TRF Summer Build Off: Space Needle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem with tractor motors on this one, already mind simmed the design. Three D12's up front, CHAD staged to a D12 on the saucer section, saucer separation just like on the freaking Enterprise. Saucer ejection charge pop locks tripod landing gear and deploys chute for perfect, Rube Goldberg style, thee point saucer landing, just like in the movies. Support gantry tower rear ejects on a D12 and comes down nice and soft, landing upside down on a nicely cooled three motor cluster. To top if off the windows on the saucer are transparent. Look inside to see a scale reproduction of the 1960's lounge, complete with little green men drinking pousse cafe's! I just realized the Pad Fuhrer was right in thinking my Jack in the box entry is nothing more than a dangerous, fire starting abomination, not worthy of a pad assignment. Like the model rocket contest on American Dad, all is lost.:cry::cry::cry:

Rodger.jpg

American Dad.jpg

When I posted to this thread this morning, I was actually gonna mention putting tractor motors up there in the saucer... but then I thought for sure Daddyisabar would be along any minute to handle that end of the conversation. As the day moved along I started to get nervous... was Daddyisabar OK? Was he boycotting this thread? Had he given up tractor motors and switched to doing nothing but Alpha upscales?

Well it took 8 hours but I guess I needn't have worried. :grin:

Sorry for the delay, it was just that darn thing called work getting in the way!

Yes, only upscaled Alphas from now on!

Last edited:
When I get a chance I will post the drawings I've done for the Space Needle.

For stability I chose to fly mine upside down... :). Stability is less of an issue this way...

Also, I used our BT-2 tubing for the supports. Very kewl and flew well.

Point of information: the SHAPE of the Space Needle building is Trademarked, and the holder is very aggressive in protecting the trademark. I was going to put my design into production and was shut down quickly. Neither were they interested in licensing it...

Fwiw
Jim

Anyone flying the Space Needle as a model rocket needs to seek help from a professional! Just call in on the oddroc hotline!:)

Fraiser.jpg

Hive-mind-sim, activated :) If you don't want a lot of thrust at it's nether region, one could stuff a properly delayed motor up into the tube, add a quasi-legal metal liner (actually a retainer) to protect the tube and let Mr. Krushnik control that unwanted thrust.

Now, I'm just not helping...

The one constant through out the years Ray, has been THRUST, TRUST IN THRUST RAY!

[video=youtube;7SB16il97yw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SB16il97yw[/video]

Regarding "less evil" methods ;), looking over the pic of the needle, it may be possible to do it with fins for the lower supports and a larger disc on the lower portion...that may move the CP back far enough (so says mindsim). It may be possible to do it as a sort of spool/3FNC hybrid, but that has to be investigated/tested...a ring fin forward and lots of nose weight may be easier.

space-needle.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding "less evil" methods ;), looking over the pic of the needle, it may be possible to do it with fins for the lower supports and a larger disc on the lower portion...that may move the CP back far enough (so says mindsim). It may be possible to do it as a sort of spool/3FNC hybrid, but that has to be investigated/tested...a ring fin forward and lots of nose weight may be easier.

space-needle.jpg

With all the motor weight in back and the resultant instability from pushing the oddly shaped oddroc in front of it, putting motors in the back of this thing is EVIL!

evilrocket_s.jpg

Sorry, I forgot, tradition and common sense mandate all motors in back, it is always a good thing!:rolleyes:

Big Boy in orbit.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry again. Didn't want to make it out that traditional, rear motored rockets are not the bee's knees or in some way evil. So here are a few more jabs at tractor motors for your enjoyment:

All this collective tractor motor mindsiming over the internet is indeed something we can use!

borg queen.jpgborg_queen_t.jpg

You will use tractor motors, look, Jean-leuc Picard and Data will use them as well!

Borg Queen JL.jpgBorg Queen-Data.jpg

Use four dimensional tractor motors. Quit thinking so three dimensionally; 3FNC!

RSO resistance is FUTILE!

Last edited:
Well, this area is a very tricky one and I haven't quite figured out the right way to get something like this stable yet. From what I figure/guess: Pie In the Sky type (PITS) rockets can work due to the very large frontal surface area and I believe base drag (front flat face combined with vacuum in the back helps to stabilize). Spool rockets work since they also add the rear disc which further helps to stabilize in the same way...when the bottom gets off-vertical, more of the rear disc is in the airstream causing drag and pushing that side back in-line. The problem is when you do something like the PITS and then extend the rear...the CG ends up too far back and you have issues with stability.

Just brainstorming, but perhaps the "easiest" way would be making the saucer a weighted ring and possibly adding large clear fins on the bottom. I haven't done such, so I really can't say whether it would work.

If you don't care about altitude, you can add a large disc base...almost like landscaped base and that combined with a ring or disc up forward should get the first part up safely and behave like a spool; however a flat base would be very, very draggy, so you won't go high (then again, neither do saucers). Come to think of it, this version can be similar in some ways to the staged spool rocket Squirrel is working on, but with a cool new twist. I don't know if anyone's tried a stretched spool, so maybe some small scale tests would be in order. A larger base disc may be all that is needed.

Check this one out: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?57685-Soccer-Field-Build-Thread

Hopefully we haven't scared to OP away with all the zaniness. I did some rough proportional sketches using tractor motors to CHAD stage the saucer and instead of the patented, iconic shape of the Space Needle, I got something that looked more like a spaced out douche bag.

stewie.jpg

"Oh now come on Daddy, don't tell me your imbecilic, black powder tractor motors don't work every time, or that good looks are not the most important factor in any build. What are you running your mindsim on now? Upgraded to Windows 95 yet? When will you ever learn that CHeap And Dirty is no substitute for composite motors, advanced electronics and exotic composite materials. Not man enough to stack two G 80s are you! Get out of the trash can and the back end of Hobby Lobby for your building materials. Make the Great Leap into the 21st Century. Hey Mr. Beerbelly, Beerbelly, if you don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard I suggest you bone up on your rocket science. And don't use my image again in any sort of demeaning fashion!"

OMG, Stewie is so mean and he is just a baby!:cry::cry::cry:

Hey d11rok,

Did you sign into the contest thread?

It notes there:
"This is the thread to let us know that you are entering the "My Own Design Summer Build Off Contest."
Let us know who you are and post a link to your build thread."

Also of note is it mentions "All rockets must have at least one flight completed by AUGUST 29TH (this is 1 week before Labor Day, allows time for the poll to be put together). Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.)". Date kind of snuck up on me since I thought I had more time. :p

Just thought I'd mention it since you've listed this as a TRF Summer Build Off.

OK, here's another zany way to do it: extend the legs inward so that the inner edges describe a constsnt diameter virtual tube, and make the booster a rack rocket. Puts the CG forward, and adds a new oddball component.

OK, here's another zany way to do it: extend the legs inward so that the inner edges describe a constsnt diameter virtual tube, and make the booster a rack rocket. Puts the CG forward, and adds a new oddball component.

Yes, and fix the engine at the top of the rack and gap-stage it to the saucer up top. Contest winner! :)

Yes, and fix the engine at the top of the rack and gap-stage it to the saucer up top. Contest winner! :)

Time to create a new persona on TRF and re-enter the contest as CrazySpaceNeedleFlyingGuy. It would be hard to lift initially on one D12, but a cluster booster to a rack where the top is a saucer would be awesome.

The only way to satisfy the feeding frenzy is to build a whole fleet of these ASAP.

Yep, it looks like screaming away for the OP. Come to get some decent, sound advice and end up hearing of everything you should probably stay away from; canted & staged tractor motors, rack rockets, rear ejection, clustered boosters CHAD staged, staged composites, foil linings, mindsiming and more. You don't have to listen to this Motley Crew.

That's too bad, this would have been fun without all that stuff. And the OP would sleep better than I did last Friday :)

Back