How to open OPEN ROCKET in Win 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2654

Reaction score
Can someone please guide me through uplaodeing open rocket with windows 10. BTW New laptop with windows 10 and I'm totally clueless.

If you downloaded it, you should find OpenRocket-15.03 in your Downloads folder. Double-click to open, assuming you have Java installed. If you don't have Java, go here and download it.

Been there did that aaaaaaaannnnnnddddd still don't work. ThANKS ANY WAY bAT. I frickin HATE computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only have OR in my Win 10 machine at my GF's. Not there this weekend, or else I'd check. But I did have OR installed before I upgraded to Win 10 (much happier now. I hated 8.1). I also don't remember if I've used OR since the switch. So, something to do on Monday night! I do remember OR is a challenge to find and get running the first time. Then I made an icon on the desktop and it's been fine ever since. Good luck.

Adrian

See if this will help:
go to settings, System, default apps, choose default app by file type....see if you can set .jar file....

Don't know if this will help. On my desk top that was originally Widows 8, now Windows 10 I down loaded the Jar file and stuck it in a folder on my desk top marked Rocket Apps along with my Rocksim 9 Icon. It has worked for me every time I wanted it to. My desktop is fairly new, less than two years old.

I have been running it for a while now Bill, it seems that all of the problems people are having with OR/Win10 are Java related so I would just suggest making sure you have the current version and try to download OR again. Wish I could be of more help but that's all I got. Good luck

I have been running it for a while now Bill, it seems that all of the problems people are having with OR/Win10 are Java related so I would just suggest making sure you have the current version and try to download OR again. Wish I could be of more help but that's all I got. Good luck

Yes. Win 10 requires Java 8 update, um, something beyond 50. Make sure you are up to date. Your Java version from Win 8.1 may be too old.

Also, right-click the OR icon and look at properties. Is it pointing to the latest version of Java that you have installed? Those are the two things I'd check.

Tried for the last 2 hrs. and nothing. Windows 10 comes with this Micrsoft Edge browser. Says OR is not compatible with Edge so they say to download Firefox, which I did, and it didn't help. I still cant open it. Guess I'll just have to do without a sim program. Frickin windows needs to quit changing things or Openrocket needs to get with these changes. Its getting ridicules having to download this or that or go into settings and do this or that. One or two mouse clicks.....that's all I want.....but noooooo.
Done ranting now, thanks for everyones "help" or at lease trying.

Tried for the last 2 hrs. and nothing. Windows 10 comes with this Micrsoft Edge browser. Says OR is not compatible with Edge so they say to download Firefox, which I did, and it didn't help. I still cant open it. Guess I'll just have to do without a sim program. Frickin windows needs to quit changing things or Openrocket needs to get with these changes. Its getting ridicules having to download this or that or go into settings and do this or that. One or two mouse clicks.....that's all I want.....but noooooo.
Done ranting now, thanks for everyones "help" or at lease trying.

That's just plain bizarre. First off, OR doesn't open in a browser. Your computer must be set to open .jar files with a browser. That needs to change so that they are opened with JRE (Java Runtime Environment).

Second, I use OR in Win10, and the only thing I had to change when I upgraded from Win8.1 was to download a newer Java version.

Have you tried associating .jar files with JRE as the default program?

it sounds like your computer does not have java installed. afaik there are no browsers that can open a .jar file, so you need the latest version of java Installed (not just down loaded). once installed windows should give the option to open 'openrocket' with java,(should only have to do that last bit once).
Rex

In Windows 10, the Edge browser does not support plug-ins and therefore will not run Java. Switch to a different browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer 11) to run the Java plug-in. Select the More Actions option located at the top right of the Edge browser and click on Open with Internet Explorer. More info

This is the message I get when I tried to verify if I had Java. Like Bat said, OR doesn't open in a browser so installing Firefox or Explorer 11 is useless. There has to be an easy-er way around this bullshit.

yes quite, when you get the msg mouse over to the more options (the three dots in a row) and select open with internet explorer. this will open the page with 'ie11' from which you can now verify that java installed correctly. I have to do this every time there is a java update, bit of a pain but could be worse, hopefully this will be corrected in August with the latest windows upgrade.
Rex
edit
ie11 is already installed on windows 10 machines.

Last edited:
Just going around in circles. I keep going back and forth from Open to Save back to open, back to save. There is NO "Open with" just open. Going to the 3 dots didn't work either. I'm done for today or I'm going to turn this fricken laptop into a frisby!!!

OK.

If Java is installed correctly, then you should only need to double-click the OR file (which should be a .jar file) and it'll open. Anything else suggests that Java is not installed, or else not installed correctly.

Can you open your control panel and go see if Java is there? On my Windows 7 machine, there's a "Java (32-bit)" entry, and opening that gives me a tabbed panel with various info about the installed Java. Do you have that?

I think I have identified your confusion. You can have a Java plugin installed in your browsers, but that is not what you want. You need the full Java Runtime Environment for Windows installed as an application. To get that, go here: https://java.com/en/download/

Download and install it on your computer. If it asks you if you want it to uninstall old Java versions, say Yes.

Try finding your OpenRocket-15.03.jar with a file browser and double click on it. Works for me.

I think I have identified your confusion. You can have a Java plugin installed in your browsers, but that is not what you want. You need the full Java Runtime Environment for Windows installed as an application. To get that, go here: https://java.com/en/download/

Download and install it on your computer. If it asks you if you want it to uninstall old Java versions, say Yes.

Yeah, that sounds like it. I've only ever installed the full runtime environment and forgot there was even an option just for the browser plug-in.

Okay, for what it is worth, I work in IT and have found a solution that works for "ME"

Your mileage may vary and please understand that I make NO promises that this will work for anyone else as well.

What worked for me was:

Download a file called "jarfix.exe" from https://johann.loefflmann.net/en/software/jarfix/index.html#Download (as ALWAYS scan the file you download with your favorite AV scanner before running) There are details about the file at this site if you are interested in reading them as well.
Double click/run the file AS AN ADMINISTRATOR
Double click on your "OpenRocket" icon, "Ta Da" (for me anyway)

The above pre-supposes that you have already verified that you have the newest version of JAVA installed as well.

Hope this helps others resolve this issue as well! For those that have posted other answers, Thanks for your help also!

Last edited:
OK I dont know how this happened but when I went to use my laptop this morning I found that Windows had made some changes to my computer without my permission.
Well now I have to use a password just to open it which I didn't before. Then I noticed that the open rocket file had changed from the big E symbol (Explorer) to the usual Java symbol so I click on it and I'll be damned, it worked! I now have open rocket ready to go! At first I was pissed that they changed things WITHOUT my permission, but now that I see OR is up and running, I guess it's OK. Windows still sucks. It's like the government...always shoving new rules down our throats without asking.
Anyway thanks everyone, it works now. Now if only this laptop would last more than a year before it crashes and I loose EVERYTHING like my last one that only lasted less than a year!! Nobody makes anything that LASTS anymore. SOB's just want you to buy more and more. Done ranting.:)

In Windows 10, the Edge browser does not support plug-ins and therefore will not run Java. Switch to a different browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer 11) to run the Java plug-in. Select the More Actions option located at the top right of the Edge browser and click on Open with Internet Explorer. More info

This is the message I get when I tried to verify if I had Java. Like Bat said, OR doesn't open in a browser so installing Firefox or Explorer 11 is useless. There has to be an easy-er way around this bullshit.

Bill, make IE your default browser and try it.

I am not a Java fan, not a Flash fan. I have seen too many problems with each. Probably why I still use Rocksim and Rasaero.

Glad you got it sorted out Bill, computer problems are a close second to dental problems.

Are you going to Airfest or High Frontier this year??? I am planning on making both.

Okay, for what it is worth, I work in IT and have found a solution that works for "ME"

Your mileage may vary and please understand that I make NO promises that this will work for anyone else as well.

What worked for me was:

Download a file called "jarfix.exe" from https://johann.loefflmann.net/en/software/jarfix/index.html#Download (as ALWAYS scan the file you download with your favorite AV scanner before running) There are details about the file at this site if you are interested in reading them as well.
Double click/run the file AS AN ADMINISTRATOR
Double click on your "OpenRocket" icon, "Ta Da" (for me anyway)

The above pre-supposes that you have already verified that you have the newest version of JAVA installed as well.

Hope this helps others resolve this issue as well! For those that have posted other answers, Thanks for your help also!

At last, I was just days away from my Rocksim demonstrator expiring and having to pay £90 for the real thing. Then I tried this fix and it worked. I now have OR back and working again.
Thanks very much for this suggestion, it worked for me also.

Have to say that with (limited) experience of Rocksim it is similar to OR with regard to the results and calculations. The main difference I found was in ease of use. OR is definitely easier, more intuitive, and user friendly. And of course, it hasn't cost me £90!
It would be great if the software experts could find a permanent fix for use with Windows 10.

Thanks again,

SO.

At last, I was just days away from my Rocksim demonstrator expiring and having to pay £90 for the real thing. Then I tried this fix and it worked. I now have OR back and working again.
Thanks very much for this suggestion, it worked for me also.

Have to say that with (limited) experience of Rocksim it is similar to OR with regard to the results and calculations. The main difference I found was in ease of use. OR is definitely easier, more intuitive, and user friendly. And of course, it hasn't cost me £90!
It would be great if the software experts could find a permanent fix for use with Windows 10.

Thanks again,

SO.

You should phrase it the OR is similar to Rocksim as Rocksim has been around a lot longer. To the point that one might argue that the interface was largely lifted from Rocksim.

You are VERY Welcome! I am glad that it worked for you also! I was getting really frustrated about OR not working in Win 10 too.

Bill, make IE your default browser and try it.

I am not a Java fan, not a Flash fan. I have seen too many problems with each. Probably why I still use Rocksim and Rasaero.

Rocksim for slow and Rasaero for fast. I know those use OR with success but lordy, I found it a heck of a lot harder to run than Rocksim. Granted, I haven't tried in years but had a time just trying to load a motor. I did back to back runs of a flown, simmed rocket meaning I simmed it on Rocksim, flew it and it was pretty close on altitude prediction and then converted the Rocksim file to OR. OR wasn't even near the RS prediction or the flown flight so I gave up. It was several years ago so I have to concede that the situation may have improved in the intervening years. If one doesn't want to spend the money, OR is the only choice for free semi-easy sim software. If one starts from scratch, it's more of an incentive to learn. Kurt

Rocksim for slow and Rasaero for fast. I know those use OR with success but lordy, I found it a heck of a lot harder to run than Rocksim. Granted, I haven't tried in years but had a time just trying to load a motor. I did back to back runs of a flown, simmed rocket meaning I simmed it on Rocksim, flew it and it was pretty close on altitude prediction and then converted the Rocksim file to OR. OR wasn't even near the RS prediction or the flown flight so I gave up. It was several years ago so I have to concede that the situation may have improved in the intervening years. If one doesn't want to spend the money, OR is the only choice for free semi-easy sim software. If one starts from scratch, it's more of an incentive to learn. Kurt

+1. I couldn't ever really get comfortable with OR results. Yeah you can draw nicer pictures with it, but that's like last on my feature list for simulation software.

Depends on how fast you mean? I think that from experience Rocksim is pretty good to Mach 1.5 or so.

The reality is that Rocksim and OR are based around Barrowman. By going over Mach you are violating some of the assumptions of Barrowman. Neither is going to be 100%.

As I have said before, I am not a Java fan. I think OR "borrows" to much of the Rocksim interface. That is the nice way of saying it. I do not think it is better than Rocksim- only cheaper.

What I really wish is that I could buy Rocksim Pro for a couple hundred. Had a demo for a year- was great. Did Wildman's Mega Darkstar Class 3 flight sim and write up with it.

Rasaero is awesome, and does not copy anything else.

Last edited:
+1. I couldn't ever really get comfortable with OR results. Yeah you can draw nicer pictures with it, but that's like last on my feature list for simulation software.

Pretty pictures are worthless unless the sim accurately predicts the flight. Function over form.

Back