Canadian Rocketry Clubs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Can we have a (fairly) complete list of Canadian Clubs?

NAR, CAR, MAAC, & Tripoli listing aren't all that inclusive, or are missing some 'basic' info..

I'm asking, because I know of one in Quebec, and one in Ottawa. Surely there's another between Montreal & Toronto! (Where I believe there is 3..) And it seems the closest club [to me] is actually in Champlain NY!

The Airdrie (Alberta) Space Science Club has been an active CAR club for seven years, and recently became the third Canadian NAR section #794.
Their focus is Model Rocketry, Astronomy , NASA activities and annual ABE (Airdrie Balloon Experiment) launches, this years was successfully flown this past weekend to just under 40 km's (131K feet).

Garth Illerbrun
CAR S04 L 3
NAR 26894 L2

NAPAS.NET is an active club unfortunately they do not have a listed launch site.
I do meet with some of their members In Geneseo New York where our club goes to launch high power.
We do have active launches at the Connaught Range, however we have a low altitude for high power due to the restricted airspace of the airport.
Teresa, Secretary Treasurer Ottawa Rocketry Group (since 2001) group started previously.
Our insurance is supplied by TRIPOLI for the launches and as a member.
https://ottawa-rocketry.org/ and we are now on Facebook as well we do have a yahoo croup -membership is controlled.

Please see:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocketry-clubs.html

You can search for clubs near a specified location.

-- Roger

Thanks Roger, but sadly, the list is a little out of date. The Rawdon club seems to have disappeared, and has the "Quebec" club listed as a 'USA' location! Not to mention that the Quebec's club's address may be in Montreal, but their filed is still a good drive away!.. And in all, there are only 2 "Canadian" clubs within reach, 1 of which flies regularly... All others are US. So, we either need more clubs, or we all seem to go fly down south!

(it's closer for me to go fly in Champlain NY than in Quebec!)

Just a quick note. I noticed that the CAR/ACF website listed the BCRC as an affiliated club and me as the contact. It hasn't been active for some time. I understand that the club assets are in the hands of another club. That's good news. I hope they can get some launches going in BC. I asked the CARWeb Webmaster to remove the BCRC from the website and he did.

The thought of starting a new club came up..

Wold there be a want / need for a new club? Somewhere between Montreal / Ottawa / Kingston?

Thoughts? Comments?

The thought of starting a new club came up..
Wold there be a want / need for a new club? Somewhere between Montreal / Ottawa / Kingston?
Thoughts? Comments?

You probably don't need to create a new club if you have a high power capable field. The region's flyers will flock to your field, especially if you are relatively close to Ottawa.

The field is relatively easy. it's the "other" stuff that makes it difficult..

If we Have the field.. Who files for the NOTAM / waiver? Who RSO / LSO the event? Who brings the launch equipment? How deeply does CAR need to be involved?

The field is relatively easy.

Actually, the field is the hard part! Getting something large, unobstructed, far enough away from roads/people, and where landowner permission has been granted is hard to find. Doubly so, for High Power.

If you have such a place, the flyers will come! RSO does not have to be a local.

Do you have such a field?

Actually, the field is the hard part! Getting something large, unobstructed, far enough away from roads/people, and where landowner permission has been granted is hard to find. Doubly so, for High Power.

If you have such a place, the flyers will come! RSO does not have to be a local.

Do you have such a field?

This very much depends on what part of which country one is.

This very much depends on what part of which country one is.

While different parts of Canada may have more or less qualifying fields, there is a different attitude towards the hobby both from the government and landowners perspective in Canada vs. the US.

Having been a part of the NAPAS filed search committee since it was formed a couple/few years ago, and having sent representatives of NAPAS to meet with Transport Canada, I have a reasonably good feel for the challenges we face in Canada. I also know from private as well as TRF forum discussions that fields are cherished and regarded as hard to come by in the US.

Based on this, I personally believe that the comment "Actually, the field is the hard part!" made by Dario, is an accurate generalization.

The field is relatively easy. it's the "other" stuff that makes it difficult..If we Have the field.. Who files for the NOTAM / waiver? Who RSO / LSO the event? Who brings the launch equipment? How deeply does CAR need to be involved?

Get a suitable high power capable field close to the Ottawa-Gatineau region and I can help you with the "other" stuff. Transport Canada's "Application for Authorization to Launch High Power and Advanced High Power Rockets" (waivers are for the US), RSO, LCO and launch equipment can be sorted out once the field is located. The local Ottawa club has the experience to take care of the other stuff required for a successful event. Please keep us posted about field availability.
Thanks.
Greg

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-standards/26-0660.pdf

Last edited:
Back