Cordless phone battery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldschool77

Reaction score
I found my phone not quite in its base and dead. Next I used a pencil eraser to polish the contacts, reset it and the charge light came on. Now almost 48 hrs later, no calls. Curious I picked it up and the display went blank. Pulled the battery(3 cell 600mah NiCd), poked multi-meter leads thru the plastic wrap and found a dead cell. I found a replacement both in NiCd(700 mah) & NI-Mh(800mah) same part# and pricing. Now I know Ni-Cads have an approx. 5 yr. life span. Would a Ni-Mh be a better replacement if compatible? Yep I read the Q&A on the Ni-Mh and the reply was that it would be compatible but I want a knowledgeable opinion.

Generally you can drop in a NiMH for a Ni-Cad, except in high drain applications. For a low-drain application with a low charging rate (like a cordless phone), go for it.

Thanks. When it comes to electronics and something that is ''Different'' yet a replacement, I'm a little leery. I don't totally trust an unknown Mfgr's Q/A

I ended up replacing my cordless phone with a set that uses standard AAA size rechargeable batteries. When the original NiMH batteries stopped holding a charge, just a quick trip to Home Depot to pick up some rechargeable energizer batteries and I was back in business.

Chris

I wouldn't mix chemistries/capacities in the same pack.....if you go NiMH, replace the whole 3-cell pack, not just the one cell.

My experience with NiMH in electric flight applications (I know, MUCH more demanding than a cordless phone) was that they didn't hold up nearly as well as a good NiCd and had a much higher self-discharge rate. That said, in AA sizes I'm a real fan of Sanyo Eneloop cells and Sony CycleEnergy NiMH cells in various applications.

Back