Rocket Triggered Lightning

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Reaction score
You never want to launch rockets during a thunderstorm... unless you're doing research!

I don't know what kind of rockets they're using but I'm sure they're toast along with the copper wire they're attached to.

[youtube]buSaGIoNXu8[/youtube]

Here's another, I'm sure there are a few more.

[youtube]34NpyA2OuaE[/youtube]

It was discovered if the conditions are right you don't need the wire, just the ionized smoke trail is enough. The best reason to not fly if there's a chance of lightning.

We have sold parachutes for this use for many years now. They launch the rocket into a thunder storm with wire attached to the rocket and when lighting strikes the wire the lighting travels down wire and they measure the power in the strike.

We have sold parachutes for this use for many years now. They launch the rocket into a thunder storm with wire attached to the rocket and when lighting strikes the wire the lighting travels down wire and they measure the power in the strike.

OK, dumb question, what is the parachute for? Is the rocket useable after a lightning strike?

I assume the lightning travels down the wire to ground. Of interest, They use an air tube to start the launch sequence. Nothing hard wired from the control area to the rocket !

I saw that several years ago on TV
discovery channel ? the launchers were inside a metal caboose for safety and they used pneumatic switches that were activated by blowing on a rubber hose

I saw that several years ago on TV
discovery channel ? the launchers were inside a metal caboose for safety and they used pneumatic switches that were activated by blowing on a rubber hose

I don't want to encourage anyone to hurt themselves by revealing methods, but someone here who had actually done it contacted me via PM and shared links to how it's done.
It's not something you would want to do to make a Youtube Video, so it is best left to the professionals, although I'm sure that some idiot will get hurt trying it by researching the limited amount of data found here.
I knew someone who died from a lightning strike, and one other who was injured by it with damage that does not heal.

Yup, my step-sister was in her house when it was struck by lightning. She got some of it and has had a studdering problem since. Lightning is no joke.

A slight variation on eth subject; they use rocketry to catch birds.

What they do, is have a net laid out on the ground. two corners are staked, and two corners are tethered to rockets. When birds land in eh area adjacent to the net, they fire the two rockets which catapult the net over & onto the birds..

A slight variation on eth subject; they use rocketry to catch birds.

What they do, is have a net laid out on the ground. two corners are staked, and two corners are tethered to rockets. When birds land in eh area adjacent to the net, they fire the two rockets which catapult the net over & onto the birds..

You need to watch the old John Wayne movie from the early 60's Hatari! Red Buttons was a rocket geek and used a rocket to throw a net over a tree so they could catch monkeys. It sure looks like they pulled off the stunt. Kurt

You need to watch the old John Wayne movie from the early 60's Hatari! Red Buttons was a rocket geek and used a rocket to throw a net over a tree so they could catch monkeys. It sure looks like they pulled off the stunt. Kurt

That's exactly what I thought of when dr wogs posted that. I'm glad you remembered the name of the movie because I sure didn't.

Back