Self Defense

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Actually, they are all changeable. All you need is another amendment. Not just for a small group of people to decide they don't like it anymore.

Sarcasm, apparently, does not present well...
As for repealing the second amendment, no one with any sense is proposing that... I certainly wouldn't sign on to it. Just some common sense changes to arms regulations. Like universal background checks for gun sales. Supported by 80%+ of Americans yet rejected by Congress because, you know, NRA and big business gun manufacturers.
They said for 8 years that Obama was taking guns away. He didn't. He never proposed it. But they certainly sold record numbers of firearms to millions of suckers...
Again, I'm saying, if my wife would let me spend the money, I'd have a few guns myself. They're hella fun...

Sarcasm, apparently, does not present well...
As for repealing the second amendment, no one with any sense is proposing that... I certainly wouldn't sign on to it. Just some common sense changes to arms regulations. Like universal background checks for gun sales. Supported by 80%+ of Americans yet rejected by Congress because, you know, NRA and big business gun manufacturers.
They said for 8 years that Obama was taking guns away. He didn't. He never proposed it. But they certainly sold record numbers of firearms to millions of suckers...
Again, I'm saying, if my wife would let me spend the money, I'd have a few guns myself. They're hella fun...

Interesting point. A conspiracy theorist would argue that the NRA likes having Obama in the White House. NPR recently reported metrics of record gun sales in the past few years in certain categories and followed that with a metric on the #1 driver of weapons purchases is fear - specifically the fear that one would lose the right to purchase/own said weapon.

S Just some common sense changes to arms regulations. Like universal background checks for gun sales. Supported by 80%+ of Americans yet rejected by Congress because, you know, NRA and big business gun manufacturers.

The problem is background checks don't do anything useful. The people who have committed mass shooting have passed background checks (often multiple), and criminals are going to buy guns from people who aren't going to run checks, no matter what law or regulation is in place.

I'm glad when Congress doesn't do anything. The fewer laws, the better. Now if we can get a handle on the un-elected and unaccountable bureaucracy that makes the vast bulk of the regulations we unknowingly (in most cases) violate every day.

NRA doesn't have a lot of big business backing, they're all supported mostly by individuals like us. Most gun manufacturers are pretty small too.

NRA doesn't have a lot of big business backing, they're all supported mostly by individuals like us. Most gun manufacturers are pretty small too.

Check your numbers... 90% of the NRA political activity is funded by the gun manufacturer lobby. I take other gun groups a lot more seriously because they're actually advocating for gun owners instead of gun makers... NRA is a front for people trying to make money in an industry. They use their members instead of the other way around. Just a cursory look into their financing and activities reveals their true intent. There are a number of other gun ownership groups that are lead by their members, and those are the ones that I listen to and give credence to... just saying, a little research goes a long way to keep oneself from being a pawn.

What exactly are these "common sense gun controls" of which you speak. The Orlando shooter was employed as a security guard and passed all the government required background checks with flying colors. At least one of the two gun stores he visited prior to his rampage called the FBI to report his suspicious behavior but the FBI failed to do a proper followup investigation. He had been on a "watch list" but was not considered a threat. Looks like another case of "We recognize no problem...therefore there is none."

Disarming potential victims by passing more unenforced and unenforceable laws will do nothing to make people safer, but it will embolden criminals and madmen. If it's such a good idea, why don't law enforcement agencies give up their guns?

Last edited:
Disarming potential victims by passing more unenforced and unenforceable laws will do nothing to make people safer, but it will embolden criminals and madmen. If it's such a good idea, why don't law enforcement agencies give up their guns?

Wait, wait, wait...
Maybe you didn't read any of my posts...
Who said anything about "disarming potential victims"?
Did I? Nope.
Did anyone else? Nope.
But the NRA sure has you convinced, huh?
Thanks for making my actual point quite clear! 😃

What exactly are these "common sense gun controls" of which you speak. The Orlando shooter was employed as a security guard and passed all the government required background checks with flying colors. At least one of the two gun stores he visited prior to his rampage called the FBI to report his suspicious behavior but the FBI failed to do a proper followup investigation. He had been on a "watch list" but was not considered a threat. Looks like another case of "We recognize no problem...therefore there is none."

Oh, and background checks WOULD stop most of the other gun crimes/deaths on a daily basis. Can't stop line wolf crazies, but maybe we could do something basic and simple to stop the 16 year old kids in hometown from getting find and shooting up my neighborhood everyday. You know, the other 10,000 gun deaths that occur on the USA every year?

Finally, Cthulhu follows no laws, so all laws are ultimately pointless and line wolf nutzos at my launch site stand no chance of surviving the onslaught of netherworld demons i can call forth to defend my brethren at the blink of an eye. All those who stand against me and my ilk should fear the rise of my hellspawn.
Oh, speaking of which... new rocket to be named HellSpawn.
I keep forgetting this is a rocketry forum and not a forum for people to spew their personal politics... silly me.

Wait, wait, wait...
Maybe you didn't read any of my posts...
Who said anything about "disarming potential victims"?
Did I? Nope.
Did anyone else? Nope.
But the NRA sure has you convinced, huh?
Thanks for making my actual point quite clear! ��

I always read all of your posts, twice, at least, in order to extract some meaning. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

Actually, the NRA (not to be confused with the NAR) is a lobbying organization and according to what I've read, the oldest civil rights organization in the United States. In that regard, they are not unlike the ACLU. They are staunch defenders of the Second amendment and I am a Life Member. The NRA hasn't convinced me of anything but has confirmed what I have read elsewhere such as the writings of Thomas Jefferson, the District of Columbia v. Heller decision, John Lott, David T. Hardy, Sir William Blackstone and others to numerous to mention.

Tell me young man, what is the meaning and purpose of the Second amendment to the United States Constitution?

Honestly, I think this thread has run its course. The last few posts are going political in my opinion.

Honestly, I think this thread has run its course. The last few posts are going political in my opinion.

Yeah, and now people are resorting to personal attacks, feigning of indignation and juvenile attempts at humor. All pertinent points have now been made so lock it up boys! :kill:

How many people know and take to heart what to do if your clothing catches on fire?
Stop, drop, (cover your face with your hands) and roll. Running will allow the flames to go up to your face and allow for lung damage.

Or where to go if a tornado is approaching
Tough one...seek shelter if you have a good one (ex. storm shelter or good basement...not a trailer home!). Possibly evac if authorities tell you to; however if it's close, you should leave your car and seek shelter. If you're in a tornado zone, do your research and also be sure to listen to authorities.

or we find ourselves caught in a flood?
Assuming a flash flood and you're not home...head for high ground. Don't cross flooded roads.

Good for you KenECoyote! It's amazing how many adults either don't know or don't pay heed to these simple pieces of good advice. Down in Texas there is a great public safety slogan about flash flooding and automobiles:

TURN AROUND, DON'T DROWN!

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...-fatally-shooting-daughters-article-1.2687929

Texas mother, a vocal gun rights advocate, killed by police

"It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away," Sheats wrote in March on her Facebook page, "but that's exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns."

The woman killed by police after she fatally shot her two daughters at their Texas home was identified as an outspoken gun advocate.

Christy Sheats, 42, shot and killed her two young daughters, Taylor, 22, and Madison Sheats, 17, on what neighbors said was their father’s birthday, according to local reports. A family spat started inside the married couple’s Houston-area home and spiraled into gun violence that spilled out onto their street.

“It was a family argument that turned into a shooting,” Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls told the Houston Chronicle. “But we’re still trying to put the pieces together.”

A witness said the sisters tried escaping with their father, but Taylor collapsed outside the home and Madison was shot in the back, KTRK-TV reported.

Jason Sheats managed to flee unscathed and called police from a neighbor’s home.

Jason and Christy Sheats recently reunited after separating, a neighbor told the TV station.

Police records revealed that deputies had been called multiple times in the past to the family’s home, located west of Houston in an unincorporated area near Fulshear, Texas.

"But as to why we were called here, I don’t know,” Nehls said.

Sheats’ husband was not harmed in the shooting, but he was taken to a hospital because he was so emotionally distraught.

“He’s going through a very difficult time,” Nehls said.

First responders led the distraught father away from the home after the 5 p.m. incident Friday in the family's middle class neighborhood. A 911 caller said shots had been fired.

When Fulshear police arrived to the scene, the two daughters were lying on the street in front of the home, the Chronicle reported.

Cops then shot and killed Christy Sheats, who was holding a pistol and refused to drop it.

"That armed shooter was also in the street and, after refusing to drop her weapon was shot and killed by a Fulshear officer," the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office said.

Taylor died at the scene and her teenage sister, Madison, was airlifted to the Texas Medical Center, where she couldn’t be saved.

According to Christy Sheats Facebook page, she was a gun owner and vocal advocate for the second amendment.

A witness said the sisters tried escaping the home with their father, but Taylor collapsed outside and Madison was shot in the back. (ABC 13)

How about the ones that Reagan suggested:

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html

And no, it isn't a slippery slope.

Were it not for the fact that the secret service agents were armed with guns and paying attention, president Reagan and others might have been killed during this incident. The rest of us must rely on our own resources and the Second amendment. The police can't be everywhere unless we are prepared to replace the "free state" as spelled out in the Second amendment with a police state.

I believe most of what Reagan proposed was either in place at the time of the assassination attempt or has been implemented in one form or another since, yet the criminally insane are free to roam the streets and prey upon the law abiding until someone with a gun shows up.

So again I must ask: What new law/s could have stopped these atrocities which were committed by lawbreakers?

When I was studying Criminal Law at UTA in the 70's, the "Saturday Night Special" law was passed. All my instructors/professors were adamantly against it. It basically banned all cheap (quality & cost) pistols. What they said was that the unintended consequence was that the criminals would now have to acquire (mostly by stealing) high quality firearms, which are more deadly than the cheap imports that were inaccurate, unreliable and dangerous to the user.

You gotta realize that in a lot of countries gun control laws aren't passed to reduce crime (although a lot of people think that). I have recently realized it's a lot more about the false sense of security it creates, and I think for a lot of governments that is very valuable. I mean why do we put up with all the stupid checks and stuff at airports by TSA who is known to be incompetent, and that 90% of all weapons that are smuggled in makes it (based on an audit I might add)? Because if people felt that flying was dangerous no one would fly, and so the false sense of security was actually necessary.

Correctamundo.

The National Shooting Sports Federation (NSSF) is the organization that the so-called "Gun Lobby" i.e. firearms manufacturers belong to. Every time the gun control afficionados represent the NRA as the "Gun Lobby", they demonstrate their lack of knowledge on the subject and leave themselves open to ridicule...as in the "shoulder thing that goes up".

Anyone who is already an Endowment Life Member of the NRA currently has an opportunity to upgrade to Patron Life for $300. A basic annual menbership is available for only $25 at this time. Offers are good the the end of July.

Shooting sports are similar to rocketry in that they also convert money to smoke very efficiently.

Quite eloquent and informative. I tell people opposed to the NRA to join and find out for themselves. There's nothing worse than taking a stance against something when you are totally ignorant of that which you are opposed.

Correctamundo.

The National Shooting Sports Federation (NSSF) is the organization that the so-called "Gun Lobby" i.e. firearms manufacturers belong to. Every time the gun control afficionados represent the NRA as the "Gun Lobby", they demonstrate their lack of knowledge on the subject and leave themselves open to ridicule...as in the "shoulder thing that goes up".

Anyone who is already an Endowment Life Member of the NRA currently has an opportunity to upgrade to Patron Life for $300. A basic annual menbership is available for only $25 at this time. Offers are good the the end of July.

Shooting sports are similar to rocketry in that they also convert money to smoke very efficiently.

Organizations like Everytown (whose slogan says to "get guns out of the hand of domestic abusers") seems to think that if an abuse victim has a gun his/her chance of death is 5 times more... I'm not sure how that works but what are they suggesting the abuse victim to do? Lie down and take the beating and hope it won't result in death? By the way that organization is backed by people like Bloomberg, who bankrolls just about every gun control organization... I won't even try to speculate why he'd do that. Rest assured he wouldn't want the common people to be armed.

I actually mentioned that an abuse victim has the right to own a gun for defense and gun controller basically said that them having a gun puts them at greater risk. No idea why but I guess using government force to take guns from domestic abuser is a lot more effective than to arm abuse victims.

Were it not for the fact that the secret service agents were armed with guns and paying attention, president Reagan and others might have been killed during this incident. The rest of us must rely on our own resources and the Second amendment. The police can't be everywhere unless we are prepared to replace the "free state" as spelled out in the Second amendment with a police state.

I believe most of what Reagan proposed was either in place at the time of the assassination attempt or has been implemented in one form or another since, yet the criminally insane are free to roam the streets and prey upon the law abiding until someone with a gun shows up.

So again I must ask: What new law/s could have stopped these atrocities which were committed by lawbreakers?

Brady was standing beside Reagan when they were both shot. The Brady bill was enacted in 93, and Reagan supported it. It required a 5 waiting period, background checks, and a couple of other bits I can't remember.

You're either not recognizing or choosing to ignore the main point, which is that guns like an AR-15 make people more lethal. A more lethal nutcase kills more people before there is a reaction to stop him. A pump action shotgun and a 30-30 are both great hunting weapons but less lethal than an AR-15 in terms of number of deaths per second.

Regarding the mental health argument, if the gubermunt was really going to do something to reduce mass shootings through mental health they'd need a psych test on EVERYONE. There'd be a file on every one of us saying '7 percent chance he'll go postal at some point', '12 percent chance he'll kill his family then off himself', '27 percent chance he'll eat his gun'. Then who decides where to draw the line on who gets to purchase what firearms? If an error has been made, how do you challenge? To actually do anything meaningful they'd need to go completely Orwellian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back