Loc Mother Lode for LDRS 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have a special ground crew to hepl prep Big Polish Mother. Most old timers will remember the man Ross. He will come if he feels up to it. he is not in perfect health but will try to come to LDRS

I may have a special ground crew to hepl prep Big Polish Mother. Most old timers will remember the man Ross. He will come if he feels up to it. he is not in perfect health but will try to come to LDRS

As in Ross Of Magnum?

Have you thought about laminating the motor tubes, and possibly laminating around all motor tunes to lock them together?

Laminate the motor mount tubes with fiberglass and epoxy. Then, I was thinking that you could wrap the three motor mount tubes with a few layers of glass to strengthen the entire assembly.

Then it stops looking like the original with three distinct MM tubes.

I may be wrong, but my understanding from Al's described failure mode of his King Viper, it isn't the separation of the tri-tube structure or compression failure of the tubes themselves. Both these failure modes would benefit from lamination. But instead the failure mode he described was a "punch through" of the fore end of the tube assembly through the dual centering rings located at the aft end of the main body. It is that junction that needs the reinforcement.

For the uneducated, a Mother Lode is a 7.5" behemoth utilizing 90" of airframe with three 75mm tubes in a triangle configuration sticking out the back. Each of those have a 54mm motor mount.

That's a big mother... uh... lode.

I am planning on using Phlexable Phenolic for the motor tubes and the section of body tube that the motor rings are in just to strengthen the area with the most stress. Just in case I want to go wacko and try L1000'S or some thing else like that on a future flight.

Then it stops looking like the original with three distinct MM tubes.

Yes, that is true, but it would be stronger. I am very much about function over form.

I have a still in the package 429 SS Loc, and this is what I am planning on doing when I get around to it.

Jim, Bob, Al (kinda reminds me of the names from the Waltons),

How's progress? Patiently awaiting photos, updates, etc. Still on track for LDRS in spring???

How much of the 3" motor tubes is exposed below the BT-7.51? 30", more????

Thanks and looking forward to watching progress!

-Eric-

Jim, Bob, Al (kinda reminds me of the names from the Waltons),

How's progress? Patiently awaiting photos, updates, etc. Still on track for LDRS in spring???

How much of the 3" motor tubes is exposed below the BT-7.51? 30", more????

Thanks and looking forward to watching progress!

-Eric-

Laying on top of the paint booth. I expect to start over Xmas.

Al, I'd love to see a successful flight of that project. LDRS would be a great time to show off.

I built a new King Viper, but never had the guts to do the 3 X K550-ish again and keep to mid level I's. I plan on having it done. Feel like whipping up 3 x 54mm 1200NS loads in that nice white of yours? I'll buy the chemicals.

Al, I'd love to see a successful flight of that project. LDRS would be a great time to show off.
Sorry for the off topic post:

Rob - I tried replying to you but you have PM's turned off.

Latest posts

Back