Who Used Chute Release for L1, L2, or L3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L1 May 2016
RW F75
3600 ft
4.4 lb
H112J
9 inch drouge
48 in main
CR @500 ft.
Eggfinder TRS

L2 June 2016
RW F75
5.8 LB
J350W
9in drouge
48 in main
Eggfinder TRS
6100 ft
CR @ 600

Rob, You use one channel of the TRS to blow at apogee and then the CR to unfurl the main down low? (Oh, and besides using the TRS to find the rocket if needed.) Kurt

Hi Kurt. I used motor eject with 9 sec delays. The 9in was attached to the nose amd the main was wrapped in nomex square with the shock cord going through it, the CR wrapped around the bundle, anchored to the nose cone.

Ill be getting my L1 (fingers crossed) on 13 AUG 16 if all goes well in a 4" Phoenix with JLA3 and a JLCR. Just hoping all goes well.

Hi Jeff,
FYI! At least 8+ people In SARA fly the chute release regularly.
Miles, Art, James, Randy to name a few who have flown the "Chute Release " on "H, I, J, K" motors that, I can recall.
A Great product and a game changer for the hobby.
Ken

Last edited:
I just ordered my CR last week as well as my Dino Chute CR protector and I am so looking forward to using it. I have far too many motors in my motor box that are inappropriate for my MPR based on the field and no trackers, this should lighten that load a bit.

Dual CRs, red & yellow Dino protectors ordered today. If it all works out this pair will go L1, L2, & L3.

Edit: looks like two different generations of protectors, red one has no tag, is a good bit looser, and the Velcro is a touch long. Should still work great for writing the altitudes on :)

Last edited:
Just received mine. Looks like a solid piece. Going to be bling for my Estes Partizon. Got some G74's, a DMS H135 and an I205. Rocksim likes it. Looking for the field in September.

Flawless L2 Cert today with the chute release.

[video=youtube;fCOs0tjVzpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCOs0tjVzpU[/video]

Last edited:
I got my L2 at Midwest Power 14 earlier this month. Rocket used was a LOC/Precision R2 / ARO (Stretched V2) 5.5" dia. kit, empty weight of 6 pounds 3 ounces. I used a 6" x 60" streamer for mostly visibility purposes, essentially drogueless. Motor was an Aerotech J270. My Altimeter 2 logged a top speed of 412MPH, and 3504' altitude. Chute release was set for 600', and the average decent speed was 25 MPH. Sucessful flight. On a subsequent flight I had my main deploy at apogee, giving a 11MPH descent rate.

Last edited:
At MWP 14 there were a lot of flights using the JLCR. I had 3 flights all used the JLCR. Largest chute I used it on was a Par50. All worked perfect.

Not my cert flight, I used the Chute Release on that as well, but this Punisher/H165R combo makes an excellent L1 combination when used with the JLCR:

[video=youtube;vD_BCKK7LW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_BCKK7LW0[/video]

Very nice to read all your posts...... I just got my Chute Release (havent even flown it yet), did test the heck out of it and it seems like a great product. Reading about these flights makes me excited to fly mine for the first time.

I try to congratulate folks when they get an L-cert and mention it on Facebook or the forum, but now that Chute Release isn't such a new thing anymore sometimes it's hard to tell if it was used in the flight.

If you used Chute Release in your cert flight, could you please holler out your details?

Rocket (with diameter and weight, if you know them)​
Motor​
Altitude (if you know it)​
And of course L1, L2, or L3​

I was prompted to do this when I heard someone L3'd with redundant Chute Releases at LDRS, which may have been a first.

Just saw this...

I received my L1 using a Chute Release back in May at DairyAire...

Rocket -- Madcow Cowabunga -- 4 inch diameter, about 2.5-3 lbs fully loaded
motor -- CTI H118
not sure about the altitude, just wanted to keep it simple on the cert flight

I have used my Chute Release three times on my L2 bird, a Polecat Aerospace Goblin 5.5" that weighs 122-125 ounces all up.

Flight #1 used a Fruity Chutes 48" classic ellipitcal chute and no drogue. The heavy fin can accelerated visibly before the main opened.

Flight #2 used a Fruity Chutes 18" drogue and the Fruity Chutes 48" main. The drogue was attached 2/3 between fin can and nose cone. The main was attached above nose cone on a 30" shock cord. The drogue deployed at apogee but the main never opened. A landing site inspection revealed the Chute Release had functioned correctly but shock cord between drogue and nose cone had wrapped itself around the main chute bundle and prevented the main bundle from opening.

Flight #3 I attached the 18" drogue above the nose cone on the 30" shock cord and attached the 48" main in the customary 2/3 position on the shock cord. The drogue deployed at apogee and the main deployed between 500-700' based on visual estimation. The main is pretty large as is the rocket so it looks much closer to the ground that it really is.

Previous flights on a 38mm Crayon rocket on large I motors flying drogueless all have been perfect.

I'm a little uncomfortable deploying the main below the drogue and nosecone so I may try the L2 again with a chute bag for the main and attach the drogue to the top of the bag by a short shock cord.

"Rocket Science...making everything else look easy since the 1957."

Used CR for L1 cert flight. 2.6 inch fg black Brandt. Perfect flight . Released at 500 ft. Have since gotten more daring with 300 ft releases.

Plan on using it for my cert 2 flight in the spring

HI John Beans!!! :D

Here is a picture of my Mother :y: (Sherryl Sager) at Midwest Power 14 on Saturday 11/5/2016. She flew her Wildman 2.6" Darkstar on a 38mm Aerotech DMS J425 motor.

The sim showed the stock 14 second delay to be just about perfect, so she didn't have to drill the delay, just install the ejection charge.

She used motor eject to push out the laundry (everything at apogee). She used a small 9" "drogue" chute. The 45" "Main" chute was wrapped in a Nomex blanket with the Jolly Logic Chute Release holding it tight until 500 feet.

It was pretty cool to see that big green parachute open right "on-cue" at 500' for a Picture-Perfect L2.

14955844_10205661253930903_3278512864583709906_n.jpg

Didn't cert on it, but I've used the JLCR on numerous L1 flights so far, always perfect release. Sadly I lost my original unit when the tether snapped clean apart - I found the rocket with the little red tether still tied to the shroud line, but two torn ends where the JLCR should have been. :( Not sure what happened, I make a point of checking it and it didn't seem frayed or anything preflight.

Didn't cert on it, but I've used the JLCR on numerous L1 flights so far, always perfect release. Sadly I lost my original unit when the tether snapped clean apart - I found the rocket with the little red tether still tied to the shroud line, but two torn ends where the JLCR should have been. :( Not sure what happened, I make a point of checking it and it didn't seem frayed or anything preflight.

I lost a JLCR also. I think the knotted tether comes loose in extreme cases. In my case, the chute deployed at motor burnout. The chute was OK and the shroud line the JLCR was attached to was fine, but the JLCR was gone.

I'll be ordering another, but I'm going to sew together a tubular Kevlar loop to use as a tether. I'm not going to trust the one supplied any longer.

Mine isn't lost; I know exactly where it is. It's hanging out the front of my Mammoth, together with one of my 29/40-120 cases. Most likely will be dead when / if it ever comes down, but unfortunately that's epoxy & kevlar holding it up there.

I try to congratulate folks when they get an L-cert and mention it on Facebook or the forum, but now that Chute Release isn't such a new thing anymore sometimes it's hard to tell if it was used in the flight.

If you used Chute Release in your cert flight, could you please holler out your details?

Rocket (with diameter and weight, if you know them)​
Motor​
Altitude (if you know it)​
And of course L1, L2, or L3​

I was prompted to do this when I heard someone L3'd with redundant Chute Releases at LDRS, which may have been a first.

Not an L2 flight John, but close for a 1 grain motor. We of course talked and/or emailed about this project which was designed from the beginning to use a chute release to make it dual event. I may in fact have to fly this with a J due to availability of CTI motors. Again thanks for all your help can't wait to see the next generation of JLCRs.
https://www.facebook.com/TheMarvinWrightRocket/posts/1242946265800375

I did my Level 2 Cert at Midwest Power Nov 8, 2016 in Princeton, IL, rocket was a PML 4” Tethys with a 12" extended payload bay, 61" tall, 4.5 lb, J270W DMS motor, and CR set at 500’. Sky was blue and flight was successful; with a 14 second delay on the DMS. Max altitude was 3829', CR performed flawlessly at 500 feet - almost exactly - per the Altimeter Three graph.I have found that packing the chute tightly with the lines folded deep within the chute is important. I also used the small rubber band on the 48" chute. The band must be very tight or the chute can pull open on its own and most likely tangle up.

FlightGraph.png

The band must be very tight or the chute can pull open on its own and most likely tangle up.

Yes it can and the bigger the chute the more problems it creates. To mitigate this problem I have developed a recovery device that has a lot of promise I'll post more about this later.

I didn't use it for my cert flight, but it did work wonderfully with my scratch build rocket that uses motor eject at 2500'. JL holds the main closed until 600'.

[video=youtube;qTPQwC54ZAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTPQwC54ZAM[/video]

[video=youtube;D5dMgisByfs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dMgisByfs[/video]

Back