One year of legalized LGBTQ marriage!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always figured this forum was full of red blooded Americans that were good ol' boys. I am learning its not, its filled with tree hugger, equality crap folks. Its sad. What ever happened to the good ol' days when a place like this was like a 1950's mens locker room.

What difference does it make if people are heterosexual, homosexual, gun lovers, gun haters, polluters or tree huggers on a rocketry forum? Discussion of rockets is the main reason we come here. Your enjoyment of this forum shouldn't have changed one bit by this, or any other, off topic thread. The simple solution is to just ignore the threads you don't like. We are all rocketeers and that's all that should matter.

My understanding is that lesbian and gay are not exactly "genders", they are related more to "orientations". Lesbians are of the female gender and have a homosexual orientation, while gay men are of the male gender and have a homosexual orientation. That's why it gets very complicated --- many different genders and many different orientations.

Let me clarify... my comment was in reply to the "Facebook has 56 recognizable genders" comment that I quoted. I understand the difference between gender identity and gender orientation. :)

I think that likely reflects more upon the limits of your understanding than of the reality of the situation.
In my defense, my closest friends are lesbian. See the below comment.

I would encourage you to discuss it with someone who is one of those other letters if the opportunity presents. They would really be the best to explain it to you, and most people appreciate the opportunity to define themselves rather than be defined.
Actually, I have. Many times. My closest friend is a total lesbian. I've talked with person upon person who identifies as some odd gender orientation (pansexual, asexual, whatever). I've had hour long discussions with them, asking what really makes them feel like they have to identify as some odd orientation. And their answers always end up being something that translates to "It's a way to get attention."

I'm not sure how much you interact with teenagers. However, in today's times, many teens feel like they need to have constant attention on social media. By "coming out" as a non-straight individual, person after person will immediately jump in and say "Oh, I support your decision... we're so proud of you.... we're so happy that you were brave enough to do this..."....

These are what I based my comment off of. Again, let me clarify. I have many friends who are gay and lesbian. I wholely support them. The thing that drives me insane are those who want to identify as their own special gender/orientation in order to get attention, and to demand extra rights because they are a minority.

I'm gonna step out of this thread now. I got rockets to build.

Last edited:
I have a question. Why is the "T" included with "LGB?" Isn't it an entirely separate issue? Wouldn't a "T" be the same likelihood as the general populace to be "LGB?" So what is the commonality besides the belief that they are put-upon minorities?

Reality is making it hard...

For me to remain cynical...

I have a question. Why is the "T" included with "LGB?" Isn't it an entirely separate issue? Wouldn't a "T" be the same likelihood as the general populace to be "LGB?" So what is the commonality besides the belief that they are put-upon minorities?

Gender identity and sexual orientation are not the same thing.

Like I mentioned earlier in the list, they are both GSM (gender and/or sexual minorities). You are correct in that it's somewhat of a separate issue- but they can suffer the same discrimination, and therefore are included under the same group.

There is literally no good that will come from this conversation. It's a lot like the South Park episode "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson" where Stan doesn't get it until he admits he doesn't get it.

It's ridiculous really, and not great Rocketry Forum fodder. What happened to that thread where people just reposted funny things they saw on Facebook or Reddit?

There is literally no good that will come from this conversation. It's a lot like the South Park episode "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson" where Stan doesn't get it until he admits he doesn't get it.

It's ridiculous really, and not great Rocketry Forum fodder. What happened to that thread where people just reposted funny things they saw on Facebook or Reddit?

I disagree. I think there's a lot of good that has already come from this thread. A lot of education and sharing.
Education and sharing are certainly worthy goals.

I remember reading somewhere that first cousins are genetically dissimilar enough that they could marry and their offspring would not have genetic problems. However, just think of the in-law problems you would have!

When I was growing up, Uncle Dad and Aunt Mom said that kind of thing was fine. :D

I disagree. I think there's a lot of good that has already come from this thread. A lot of education and sharing.
Education and sharing are certainly worthy goals.

Keep it going then. It's like another South Park episode, "Eek, a Penis!" where Mr. Garrison becomes a man again and Cartman struggles to teach inner city children how to cheat to get ahead.

4391651_700b.jpg

As stated earlier, they are gender and or sexual minorities. Same reason African-Americans and Latinos are lumped together when talking about racial minorities. Though they have some distinct differences in their struggles as a minority, they also have a lot in common. So they get grouped together for more general discussions. But the individual issues also get dealt with by sub-groups.

African-Americans and Latinos are lumped together when talking about racial minorities.

Speaking of African-Americans, I have a question: is that label used for American people of Libyan, Moroccan, or Tunisian ancestry?

Via my personal experience, I think the answer to that question is "no". But my experience may not represent the reality.

I only bring this up because ongoing confusion about the LGBTQxxxx label. As an Enterprise Information Architect, I struggle daily with the concept of coming up with accurate names for a population of items. When those items are people, it is damn near impossible to come up with labels that fit 100% if the population.

In practice, we find it is better to settle on SOMETHING, with the understanding that those labels are not perfect and never will be.

One of my younger brothers is in a committed gay relationship. We went on a family cruise a few years ago and we we put with a table of about six older ladies from South Carolina. He felt it important to mention his relationship - to make sure there was no potential for discord. He did so and the response from one was what I consider one of the best ever. All she said was "So?"

To me this was perfect. Basically she said in one word that what he did in his life was not anything she had any position on. His personal life was his alone.

I really wish people could just allow others to live their lives as they like.

And there my friend is the Problem! First there is Nothing Gay about Queers. If these poor misguided people want to do such in the privacy of their own Home....Out of the public eye. Then I have no real problem "other then the moral one" with what goes on behind closed doors. That said: These Misfits do not want to be behind closed doors they want to be in everyones face. That I have a Big Problem with. All these unfortunate soles will pay the price in the here-after but until that time I for one do not want to see male on male or female on female activity, It is just sickening.
Every Civilization that has embraced Queer activity throughout history has fallen within a very short period of time (Under 100years). Look it up, it might open some eyes.
There are only two genders: Male and Female, Everything else these poor soles "think" they are is simply BS. Misguided queer behavior should not be tolerated by anyone. These behaviors are "Sin". We can love the sinner but not the sin! I struggle with this often every time I see a Queer couple with an adopted child I want Scream Child Abuse. They are killing our civilization one child at a time. If GOD wanted same sex couples he would have made us that with that ability to reproduce. What these misguided soles do to themselves is their business...But they have NO Right to expose Innocent children to this fowl situation.
Sorry LGBT community you are completely out of control, while the bleeding heart dems will no doubt keep trying to push this crap apon us. eventually the good will prevail and stop this insanity. My wish is that it comes sooner then later as our country is already suffereing enough.

I don't mind saying now that this thread (*and* the Self Defense thread, and others of its ilk) is actively reducing my enjoyment of this forum, more and more each day. I don't come here for this; there are other places to engage in these types of delightful conversations. Likewise, I am going to some friends' house for supper tonight, and will not start up a conversation on abortion rights, unless it is my goal to avoid such invitations in the future.

And I can't just ignore it because when I browse the "New Posts" listing (either on-line or in the iPhone app) it's perpetually right there in my face, with no way (that I can find) to hide it. If there were an "ignore thread" function that enabled me to never see it, then I wouldn't care so much, but there is not. On the app I even get a line or two of the content of the latest post, in my face, all the time. Yay.

FWIW.

What these misguided soles do to themselves is their business...But they have NO Right to expose Innocent children to this fowl situation.

Homophones...wow, if that had been an intentional joke referencing the general thread topic, it would have been brilliant.

I don't mind saying now that this thread (*and* the Self Defense thread, and others of its ilk) is actively reducing my enjoyment of this forum, more and more each day. I don't come here for this; there are other places to engage in these types of delightful conversations. Likewise, I am going to some friends' house for supper tonight, and will not start up a conversation on abortion rights, unless it is my goal to avoid such invitations in the future.

And I can't just ignore it because when I browse the "New Posts" listing (either on-line or in the iPhone app) it's perpetually right there in my face, with no way (that I can find) to hide it. If there were an "ignore thread" function that enabled me to never see it, then I wouldn't care so much, but there is not. On the app I even get a line or two of the content of the latest post, in my face, all the time. Yay.

FWIW.

So you HAVE to click on every thread that has a new post? You can't decide, all on your own, to ignore it yourself even without the forum feature to ignore a thread?

That's so weird to me that people object to content inside a thread and suggest that it not be allowed because they don't want to read it. There are a LOT of threads that I see on here, and just by the title I make the decision to not click on it. I'm not exposed to the things I don't want to see - but I don't open the threads and complain about the content.

And there my friend is the Problem! First there is Nothing Gay about Queers. If these poor misguided people want to do such in the privacy of their own Home....Out of the public eye. Then I have no real problem "other then the moral one" with what goes on behind closed doors. That said: These Misfits do not want to be behind closed doors they want to be in everyones face. That I have a Big Problem with. All these unfortunate soles will pay the price in the here-after but until that time I for one do not want to see male on male or female on female activity, It is just sickening.
Every Civilization that has embraced Queer activity throughout history has fallen within a very short period of time (Under 100years). Look it up, it might open some eyes.
There are only two genders: Male and Female, Everything else these poor soles "think" they are is simply BS. Misguided queer behavior should not be tolerated by anyone. These behaviors are "Sin". We can love the sinner but not the sin! I struggle with this often every time I see a Queer couple with an adopted child I want Scream Child Abuse. They are killing our civilization one child at a time. If GOD wanted same sex couples he would have made us that with that ability to reproduce. What these misguided soles do to themselves is their business...But they have NO Right to expose Innocent children to this fowl situation.
Sorry LGBT community you are completely out of control, while the bleeding heart dems will no doubt keep trying to push this crap apon us. eventually the good will prevail and stop this insanity. My wish is that it comes sooner then later as our country is already suffereing enough.

It cracks me up when religious people use their beliefs to explain why someone else's beliefs are wrong. Especially when they do so in a hypocritical way like this.

Guys

I'm totally fed up with the baiting and trolling conducted by my dirty dozen. Keep it up and there will be some time outs awarded.

No one elected any of you God of this country. How about reading the Constitution and the Bill of Rights in addition to the Bible.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back