Whistle while you work

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
I'm one of those people that can't work in my shop unless I have music going. Unfortunately I'm usually working on rocket related stuff after everyone has gone to bed in the house, which limits the volume and intensity of what I'm listening to.

Currently on my cd player in the basement:
Plastikman- Consumed
DJ spooky- Songs of a dead dreamer
The Irresistable Force- Flying high

What do you listen to while you are working on rockets?

I'm obsessed with podcasts. I subscribe to roughly 30 different podcasts, and workshop time is time to catch up on downloaded episodes.
Some of my favorites:
Radiolab
This American Life
Invisibilia
Reply All
Serial
Love + Radio
THE Diane Rehm Show
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
Marketplace
Death, Sex, and Money
Dan Carlin's Common Sense and Hardcore History
Freakonomics
More Perfect
Hidden Brain
Science Friday
Revisionist History
And more...

Depends on the Day, and the task...my taste in music all over the map. Popular rotation includes:

The Stooges
Lupe Fiasco
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Bob Dylan
Talib Kweli
Serj Tankian (solo and SOAD)
Woody Guthrie
Lead Belly
Tom Morello (solo and RATM)
Tool
Johnny Cash
Kendrick Lamar
Henry Rollins (Black Flag, Rollins Band and especially spoken word)

Also, the Hamilton soundtrack is absolutely F-ing genius. I'm almost sorry the show has gained the recognition it deserves because I'm not shelling out $1200 a piece for a ticket on top of travel.

I always wear headphones. Partly because the music is loud, and partly because some (most) of it isn't appropriate for my 7 and 5 year olds.

Last edited:
Let's see the stack of CDs in the garage is:

Rush
Tool
A Perfect Circle
No Doubt
The The
Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
Poi Dog Pondering

If I'm in the shop with my mp3 player, the list grows exponentially.

I got a little bluetooth Oontz Angle 3 that blasts Eminem and Fallout boy, along with a mix of some other stuff.

I just have the TV on -- an Oriole game, if one is on, or sometimes the reruns of Showtime's Outer Limits on a local syndicate.

I have a Cambridge Soundworks amp/subwoofer setup driving some JBL speakers above my workbench.

My preferred music source is my cellphone connected to the audio system via a Bluetooth adapter.

I usually listen to a variety of podcasts while working in the shop/gym. When lifting, I have several music playlists I run to keep the energy levels up. Typical artists are Pantera, Rage Against The Machine, Black Keys, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Ozzy, and Black Sabbath.

When traveling to rocket launches I always cue up some CG and Jheem on the Rocketry Podcast.

I'm kinda nerdy, so the list reflects that:

Public Service Broadcasting (their Go album should be required listening for rocketeers)
Jonathan Coulton (although some songs are NSFW, but where else will you hear the Mandelbrot set described as a badass f-ing fractal?)
If you like Coulton, the Doubleclicks are cool too
They Might Be Giants
Robyn Hitchcock
David Byrne

Let's see the stack of CDs in the garage is:

Rush
Tool
A Perfect Circle
No Doubt
The The
Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
Poi Dog Pondering

If I'm in the shop with my mp3 player, the list grows exponentially.

Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Nine Inch Nails... you just earned bonus respect. LoL

I listen to a wide variety of stuff usually. Metallica, Tool, NiN, Avenged Sevenfold, five finger death punch, Slipknot, etc, etc, and so forth.

Lately been listening to In This Moment and adding a little Motionless in White into the mix.

I listen to a wide variety of stuff usually. Metallica, Tool, NiN, Avenged Sevenfold, five finger death punch, Slipknot, etc, etc, and so forth.

Lately been listening to In This Moment and adding a little Motionless in White into the mix.

All you need is a little Pretty Reckless and Halestrorm and you'd have my list...

Adrian

Just downloaded two Alan Parsons Project albums: I Robot (LOL!) and Pyramid.

Amazon has a strange policy where you buy a CD and immediately download the .mp3 files which ends costing less than just buying the downloads. Go figure on that one.

Well, my typical list of late has been:

Frank Zappa
Prince
Toto
Tony MacAlpine
Circus Maximus

Back