolutely KNOW is off limits (and don't pretend that you don't know), especially if you never post anything about rockets, YOU should be "eliminated".

There is another "rocketry forum" where all of that crap is perfectly acceptable, even encouraged, and you will have lots of responses telling you how cool (and oppressed) your are. Go there.

s6

S6, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

My real point in all of this.

The problem is, most of these offensive postings are made to cause trouble/ spread mental diarrhea. If they go to a Cats website, of course everyone will agree cats are awesome...so they go out into the world to try and find any populated place and spew the lies that Cats are awesome to convince the unwashed dog owners of the world of their stance.

In short, they come here to fight and find people to fight. it's tiring.

...... and people seem unable to abide by simple rules.

Yes, but it's worse than that. It's not that they are "unable to abide by rules", it's that they specifically go out of their way to do so. Over and over.
And then, they cry and moan about how put down they are, and how unfair it all is to them.

Again I'll say it......eliminate these people, not the Watering Hole itself.

s6

Personally, I view this area as TRF's garbage can. :p I would hope that by having this garbage can people will be less likely to pollute the rest of the forum. Now of course some people are just inconsiderate and will throw their trash anywhere, but it does seem to work for others. Myself, I'm a pack-in, pack-out person and try to take my trash elsewhere. But to each their own. :) It used to be when I was feeling good about the world and was looking for reasons why humanity should be wiped off the planet I'd go read the comments on Slashdot posts. :eyeroll: Sometimes I think this area is almost an equivalent, so I generally try to stay away. ;)

Think of a rocketry forum as a community of people who have a common interest, namely rockets. At a rocket launch everybody doesn't talk about rockets ALL the time do they? The Watering Hole gives the forum a little spice. Not that I don['t enjoy an exciting thread on shear pins every once in a while or a thread on the circumference of a rocket.....

For those who haven't picked up....this thread is more satire on the current state of the watering hole than a serious effort to remove it.

I do think it's pretty useless, I do thing it should be moved out of top placement, and I do enjoy posting photos of BBQ in the cooking thread.

A place for useless threads is a good thing, sure. But its way out of control here and people seem unable to abide by simple rules.

Off topic is fine....it's a community thing. I get it. But the debate/offensive/stupidity is just really over the top. If it's something that you just can't not talk about.... seek out a better place to post it.

Bartender! Cut this man OFF!

The "yes" camp are the same people who need government and laws to guide and direct them safely through their lives. The "no" camp have the sensibilities, intellect and autonomy to make their own logical, reasonable decisions guiding themselves safely through their own lives.

I like this^:)

Good answer.

No change. Where else do I go to identify a jump drive, get insight on old but good laptops, assimilate rocket workshop ideas, gather BBQ/grill recipes, best repair ceramics, bird watching, etc. I don't want to join a dozen forums to pick this info up. Just keep the Watering Hole and be quicker to shut down the political and sexual off-putting B.S.

Last edited:
David, if you don't like the Watering Hole, don't open it. Just go right past and you'll have nothing to fuss about.

So I can have a sexual position thread and anyone offended can skip it?

I agree.
Some of the topics in TWH lately seem like they are intentionally inflammatory or meant to incite derision.

My real point in all of this.

The problem is, most of these offensive postings are made to cause trouble/ spread mental diarrhea. If they go to a Cats website, of course everyone will agree cats are awesome...so they go out into the world to try and find any populated place and spew the lies that Cats are awesome to convince the unwashed dog owners of the world of their stance.

In short, they come here to fight and find people to fight. it's tiring.

I agree but you have to remember, rocketry isn't the hobby. Complaining about things is the hobby, rocketry is just the thing we do to give us a common frame of reference

So I can have a sexual position thread and anyone offended can skip it?

The concept of an OT forum is the rocket people might have good knowledge of other topics besides rocketry, but there may be some topics you may want to get advice on elsewhere.....

The concept of an OT forum is the rocket people might have good knowledge of other topics besides rocketry, but there may be some topics you may want to get advice on elsewhere.....

But I feel that old fat men may be a good source of information on this topic.... I want to gain insight from other people I feel are close to me in rocketry, so I know I value their opinion.

But I feel that old fat men may be a good source of information on this topic.... I want to gain insight from other people I feel are close to me in rocketry, so I know I value their opinion.

I weigh the same now as when I graduated from High School. 40 years after HS few can say THAT ;)

Stealth 6 put it very well. If the political and religious topics could be tightly controlled / banned, then I see no reason to eliminate it. I have been a member of several forums that have no off-topic threads allowed, and it works well, but I still like threads such as " List your other Hobbies". This past year I have quit 15 or so forums, so I kinda enjoy some other things to talk about, or sharing knowledge on different subjects.

I am pretty sure that the majority people who want to eliminate the watering hole are from one side of isle!

We all have the right to IGNORE any user on the forum. The watering hole should stay. If it dries up, and I see TRF drying up too with it.

TRC is a forum without an Off Topic section, and it get what 2? 3? posts a day on a busy day? Really... here's a soundbyte.

[video=youtube;Yd0fBXwDBmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0fBXwDBmo[/video]

I'm saying that, and I'm a moderator over there.

Every forum has an off-topic of some sort. I've seen much, MUCH worse on said other forums and you know what, at the end of the day people still went back on-topic.

Things I tend to ignore in forums:
#1 subjects I'm not much interested in.
#2 people WHO ACT LIKE MODERATORS:eyeroll:

When I break out the Ignore button:
#1 Trolls. When people are having a tizzy-fit about something else and post for the sole purpose of starting trouble/fanning flames. Not worth my time. Ever. Bye troll.

If there was an option in the voting, I would have chose:
If there's something you don't like, contact or complain to mods/admin and let them do their job.

Note: if you want a poll in your favor, don't Ross Perot / Ralph Nader yourself by giving your side 3x as many choices.

Now, I'm going back to rocketry-related threads. If they want to move the position of the Watering Hole to the bottom, fine. I think I can still find it. :wink:

When I break out the Ignore button:
#1 Trolls. When people are having a tizzy-fit about something else and post for the sole purpose of starting trouble/fanning flames. Not worth my time. Ever. Bye troll.

How did you even see this thread then? ;)

Back