Estes Star Orbiter #9716

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rdunn is building one right now. He opted to cut new fins from bass wood. I think he may be almost to primer. You have to watch him. Took him like a year to build a Vagabond. And he still hasn't flown it.

I think upgrading to the bass wood will make a huge difference for higher motors. Especially since we have a field large enough for it.

Well I get to build another or do some extensive repairs. Had an E16-6 CATO today. The result is not pretty..... *sigh*
EDIT: Oops, initially asked for date code but this is the same CATO you mentioned in another post. Motor date you gave is 04 15 13.

Last edited:
Well I get to build another or do some extensive repairs. Had an E16-6 CATO today. The result is not pretty..... *sigh*
Photos of aftermaths are always appreciated by me to get an idea of the failure hazard.

IMG_2192.jpgHere is a rough idea.

What you can't see is that the stage coupler that formed the bottom of the payload section (I turned the top few inches into one) was shattered as well.

IMG_0282.jpg

Oh, no! At least they're cheap at Hobby Lobby.

I have a spare on hand, and another is on its way from Estes. It is simple and elegant and flies nicely. I definitely want to replace it.

I may consider basswood fins as Kruegon mentions above because the TCR sod farm site is big enough to go higher than the 2000 feet the Star Orbiter goes on an F26-9 especially if one uses a Chute Release. But quick sims push it to sonic speeds on even a baby G. This F26FJ flight got to almost 350 mph.

Last edited:
The Star Orbiter had two more flights this past weekend.
Both were on CTI F57 Classic and reached an altitude of 2724 feet (837 meters) and 2718 feet (828 meters) respectively.
[YOUTUBE]yPEEPmfB_r4[/YOUTUBE]

I must say, this is one of my favorite threads on this board. Excellent build thread of an excellent rocket with lots of great info, pretty pictures, and video. Thanks and kudos!

Fabulous build. I think I have read it 3 times now.

What at are your thoughts about using a g25 moon burner in it?

View attachment 312554

I have a spare on hand, and another is on its way from Estes. It is simple and elegant and flies nicely. I definitely want to replace it.

I may consider basswood fins as Kruegon mentions above because the TCR sod farm site is big enough to go higher than the 2000 feet the Star Orbiter goes on an F26-9 especially if one uses a Chute Release. But quick sims push it to sonic speeds on even a baby G. This F26FJ flight got to almost 350 mph.

Try CTI G33 Mellow if you have access to it... It's a full G but typically doesn't build up a lot of speed during the 4.4 second burn.

I must say, this is one of my favorite threads on this board. Excellent build thread of an excellent rocket with lots of great info, pretty pictures, and video. Thanks and kudos!

I'm happy you are enjoying the thread.

Fabulous build. I think I have read it 3 times now.

What at are your thoughts about using a g25 moon burner in it?

That should work fine. The only concern I'd have is to only fly in calm conditions since it's a long slow burner (susceptible to weather coking) and should easily fly over 3000 feet.

View attachment 311510

My real world data using the F15-8 in a Star Orbiter carrying an AltimeterThree and a Chute Release has it ejecting about 1 second after apogee....which to me is just about perfect. This is typical for the three flights I have on it on F15-8s (and is why I'm waiting for my local H-L to get F15-8s back in).

I also have two flights to just over 2000 feet on Aerotech F26-9s. There the delay is almost perfect - just a fraction of a second past apogee for deployment. In one case it fell all of two feet after apogee before deployment.

Maybe it would slow down more without the added ounce and a half of payload (plus what I did to make the top few inches a payload compartment).

The instructions tell you have to make a tape thrust ring....I did find the lack of motor block interesting myself, but that opens up other possibilities as long as one stays reasonable (and away from transonic speeds :eek: )

Hi Bernard,
I'm going to build one of these as well to use both the Altimeter 3 and the Jolly logic Chute release... May I ask you how you rigged the altimeter and the chute release for your Star Orbiter?
Did you build a separate bay for the Altimeter?
Any ideas or suggestions will help!

Thanks!
Franz in NJ

Hi Bernard,
I'm going to build one of these as well to use both the Altimeter 3 and the Jolly logic Chute release... May I ask you how you rigged the altimeter and the chute release for your Star Orbiter?

Thanks!
Franz in NJ

Im not BEC, but no special arrangements are needed as far as AV-Bays are concerned, typically my JL3 and JLCR fly together I simply wrap the JL3 into the chute bundle, then put the JLCR around it all making sure the chute bundle slides freely into and out of the airframe, the BT60 airframe is a tight fit for the JLCR setup.

Thanks Rich,
I was thinking just for schmidts & giggles of making a small nose cone bay (like Leo did) to house the JL3 to keep it from just jangling around with the chute release pack....I'm also thinking about a streamer about a third of the way down the kevlar cord to the main body to act as a drogue of sorts until the JLCR deploys the chute...Does that sound like it would work ok? I would be trying a more traditional dual deployment system like the OP, but I live in NJ, which is really a "nanny-state" when it comes to obtaining black powder to make a traditional deployment charge.... I would have to apply for a firearms purchasing permit to correctly/legally obtain the black powder, hence my interest in the JLCR!

Thanks for the information!

Cheers,
Franz in NJ

Thanks Rich,
I was thinking just for schmidts & giggles of making a small nose cone bay (like Leo did) to house the JL3 to keep it from just jangling around with the chute release pack....I'm also thinking about a streamer about a third of the way down the kevlar cord to the main body to act as a drogue of sorts until the JLCR deploys the chute...Does that sound like it would work ok? I would be trying a more traditional dual deployment system like the OP, but I live in NJ, which is really a "nanny-state" when it comes to obtaining black powder to make a traditional deployment charge.... I would have to apply for a firearms purchasing permit to correctly/legally obtain the black powder, hence my interest in the JLCR!

Thanks for the information!

Cheers,
Franz in NJ

You could use a streamer for visibility if you want too, and a nosecone avbay is Ok too, most anything goes as far as mods to the rocket. Very few of my kits are built stock anymore.

Hi Bernard,

Thanks!
Franz in NJ

The Chute Release needs to be in with the 'chute, of course. The AltimeterThree can live there as well, but on all three Star Orbiters I've built I used a BT-60 coupler, a ply disk and a screw eye to create a payload compartment from the top six inches of the model. One or more altimeters can ride there easily.

I have been using the little protector "bag" that Dino Chutes (and JL) sell to protect the Chute Release a little bit (and make it more visible on the ground which helps when one forgets to tether it :eek: )

The Chute Release needs to be in with the 'chute, of course. The AltimeterThree can live there as well, but on all three Star Orbiters I've built I used a BT-60 coupler, a ply disk and a screw eye to create a payload compartment from the top six inches of the model. One or more altimeters can ride there easily.

I have been using the little protector "bag" that Dino Chutes (and JL) sell to protect the Chute Release a little bit (and make it more visible on the ground which helps when one forgets to tether it :eek: )

Thanks for the info., are there any online resources that would help me learn how to build a payload compartment?

Thanks again!

Franz in NJ

The Star Orbiter is one of my favorite rockets. Built mine using a lot of the same techniques seen in this thread. No ebay added to mine but it does use a JLCR.

4C13A079-6230-4764-92FF-567B78F1BE34.jpg

I've only launched it with F15-8's.

1F1E7F78-0207-420D-B4E2-E7A7007DA932.jpg

Ah, so you were the one flying the Star Orbiter at the WAC launch at Sixty Acres a week ago! Nice. The F15-8 is perfect for it.

I was too wrapped up with the TARC launches to get mine in the air....I did bring it.

Ah, so you were the one flying the Star Orbiter at the WAC launch at Sixty Acres a week ago! Nice. The F15-8 is perfect for it.

I was too wrapped up with the TARC launches to get mine in the air....I did bring it.

I was one of the guys... there was someone else who sent their Star Orbiter up quite a few times. I only sent mine up twice.

I just got one at Hobby Lobby for 14 Bucks with the coupon...looks like a real hot rod!

Thanks for the info., are there any online resources that would help me learn how to build a payload compartment?

Thanks again!

Franz in NJ

Here's my usual way to do it (illustrated by one I just did for an Estes Eliminator):

The parts you need are a stage coupler, a plywood disc which fits inside the coupler and a screw eye. Parts that will work in the Star Orbiter can be had at eRockets.biz and probably elsewhere (JT-60C, PB-60 and the screw eye)

Glue the disc into the coupler. I like to have it closer to one end of the coupler so that one can reach the eye of the screw eye once it's installed without too much hassle. Install and glue the screw eye.

Cut off the desired length of payload section - in this case it was four inches.

Glue the coupler assembly into one end of the new payload tube, leaving plenty of coupler exposed (I prefer about 2/3 of it) as this will be sliding into the top of the main body tube.

The nose cone goes on the other end of the payload tube (wrap shoulder with tape so it's a snug but removable fit) and the screw eye, of course, gets attached to the shock cord and recovery system.

If you're planning to fly altimeters in the payload section then put three or four static ports (small holes) in the payload tube according to the directions for your particular device.

The darkened area on the coupler is where I hardened it a bit with thin CA. Same thing on the inside of the body tube where it will go....adds a bit of durability and resistance to swelling from moisture (something we need to deal with flying in the winter and spring in the Pacific Northwest). This isn't as necessary if you use a fish-paper coupler (the dark grey ones) as they don't swell and stick as readily as these red Estes ones do.

IMG_9650.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9657.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bernard!

The description and pictures really help!

I'll let you know how it works out!

Franz in NJ

117 mm and yes, 1/8"" thick.

Edit: This for the Star Orbiter but now me thinks you're asking for the other rocket...

Back