Madcow 2.6" Screech v.54mm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcCann

Reaction score
So a while back I built a 54mm booster for my Screech.

Decided it should have it's own avbay, payload and NC :)

27689812650_05f419160f_b.jpg

27867740932_33dc7c8b79_b.jpg

Work will likely progress over the next couple of months (moving stinks.) Hopefully this will fly on an EX 54/1600 in Potter and finally crack that elusive 10K mark. I'm sure a K627 would do that in the 38mm screech, but I've got other plans for that load :)

Oooh, I'll be watching! I've been debating on getting one of the 2.6" FG kits from Madcow and choosing the 54mm mount. I've done the low and slow stuff. Kinda got the itch to start punching some holes...

Oooh, I'll be watching! I've been debating on getting one of the 2.6" FG kits from Madcow and choosing the 54mm mount. I've done the low and slow stuff. Kinda got the itch to start punching some holes...

The Loki 38/1200 and AT 38/1320 cases put pretty good holes in the sky with the K1127, J1026, and J510W loads.... all around 9K and a little over Mach. The K627LR packs 1500 Ns into a 38mm hole. Those loads beat out or match most the 54mm 3 grain/ 1200 loads, so unless you're going to fly 4-5 grain loads I'd go with the 38 for ease of use.

The Loki 38/1200 and AT 38/1320 cases put pretty good holes in the sky with the K1127, J1026, and J510W loads.... all around 9K and a little over Mach. The K627LR packs 1500 Ns into a 38mm hole. Those loads beat out or match most the 54mm 3 grain/ 1200 loads, so unless you're going to fly 4-5 grain loads I'd go with the 38 for ease of use.

Good to know. Thanks. I have all of the CTI 38mm hardware, but no AT. Out of curiosity, what's the weight of your 38mm Screech flight ready?

Good to know. Thanks. I have all of the CTI 38mm hardware, but no AT. Out of curiosity, what's the weight of your 38mm Screech flight ready?

With the loki 1200 cases loaded it's 7.5 pounds on the pad, so around 5 pounds with no motor. (MARSA54, 9volt, BRB900 with LiPo, and a 4" rocket man chute)

With the loki 1200 cases loaded it's 7.5 pounds on the pad, so around 5 pounds with no motor. (MARSA54, 9volt, BRB900 with LiPo, and a 4" rocket man chute)

Very good. Thank you sir. I really like the Screech, but I also like the DX3. Decisions, decisions...

Very good. Thank you sir. I really like the Screech, but I also like the DX3. Decisions, decisions...

I was torn both times I purchased between the two. I'm sure someday I'll wind up with a DX3, always wanted one. (maybe a 29mm? lol)

I was torn both times I purchased between the two. I'm sure someday I'll wind up with a DX3, always wanted one. (maybe a 29mm? lol)

Well, I'm torn between the 38 and 54 as well as which model. Like I said, I have all of the CTI 38 hardware, but no AT. In 54 I have a CTI 3G and an AT 1706 with the adapter set. I'll be getting more hardware in both I'm sure, but of course I could always get the 54 version and adapt down. Ugh! Lol

Well, I'm torn between the 38 and 54 as well as which model. Like I said, I have all of the CTI 38 hardware, but no AT. In 54 I have a CTI 3G and an AT 1706 with the adapter set. I'll be getting more hardware in both I'm sure, but of course I could always get the 54 version and adapt down. Ugh! Lol

This thought path is how I wound up with a stupid amount of cases. I've been selling many off and trying to concentrate on snap ring stuff.

That aside, I'd go 54 and adapt down. There aren't many downsides to that plan, and it'll let you stuff a 1706 in there, which you're going to want to do...

This thought path is how I wound up with a stupid amount of cases. I've been selling many off and trying to concentrate on snap ring stuff.

That aside, I'd go 54 and adapt down. There aren't many downsides to that plan, and it'll let you stuff a 1706 in there, which you're going to want to do...

You hit the nail on the head...

Currently injecting fillets on my Screech right now. One more set tonight, a cleanup of epoxy, and off to the paint shop....

Want to fly this at NARAM. Shouldn't have an issue doing so... But we'll see. Thinking a J350 for a shakedown flight :) Although I do have a J570 in my box...

The goal is to work my way up to the Loki 54/2000. I have the 2800 also but gotta get past that 2000 threshold first. NARAM is only good for 12k, Princeton 16k... Argonia won't be until next year.

-Mike

How did you attach your harness to the booster? Madcow says the 54mm version needs the forward motor closure anchor. Wouldn't epoxying it to the motor mount work just fine?

It will, if you allow for it. Make sure you notch your CR for your harness of choice. Kevlar is highly recommended. If you use tubular nylon in close proximity of the ejection charge, you will burn it up and will not be able to repair it.

I'm banking on using the threaded plugged forward closure on mine at all times, pretty much. Will be a bit difficult on the smaller sizes, but thankfully I was able to score a 38mm plugged forward closure that is threaded.

-Mike

Yea, I've done Kevlar glued right to the motor mount on all my FG rockets.

Ill likely connect to the motor most of the time, but the harness is there if I need it.

I have been looking for a OpenRocket Madcow 2.6" Screech file, anyone have one?

I wanted to jump on the weekend sale on Madcow and finally get the 54mm version, but I was laid off last week and probably shouldn't be spending my dough on a rocket. But I'm sure I'll be back to work before the holidays, so maybe during the Black Friday sale I can finally snag one up. Sigh...

I wanted to jump on the weekend sale on Madcow and finally get the 54mm version, but I was laid off last week and probably shouldn't be spending my dough on a rocket. But I'm sure I'll be back to work before the holidays, so maybe during the Black Friday sale I can finally snag one up. Sigh...

I have been known to snag Madcow stuff during labor day sales ;)

hope the layoff isn't too long man.

Last edited:
I have been known to snag Madcow stuff during labor day sales ;)

hope the layoff isn't too long man.

Thanks for the heads up on the Labor Day sale. It shouldn't last long. I'm second on the call back list. Fingers crossed. I can finally make a dent in my build pile now. Plenty of kits to take up my free time. Lol

Back