Help with BULK Rocket build information please!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow very thorough Daniel!

Bob, thx for the offer on the razor, I do have one and the issue I had with the razor that I built is the tubes are very thin and the colored paper that is wrapped around the tubes don't provide a strong glue point and that paper on mine was already coming off straight out of the package. I'm not ruling it out totally but I think I will go with FlisKits is my first choice with BMS my second, Estes TTW third - which may come down to availability. I'll be ordering this week. However I will need a bulk motor package B6-4 if you have? With extra igniters and such.

Nick the only bull packs of motors I have at the moment is A8-3 and Blast Off (mix of a, b, c)

You cant go wrong with the BMS school rocket. They are easy to build and good solid flyers. I would concur about the razor by custom. You really need to sand away the coloring to get a good gluing surface that will hold properly. Bill at BMS might even do a package deal for you with motors as well, he does sell them.

Today went well all 9 kids built within the 1.5 hr with the Flis Doodad, even thank a BAR will come from that.

I decided to not prebuild anything since my son really wanted to impress dad and do everything himself, so I thought lets just let them do everything and see if we could finish. 8-13 yr olds completed in 1:15. I made a power point of the doodad and some fun rocket stuff.
One thing that I should've done different would be to have everyone on the same step instead of a free for all. Easy to manage all questions - then running around to each individual and this would've mitigated a couple of issues that you can earn them before the make the slit or before the glue in the motor block etc.

Thanks Tony for the syringes idea, Walgreens just gave them to me.

Thanks Daniel for all your thorough tips, if you end up doing another class in Bloomington next year and would like a volunteer to help with anything I would be happy to. You are welcome to come and launch if you wanted to launch some bigger ones.

Jim Flis, thanks for a great kit and getting this to me in a timely manner.

Today went well all 9 kids built within the 1.5 hr with the Flis Doodad, even thank a BAR will come from that.

I decided to not prebuild anything since my son really wanted to impress dad and do everything himself, so I thought lets just let them do everything and see if we could finish. 8-13 yr olds completed in 1:15. I made a power point of the doodad and some fun rocket stuff.
One thing that I should've done different would be to have everyone on the same step instead of a free for all. Easy to manage all questions - then running around to each individual and this would've mitigated a couple of issues that you can earn them before the make the slit or before the glue in the motor block etc.

Thanks Tony for the syringes idea, Walgreens just gave them to me.

Thanks Daniel for all your thorough tips, if you end up doing another class in Bloomington next year and would like a volunteer to help with anything I would be happy to. You are welcome to come and launch if you wanted to launch some bigger ones.

Jim Flis, thanks for a great kit and getting this to me in a timely manner.

Thanks for the offer! If I do it again next year, I'll take you up on that (would be nice to have a larger field to launch some Big Kid Rockets).

Glad it went well with the build. Doing it step by step as a group does make it easier. I'm glad Walgreens gave you the syringes and I hope they worked well. I don't think kids get enough chances to build things these days and develop the fine motor skills required to carefully work with small parts. Letting them do the entire build will also give them a greater sense of accomplishment and confidence that you trusted them to do it all themselves.

Tony

Back