• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Antenna tower

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonimus

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy 20 or so feet of antenna tower so I don't have to weld one up. Anyone got a line on some?

Last edited:
You may look at the ham sites (in classified sections) where used tower segments are sold for example QTH.com and eham.net. Also, vendors such as "texas towers" and/or MFJ (located in MS.) can be googled to assess their new towers for sale. Good luck.

Fred
L2, ROSCO
KG4YGP

QTH is down or no longer in use. Eham, I already looked there. Thank you for both, though. If I can't find it before August, I'll just make my own out of IMC.

Boy, I'd think a DIY chunk of tower would be a bit of work. A serviceable, not too rusty chunk would be all you need and second hand would be fine I'd expect.
I had a friend who got some light towers from a local high school when they decided to change out their lights at the football field. He's going to use them for
antenna towers out on in the country. I forgot to mention he got them for free just to haul them away after the installer on the new towers took them down
and didn't want to salvage.

That's akin to a research flier picking up a 20qt. Hobart mixer for next to nothing! :wink: Kurt

Last edited:
Yeah, a DIY tower is going to consist of no less than 54 cuts, 180 inches of weld, plus the cost of the IMC. That's why I'm looking for some. Just haven't found any yet. I've had my eye out for a while, just hadn't posted that I was in need.

I have a short piece mounted to a plate, might be a start for whatever you have planned. We are cleaning up around here, I would let it go for a song if you came over and took it away...

086.jpg

I'm looking to buy 20 or so feet of antenna tower so I don't have to weld one up. Anyone got a line on some?

Keep a search for "Rohn" truss tower on Craigslist. Every so often, as cable becomes more popular, people give up their TV antennas. You may need to help them take it down, which would lower or eliminate the price for you. Relatively easy to do, one section at a time, starting at the top.

IMG_5652.jpg

I have a short piece mounted to a plate, might be a start for whatever you have planned. We are cleaning up around here, I would let it go for a song if you came over and took it away...

Thanks for the offer, but that is a wee bit smaller in width than I'm looking. Dan and I are gathering the parts for a full launch trailer. I plan to make it sturdy enough to launch 300# off of it if we wish.

When searching for a bit of tower, we found that our local "Guitar Center" could get us an aluminum truss used for stage lighting.
Best part was their price included shipping to their store....which is a major cost saver.
Worth checking out.

When searching for a bit of tower, we found that our local "Guitar Center" could get us an aluminum truss used for stage lighting.
Best part was their price included shipping to their store....which is a major cost saver.
Worth checking out.

The part number for the 3.0 meter (9.84') aluminum F33 Global Truss is TR-4081. It has individually welded side bracing. They also offer a cheaper F23 version (TR-96106) with a continuous bent aluminum rod for side bracing (similar to the galvanized Rohn truss). They are pretty pricey at retail, although you can shop around and find big discounts online. And yes, shipping is also pretty horrendous for these oversize items. Wood & Brasswind (another music store) also offers free shipping, but to your door. (Mine came today.)

https://www.wwbw.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=global

Note added - aluminum is lighter (think mobility) and resists corrosion (especially in our use), but way more expensive. Galvanized sections are heavier (in transport AND in use), and will eventually rust (relatively quickly with corrosive exhaust gases), but are essentially free with a little searching.

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 11.19.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 11.19.33 AM.png

IMG_1344.jpg

Last edited:
Try calling Wildman... I know he had two 12ft sections with Unistrut already attached that he was looking to get rid of. Definitely give him a ring!

I have a brand new 2 meter section of 12" Global Truss that I am not going to be using and plan on selling.

It was. Three 20 foot sections. I'll only be using one section.

Back