A ? about Estes Express or large rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaunchPad

Reaction score
So I got this rocket made and ready to launch.

https://jonrocket.com/store/products/cc-express

However when I made the first attempt today, it was quite wobbly and unstable on the launch rod and pad so I decided to abort the mission.

The hole for the launch lug is a bigger diameter than say for the Alpha and yet the instructions do read that it is for a 3/16" launch rod which is what I have.

Is there anyone who has also encountered this and if so, what did you do for it to be stable on the standard Estes launch pad that had it launch and land successfully?

Note that I was only attempting the first stage without the second. It does read this can be done but does attaching the second/lower stage help with stability?

Do I need to put on a smaller launch lug for when I want to launch the first stage only? If so, where do I get one?

hmm, the instructions call for two lugs one near the base of the sustainer and one near the forward end, is that how you did yours?
Rex

The hole for the launch lug is a bigger diameter than say for the Alpha and yet the instructions do read that it is for a 3/16" launch rod which is what I have.

The Alpha uses a 1/8" lug and rod, This sentence gives me the impression you think the Alpha and CC Express use the same rod.

Last edited:
hmm, the instructions call for two lugs one near the base of the sustainer and one near the forward end, is that how you did yours?
Rex
Yes. There are separate lugs for the 1st and 2nd stages.

I'm also in Wisconsin. Where about are you?

The Alpha uses a 1/8" lug and rod, This sentence gives me the impression you think the Alpha and CC Express use the same rod.
You mean I'm not supposed to use a 3/16" rod with the Alpha and other similar sized lugs?
Those rockets take off just fine.
Would they do better with a 1/8" rod?

ah, you're not supposed to have one lug per stage, both lugs are supposed to be on the upper stage(the lower stage doesn't fly well by itself what with no nose cone, and being aerodynamically unstable). put a 2nd lug on the upper stage and that should cure the problem.
about 7 mi south of Madison.
Rex

You mean I'm not supposed to use a 3/16" rod with the Alpha and other similar sized lugs?
Those rockets take off just fine.
Would they do better with a 1/8" rod?

I didn't say it would do better with a 1/8" rod rather than 3/16", you're misinterpreting my post. What I am saying is that the Alpha includes a 1/8" launch lug in the kit. You can upgrade that if you want or not. But if you're using the kit lug on the Alpha and it works well on your launch rod then you might have a 1/8" rod instead of a 3/16". That would explain why the CC Express, using 3/16" lugs, would be wobbly. Having not seen your setup, it's difficult to tell from your descriptions but the two kits, built stock, require different launch rods. Your original post made me think you're using the same rod for both. I took it that they were stock builds.

ah, you're not supposed to have one lug per stage, both lugs are supposed to be on the upper stage(the lower stage doesn't fly well by itself what with no nose cone, and being aerodynamically unstable). put a 2nd lug on the upper stage and that should cure the problem.
about 7 mi south of Madison.
Rex
I see what you mean now. The instructions were not clear.

I'm in Madison.

Estes instructions are not like they used to be(although even the old instructions were unclear at times :)). I had suspected that you might have erred but, didn't want to jump to conclusions. perhaps I will see you out at Johnson Creek some day for a low and mid power launch?
Rex

Estes instructions are not like they used to be(although even the old instructions were unclear at times :)). I had suspected that you might have erred but, didn't want to jump to conclusions. perhaps I will see you out at Johnson Creek some day for a low and mid power launch?
Rex
I corrected it and it took off and came back just fine.

Probably not since I launch in a field nearby and am happy with it.
I like hauling the rockets and gear in the trailer on my bike.

Back