ROCKETRY SURVEY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little hesitant to click a link with little to no description of who or what..

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself? who you are? what you are studying? what the survey is about? why you chose us?

(And it's considered bad manners to post a topic more than once, and in threads with no apparent relation..)

Apologies, this is for a Statistics course in a graduate school MBA program, and I was assigned a multiple linear regression analysis project. I felt like I might as well tie in my love of rocketry to the assignment. Thank you for your time in completing it, I appreciate it.

Respectfully,

Cherie

I took the survey. For those hesitant to try the link it takes you to Survey Monkey; a well known web based survey tool. I only took the survey and didn't go to any of the other links at Survey Monkey.

I have a Masters in Ops Research. What kind of study are you doing? Asking people if they have an interest in rockets on a rocketry forum doesn't bode well for randomized survey taking. Just sayin...

Survey done!

some fed back: I thought some of the questions were a little vague, or open ended. And some needed to have an N/A, no opinion, or don't want to say option.

I have a Masters in Ops Research. What kind of study are you doing? Asking people if they have an interest in rockets on a rocketry forum doesn't bode well for randomized survey taking. Just sayin...

I've noticed most statistics surveys, the training isn't how to set them up and interpret.... It's how to get the results you want ;) (to be fair, I've seen it indirectly in the sciences too)

I've got ~25 years in custom market research and I would agree that sampling methods may be questionable if presented as "General Population" sample. :)

However this survey seems tailored enough to be a targeted sample, which is acceptable as long as you define the methodology of sample gathering/outreach.

Apologies, this is for a Statistics course in a graduate school MBA program, and I was assigned a multiple linear regression analysis project. I felt like I might as well tie in my love of rocketry to the assignment. Thank you for your time in completing it, I appreciate it.

Respectfully,

Cherie

Also please let us know more about your own interest in rocketry! :)

I've got ~25 years in custom market research and I would agree that sampling methods may be questionable if presented as "General Population" sample. :)

However this survey seems tailored enough to be a targeted sample, which is acceptable as long as you define the methodology of sample gathering/outreach.

I understand the difference between a random and targeted sample. I was actually asking a leading question to see if the OP would tell us a little bit about the survey. But telling us the purpose of the survey could skew the results. Always a tough decision as to what to ask and exactly how to ask it to prevent bias. Then again, the OP may simply be gathering data for the multiple linear regression analysis and doesn't care about accuracy or bias.

In one of my graduate statistics classes the professor showed us how to calculate the reliability of a system. He gave us the expected reliability of each of the components in the system and which items were in series and which were in parallel. Then he calculated the reliability of the system and the probability of a successful outcome. The system? The electric chair. He was a bit odd.

Want a debate? Ask a model rocketeer to do something and set back while the fun ensues.

Cherie76, another thing you should know about forums...ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING!!!

It's bad form...

Peace

I understand the difference between a random and targeted sample. I was actually asking a leading question to see if the OP would tell us a little bit about the survey. But telling us the purpose of the survey could skew the results. Always a tough decision as to what to ask and exactly how to ask it to prevent bias. Then again, the OP may simply be gathering data for the multiple linear regression analysis and doesn't care about accuracy or bias.

In one of my graduate statistics classes the professor showed us how to calculate the reliability of a system. He gave us the expected reliability of each of the components in the system and which items were in series and which were in parallel. Then he calculated the reliability of the system and the probability of a successful outcome. The system? The electric chair. He was a bit odd.

Ah! Very clever!

As a side-note & disclaimer, I was on strong cold medicine yesterday, so I was not operating at full bulb brightness. However I probably know enough to run my own firm (at my current position I am often asked for the best way to do something in regards to surveys and data handing), but I'd rather not...I like having some free time for fun stuff. :cyclops:

Cherie - You've hit the jackpot...lots of survey expertise here and we're usually a very helpful bunch here! :)

Want a debate? Ask a model rocketeer to do something and set back while the fun ensues.

More like ask a model rocketeer the best way to do something and watch the fur fly! :lol:

How many rocket launches have I seen/been to, participated in, dodged and/or disavowed?? Good luck quantifying "a bunch"! What qualifies as A "NASA facility"? "A bunch". Have we ever spent enough money on rockets after we landed on the moon? Never. Crap! I have become that 'grumpy old man'...just another list I'm on. You'd be paranoid too, if everybody else was after you.

Last edited:
Back