Nomex

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to comment on the nice sewing Chuck but see you mention/likely have a serger. I think the specialized serge machine is needed to do the edges in that fashion. Prices are I think $200.00 on up. Kurt

I think I read somewhere on Vern Knowles site that he used 6oz nomex? Anyway, the 6oz that I've been using is holding up just fine (your fabric #13). The oldest one that I have has a little over 3 dozen ejections on it, and washes clean every time.

I bought a yard of Fabric #3, which is listed as 60% Nomex and 40% cotton. I also bought a yard of
PEWTER GREY NOMEX ® ARAMID KEVLAR ® FR 8OZ.TWILL FABRIC 61"W FIRE RETARDANT DWR The grey fabric is listed as 100% Nomex/Kevlar.

I made a couple of blankets with serged edges and button holes did a quick test with 1cc of BP. I also placed some scraps of 1.9 oz ripstop inside both to simulate a parachute. The charge well was about 1/2 to 1 inch away from the blanket.

Both fabrics had discoloration but no burning that I could detect.

Surprisingly, the grey fabric allowed soot/hot gasses through the blanket and the ripstop was discolored. I did not see any melting of the ripstop.

Fabric #3 did not allow for discoloration of the ripstop.

I received another fabric to test. Mixture of wool and nomex. Wool is naturally fire resistant. We will see how the mixture fares.

Chuck, have you tried wool felt or fabric? I'm wondering how effective a chute protector cut from an old pair of wool pants or a P-coat from the thrift store would work.

Hrmm, wool's stiff enough I wonder about a chute cup / squishy piston. Kevlar below, nylon above, would also likely have anti zipper properties.

Chuck, have you tried wool felt or fabric? I'm wondering how effective a chute protector cut from an old pair of wool pants or a P-coat from the thrift store would work.

I don't have the fabric test. I will keep an eye open.

Hrmm, wool's stiff enough I wonder about a chute cup / squishy piston. Kevlar below, nylon above, would also likely have anti zipper properties.

It is actually what some Air Force flight suits are made from.

Back