MAC Performance 3FNC on a Loki K960

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first picture show the motor mount / main chute bay . I decided on using a section of blue tube I had laying around . I cut the tube to 27.375 inches . The motor will occupy 20 inches of this tube , leaving me about 7 inches of space for tbe main chute. There will be a 1/4 inch bulkhead just above the motir for a main attachment point. The second and third photo is of the tail cone bonded to the motor tube . The last photo is of the body tube , cut to the desired lengths . I trimed 1/2 inch off behind the fin slots , then cut the tube 3/4 of a inch infrint of the slots .

20160925_093500.jpg

20160925_094507.jpg

20160925_094527.jpg

20160928_173303.jpg

The first picture is of the fins after being cut to fit the tail cone better . I cleaned up the not so straight cut with a sanding block . The next pic is of the fins tacked on with some JB Weld . The third picture is of the lower tube slide over the fincan . The last picture is of the 1 inch fiberglass coupling ring used to join the two tubes together . On top of the fin can there is a 3/8 CR that will also serve as a hard point mount for my rail button . I choose to use 1515 buttons on this build .

20160928_175400.jpg

20160929_105715.jpg

20160929_105746.jpg

20160929_105808.jpg

The first picture shows the upper avionics tube in place . This will be held on with 9 number 6 screws . The last photo is with the nose cone installed . I still need to make the 3 inch coupler nose cone support . The drouge attatchment point will be bonded right to the motor tube with JB Weld .

20160929_105832.jpg

20160929_105856.jpg

Eric, what ever happened with this build? :jaw: It has been six months....

Hey John , the rocket is all done . I beleive it was 6 out of our clubs 9 launches got rained out last year . Life has been great and I am ready to fly this beast several times this year. The final dry weight is right around 2000 grams. I needed 1 pound of steel shot in the nose cone to get myself a stability margine of .75 with the 54mm 5 grain motor .20170308_075719.jpg
20170308_075634.jpg20170308_090331.jpg

The last photo is of the electronics bay with the skin removed . I have 1515 buttons going on it . The drouge is a 14 inch Top Flight , and the main is a 50 inch thin mill Top Flight .

Eric

Nice finish! Looking forward to the flight video. <hint hint>

The finish is just Rust-oleum lacquer. I have still yet to color sand and clear the rocket . This is one reason I am partial to lacquers . First flight will be on high thrust 38mm motor maybe a Loki I405 to about 1900 feet , I just need to purchase a new 480ns motor . I gave my last one away to a worthy individual .

Eric

Just following up on this, did this ever fly on the Loki K960?

No it has not flown on the K960 yet . This spring it will . Between work , the loss of my home flying field , and a 3 year old daughter , my flying season was cut short . I plan on flying a couple times this year at URRF , the closest field at 4.5 hours away , and it will go off there .

Eric

No it has not flown on the K960 yet . This spring it will . Between work , the loss of my home flying field , and a 3 year old daughter , my flying season was cut short . I plan on flying a couple times this year at URRF , the closest field at 4.5 hours away , and it will go off there .

Eric
My favorite pop and drop on 3 grain 38's. mine also extended to 12 inch airframe..... 6 ounces in the nose. Will put it up on I power at Mini Midwest Power. Its in for repaint....IMG_3381.jpg

I’m thinking of buying the MAC 3FNC, I probably won’t “hot-rod” it since fields / flying is kinda limited right now. Did you use a tracker? Thinking of a Eggtimer...

It has logged ten flights to date. the last being at Midwest Power last Fall on a CTI I 180 Skidmark. I have not used a tracker. I have an Rtx GPS system but the nosecone houses the parachute and harness...no room left over. The redesigned 3FNC offered by MAC Performance has more room for recovery stuff.

It has logged ten flights to date. the last being at Midwest Power last Fall on a CTI I 180 Skidmark. I have not used a tracker. I have an Rtx GPS system but the nosecone houses the parachute and harness...no room left over. The redesigned 3FNC offered by MAC Performance has more room for recovery stuff.
My 3FNC from MAC (along with a few other goodies) arrives tomorrow. Have so blown my budget for rockets 🚀. Will just tell my wife “Bday & Father’s Day are covered, Sweetie. Was just trying to make it easier on you.”

Back