You know what looks like aluminum? Aluminum!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
I'm working on this Equinox build (which is a fun return to LPR) ... Chris Michielssen (on the modelrocketbuilding blog) pointed out that the mylar ring is kind of an eyesore (this is a minimum-diameter rocket, so the mylar ring for the motor hook is exposed). His solution was to replace it with card stock, which looks good; I had another idea: What if I wrapped it with aluminum foil and CA'd it on? If I hid the seam, I think it could look like an aluminum component, which - on this kit - I think would look pretty cool....thoughts?

What about just using aluminum foil tape? Sounds easier (although not trivial; getting foil tape to lay down perfectly flat can be an adventure).

What about just using aluminum foil tape? Sounds easier (although not trivial; getting foil tape to lay down perfectly flat can be an adventure).

Mostly I was thinking foil because I have it on hand. Also this is a fairly small kit; I think the foil tape is quite a bit thicker than kitchen foil; I'd be worried about shifting the CG back.

I think aluminum foil + CA will look pretty cool. Results to come ;)

Mostly I was thinking foil because I have it on hand. Also this is a fairly small kit; I think the foil tape is quite a bit thicker than kitchen foil; I'd be worried about shifting the CG back.

I think aluminum foil + CA will look pretty cool. Results to come ;)
I always keep the aluminum tape around for my ducts and just assume that everyone does. :)

The foil tape is indeed thicker than kitchen foil but there are different weights of it and I'd think the lighter stuff wouldn't weigh too much unless you're using a lot of it. I've used it to wrap the motor hook to my motor mount tube because it's heat-resistant (sometimes I use electrical tape... depends on my mood).

All that said... yes, a kitchen foil wrap should look really good. Look forward to the pics.

FWIW, I used aluminum foil tape to wrap the cone and upper tube of my Black Brant III, since I wasn't happy with the results of aluminum-look paint:
IMG_7585.jpgIMG_7586.jpgIMG_7591b.jpg

Yes, it adds a little weight and requires some care to apply. But it looks good and has the added bonus of really reflecting in the sun on the way down.

FWIW, I used aluminum foil tape to wrap the cone and upper tube of my Black Brant III, since I wasn't happy with the results of aluminum-look paint.

Yes, it adds a little weight and requires some care to apply. But it looks good and has the added bonus of really reflecting in the sun on the way down.

Well, a bit of extra weight at the nose isn't a problem generally. Would like to know your technique for wrapping the nose; looks like it came out really smooth, don't think I could have managed that. Where's the seam?

The technique is very high tech and sophisticated. In fact, I'm not sure I can safely disclose it. OK, actually, I basically rubbed it with my thumbs...

The cone had the advantage of being actually conical. So, I used Rocksim to print out a pattern for the wrap as a transition, which worked since the diameter at the tip was about .080" and not needle sharp. I transferred that to the tape (which required pretty wide tape) and marked the center of the bottom arc. I reasoned that if I made sure that the wrap was centered at a point on the bottom and I worked the foil up to the tip at the top, it pretty much had to be aligned straight. And I started in the middle and smoothed it with my thumbs as I went. The foil is soft enough to be pretty malleable, and will mostly smooth out if rubbed, barring any hard creases. Once I had the center on, I worked to one side and the other, like you might with vinyl and it came together accordingly. The seem runs aline from the tip down to the base of the cone, and I didn't have quite enough material (due to cutting error) for it to come back together at the bottom. But, since the cone had previously been smoothed and painted silver, its not real noticeable. I line that up with the rail guides.

It really went much easier than I was prepared for. With that said, I think that doing this on an ogive cone would be a lot more challenging - the foil isn't likely to stretch and comply in two directions at once like you might with vinyl.

The technique is very high tech and sophisticated. In fact, I'm not sure I can safely disclose it. OK, actually, I basically rubbed it with my thumbs...

Your secret is safe with me. :)

It really went much easier than I was prepared for. With that said, I think that doing this on an ogive cone would be a lot more challenging - the foil isn't likely to stretch and comply in two directions at once like you might with vinyl.

I actually think doing an ogive with one piece might be impossible, but you never know. Maybe split it into a few rings, like making a paper NC. In any case, no one's actually trying to do an ogive right now so we don't have to worry about it. :)

Latest posts

Back