One year of legalized LGBTQ marriage!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
On June 26, 2015, SCOTUS, thankfully, upheld the legality of LGBTQ marriage, over a year ago! What a great and amazing time in the USA, where every human being had the legal freedom to live their personal love life as they see fit. Let's celebrate with Pride!

Agreed- although there may be people who think this is a bad SC decision, or believe this is some sort of sign of "end times", the world is always moving towards being a better place, for all people.

For those of you lurking on the forum who are a GSM, you are a valued person, and deserve the best that life can offer. For everyone else (which includes myself), I wish you the same.

Although I would prefer the term civil union over marriage, I would NEVER deni a same sex union the same rights & privileges as a traditional marriage. But again you will experience the unintended consequences, divorce, divorce lawyers, tax filings. Of course my last statement is in jest. Congratulations to ALL!

I think the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, and Transgender) community should enjoy the same blessings and protections afforded to all other citizens of the United States, including the God given Right to Keep and Bear Arms for their own protection. Here's a gay man who agrees with me, starting at 12 minutes in:

[video=youtube;xLqkizGtFo0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLqkizGtFo0[/video]

I think the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, and Transgender) community should enjoy the same blessings and protections afforded to all other citizens of the United States, including the God given Right to Keep and Bear Arms for their own protection. Here's a gay man who agrees with me, starting at 12 minutes in:

[video=youtube;xLqkizGtFo0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLqkizGtFo0[/video]

Tmack I agree with him, a smart man!

That the government has ANY say in who can or can't get married/civil union/ whatever is ridiculous.

My take - Marriage is a religious institution. If you perform the service in a church/synagogue/mosque, you're married. If you go down to the courthouse to see the JP, it's a civil union. This goes for any couple, whether traditional or LGBTQ.

Both marriages and civil unions need to be registered with the state for taxing, inheritance, etc. and both have equal rights and protection under the law.

Since Facebook now has 56 different choices in its "Gender" drop-down, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

Still confused. What is the difference between "queer" and "gay?" And if you are questioning, wouldn't you want to get answers before committing to a marriage?

Queer is more of a general, coverall term. If you're calling someone who is gay "a queer", it's a not very nice slur.

As far as questioning- yes, your logic would make some sense. Obviously going into a marriage without a good sense of yourself is a recipe for difficult times ahead.

However:
The goal of including "questioning" in the general umbrella of LGBTQIA or GSM (Gender and Sexual Minority- for those whom this term is new) is to create a group that allows for coverage of all people who feel isolated due to their gender or sexual identity. It also allows for the fact that the discovery of who you are is not always a wake up one day "I'm GAY!" and everything is settled.

Related: If you count yourself as "Questioning" then the SC ruling last year also applies to you. It shows that no matter who you are, that the laws are going to be equally applied to you. Otherwise, it's like saying "it's ok to question who you are, but note, if you are going down path 'x', you'll be ostracized and hated for life". As we can see with people 50 years ago (and today, in certain areas/cultures of the US), people will live in self-denial and misery, just to avoid that ostracism.

Please note that I'm stating all of this as a straight guy, and may be completely wrong.

Last edited:
Since Facebook now has 56 different choices in its "Gender" drop-down, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

And the sad part is... most of those are solely for people who want to be their own special gender so they can be a special snowflake. I understand gay, and I understand lesbian. Anything past that tends to be people just wanting attention.

And the sad part is... most of those are solely for people who want to be their own special gender so they can be a special snowflake. I understand gay, and I understand lesbian. Anything past that tends to be people just wanting attention.

My understanding is that lesbian and gay are not exactly "genders", they are related more to "orientations". Lesbians are of the female gender and have a homosexual orientation, while gay men are of the male gender and have a homosexual orientation. That's why it gets very complicated --- many different genders and many different orientations.

There is nothing in the Constitution that allows the Fed to tinker around in marriage - one way or the other. The Congress stayed away right up until they wanted an income tax, and all the voter constituencies that went with that. Having created the "married, filing jointly" constituency, they have no grounds to deny that to anyone who wishes to claim it. States, on the other hand....
Marriage licenses being issued by the States and not the Fed goes back to the founding of the religious Colonies - which the constitution of the Republic did not force them to cease and desist - meaning each state can choose how they implement the protection/projection of civil rights.
When the SC decided to tell the states to cease choosing to whom they would issue licenses the SC came to the right decision for the wrong reasons. They should have voided "married filing jointly" because it favored some states over others, and refused to create a federal mandate to abrogate the constitutions and laws of the various states that did treat everyone equally when it came to race, sex and everything else except creed.

I know. I'm not a lawyer and some smart-ass is going to tell me that because of some ruling here or there the current stare decisis (sp?) is xy and z. To which I say- "I'm an engineer. Screw your rulings. Go back to original concepts and prove your point or get off my bridge."

Isn't this a political discussion, and as such, should not be on TRF?

Though no one has chimed in with an opposing view, I assume it is because they are not wanting to stir things up, and not because there aren't people here with opposing views on TRF. I think this post was not a good idea.

I remember not too long ago someone said something like, "This one time, I posted a rocket build thread on a political forum and people were so confused." That was funny.

I personally don't care how anyone identifies or what they want to call themselves. I'm very liberal minded when it comes to that, or social issues in general. Nobody should restrict what you are just because they don't like it. Any person that wants to get married to another person who also agrees (that's important) should be allowed. It clearly is nobody else's business to try and tell them they can't.

Restricting where people are allowed to go, and who is going to feel weird about it, is another matter without an easy answer. I used to feel strongly one way until someone made a good point in a discussion, and now I'm not so sure that there can be an answer that pleases everyone. I'm glad I'm not responsible for making decisions on that one.

Any person that wants to get married to another person who also agrees (that's important) should be allowed. It clearly is nobody else's business to try and tell them they can't.

Does this apply to polygamy?

I would encourage you to discuss it with someone who is one of those other letters if the opportunity presents. They would really be the best to explain it to you, and most people appreciate the opportunity to define themselves rather than be defined.

As long as it is not illegal, unethical, or immoral, I don't care what you do but stay the hell off of my porch.

Does this apply to polygamy?

It's an interesting question. Should polygamy be legalized? Assuming all parties are consenting adults, and not the creepy FLDS Mormons? Personally, I don't have an opinion either way.

-snip- Though no one has chimed in with an opposing view, I assume it is because they are not wanting to stir things up, and not because there aren't people here with opposing views on TRF. -snip-

That really doesn't sound like this place at all, though I agree there are certainly people here of opposing view. I suspect they will be along at some point.

As long as it is not illegal, unethical, or immoral, I don't care what you do but stay the hell off of my porch.

Illegal?: That is defined by a judge/jury
Unethical?: Defined by individuals
Immoral?: Defined by individuals

That really doesn't sound like this place at all, though I agree there are certainly people here of opposing view. I suspect they will be along at some point.

Or they inderstand that this could go nuclear very quickly. I am really surprised that an Admin hasn't shut this down.

Isn't this a political discussion, and as such, should not be on TRF?

CzTeacherMan is retaliating against the "Self Defense" thread started by Ted Macklin. Eventually both will get locked. It is each individual's responsibility not to get him/her/itself banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back