How to open OPEN ROCKET in Win 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a bunch! Got me up and running on this pc.
Mike

Okay, for what it is worth, I work in IT and have found a solution that works for "ME"

Your mileage may vary and please understand that I make NO promises that this will work for anyone else as well.

What worked for me was:

Download a file called "jarfix.exe" from https://johann.loefflmann.net/en/software/jarfix/index.html#Download (as ALWAYS scan the file you download with your favorite AV scanner before running) There are details about the file at this site if you are interested in reading them as well.
Double click/run the file AS AN ADMINISTRATOR
Double click on your "OpenRocket" icon, "Ta Da" (for me anyway)

The above pre-supposes that you have already verified that you have the newest version of JAVA installed as well.

Hope this helps others resolve this issue as well! For those that have posted other answers, Thanks for your help also!

Pretty pictures are worthless unless the sim accurately predicts the flight. Function over form.

Well said .

I do use RS to confirm CP ..but get a much better altitude prediction with ThrustCurve.

Wayco showed me how to estimate , make the flight and then adjust CD on ThrustCurve so that the data matches the flight ...then resim the Big motor I wanted to fly .

Up to then had not 'saved' any rockets into TC ..had only thrown in weight and diameter . With the Punisher nothing has matched up ..it just blows doors

Kenny

Punisher is one of those things I do not have, but would like to. I would also like to get an accurate rly for it. I want to see why it seems to be better performer

Well said .

I do use RS to confirm CP ..but get a much better altitude prediction with ThrustCurve.

Wayco showed me how to estimate , make the flight and then adjust CD on ThrustCurve so that the data matches the flight ...then resim the Big motor I wanted to fly

Your method may work for you, but it is mathematically impossible for Thurstcurve to be a better predictor than RS (or OR or RAII). Thrustcurve has the simplest simulator of all of them: 1D flight, no wind, no angle, no weather, constant Cd, first order integration, etc. It is great for quick filtering and comparing many motor choices. As the disclaimers say, you need a better package for more precise simulation analysis. I suspect that the ease of use, and less chance for user error, is why TC gives reasonably good results for most people.

Adjusting CD works only if everything else performs nominally. If you fly on a cold day, with high barometric pressure, 15 MPH wind, 5 deg rod angle, and a motor that horribly underperforms from its thrust profile, TC (which doesn't comprehend any of that variation) will give you back a meaningless adjusted Cd that satisfies that flight only.

Your method may work for you, but it is mathematically impossible for Thurstcurve to be a better predictor than RS (or OR or RAII). Thrustcurve has the simplest simulator of all of them: 1D flight, no wind, no angle, no weather, constant Cd, first order integration, etc. It is great for quick filtering and comparing many motor choices. As the disclaimers say, you need a better package for more precise simulation analysis. I suspect that the ease of use, and less chance for user error, is why TC gives reasonably good results for most people.

Adjusting CD works only if everything else performs nominally. If you fly on a cold day, with high barometric pressure, 15 MPH wind, 5 deg rod angle, and a motor that horribly underperforms from its thrust profile, TC (which doesn't comprehend any of that variation) will give you back a meaningless adjusted Cd that satisfies that flight only.

Bingo. ThrustCurve app is a useful tool, but not needs to be used in the proper context.

Thanks a bunch! Got me up and running on this pc.
Mike

I glad it helped you! I had the same problem till I found what worked for "me" and wanted to share it in case it might help anyone else as well.

May your rockets fly straight and true!

Okay, for what it is worth, I work in IT and have found a solution that works for "ME"

Your mileage may vary and please understand that I make NO promises that this will work for anyone else as well.

What worked for me was:

Download a file called "jarfix.exe" from https://johann.loefflmann.net/en/software/jarfix/index.html#Download (as ALWAYS scan the file you download with your favorite AV scanner before running) There are details about the file at this site if you are interested in reading them as well.
Double click/run the file AS AN ADMINISTRATOR
Double click on your "OpenRocket" icon, "Ta Da" (for me anyway)

The above pre-supposes that you have already verified that you have the newest version of JAVA installed as well.

Hope this helps others resolve this issue as well! For those that have posted other answers, Thanks for your help also!
Thanks, after trying and installing JAVA on Windows 10 and Open Rocket still did not open (Chrome Browser)....this did the trick. Excite does not support JAVA and Chrome Browser also needed some additional work. I then saw this about Jarfix and voila..it work

Thanks, after trying and installing JAVA on Windows 10 and Open Rocket still did not open (Chrome Browser)....this did the trick. Excite does not support JAVA and Chrome Browser also needed some additional work. I then saw this about Jarfix and voila..it work
Go to the upper level of this forum and open the first sticky thread and there’s an executable that should be the better option:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/forums/rocketry-electronics-and-software.36/

Back