Minimum Diameter 54mm - Let's see yours.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everybody for the kind words.

Awesome! Doubly awesome that you did it at FAR. Are you a regular flier out there?

Did you use fixed rail guides, flyaway, tower?

This was my first time there. My family is doing a vacation to the grand canyon and Vegas, so FAR was on our way to Vegas.

I used a launch tower that I made. Pictures of it are in my build thread linked in my sig.

So.......... which one of you is going to be the first one to take the L altitude record with the L-1040LR or L-2050?
Considering the L record is 32K in a 3" rocket with 3147 Ns, either one should shatter the altitude record in a 2.2" rocket from a high altitude launch field. Only issue I see is the much higher mach number.

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

This was my first time there. My family is doing a vacation to the grand canyon and Vegas, so FAR was on our way to Vegas.

I used a launch tower that I made. Pictures of it are in my build thread linked in my sig.

Ah yes, I remember browsing that thread before. Nice work.

Will you be going back to FAR or is the distance prohibitive? It'd be nice to have a regular contingent of High Power flyers out there. watermelonman is another FAR regular.

Ah yes, I remember browsing that thread before. Nice work.

Will you be going back to FAR or is the distance prohibitive? It'd be nice to have a regular contingent of High Power flyers out there. watermelonman is another FAR regular.

I am planning on going there in the future, but it won't be a regular occurrence. Maybe only once or twice a year. It was about eight hours to drive down there. But I also want to try making a hybrid motor in the future, and that is the perfect place to test it.

Well here's my entry into this tread. Been a while since i posted on here. Last post i think i made was for my Level 3, still haven't done my cert flight though.

Carbon/Fiberglass sleeve from Soller. Wrapped around a very thin cardboard tube. Surface finish is very rough, so this in my "Roughly Min54" build. I suck at painting, and loath sanding so everything is going to be rough looking. Not looking to break records or anything, just a high performance rocket that looks "badass", from 50yards away...

PML Intellicone, very easy to put together. Have some Chrome Vinyl coming in tomorrow and will attempt to wrap the cone as well as i can.

Payload bay is 12", fincan is 48", so I can stuff anything i want in there.

Prizm Plate fins from PML, Quicksilver fin shape, was supposed to be 6 fins, but well the dog got a taste of G10 and found one. So 5 Fins it is.

Not finished, still a work in progress.

This is "to be" named Ostrommaysorum. I designed it to be optimized for a Loki 54/2800 motor. It's got a couple of unique details. First is not that unusual, and that is that the forward end of the motor serves as the airframe coupler. However, what IS unique is that I also designed and built into it a bolt-in piece that acts as both the coupler and recovery anchor when using shorter motors. Next is that the nose cone threads into the payload airframe. And that threaded piece actually holds in the nosecone AV bay sled. The sled holds a FW Power Perch (for a Raven altimeter) on one side (which also uses a mag switch so no holes in the nose cone), and a BRB RDF tracker on the other side. The airframe only comes apart in one place during the flight......the payload end stays attached to the nosecone (threaded on). At apogee, the mains are ejected in a bundle held together by a CableCutter with a very small pilot/drogue, and then mains deployment is handled by that CableCutter.

I had planned on doing a carbon fiber tip to tip on the fincan, but it's not really necessary, and that idea may be scrapped. If so, this is very close to "ready to fly".

Thinwall FWFG, thin G10 fins, FWFG nose cone with a composite tip (which is very light). Sims put it upwards of 18,000'.

View attachment 293476

Now all that said, there is a very good chance this won't actually be finished. At least not by me. More on that coming soon.
ssix

Gosh, I hope I win that bird!!!!

You know I like to build my own, it is so much about the journey, as well as the destination, however that "bird" did catch my eye as well and if I didn't have a bunch of unfinished rockets I would of jumped on it. That and the "Trang" which looks like a fun rocket to fly.

I'm almost done with my 54mm minimum diameter rocket. All carbon fiber except the inside of fins is G10 plate. I tried to build it based on Jim Jarvis' tutorial, but need to do a lot more practice to get them looking like his! Just the body is 48" long and 470g. Haven't flown it yet but simulations say 16,400 feet on an AT K480 (probably the largest I'd ever fly based on my location). The motor case in the picture is an AT 54-2560.

Steve
L2

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 294619View attachment 294620View attachment 294621View attachment 294622

I'm almost done with my 54mm minimum diameter rocket. All carbon fiber except the inside of fins is G10 plate. I tried to build it based on Jim Jarvis' tutorial, but need to do a lot more practice to get them looking like his! Just the body is 48" long and 470g. Haven't flown it yet but simulations say 16,400 feet on an AT K480 (probably the largest I'd ever fly based on my location). The motor case in the picture is AT 54-2560.

Steve
L2

That's some really nice work! Is the finish just straight epoxy, like in Jim's tutorials?

Thanks a lot Scott. Yes, the finish is just epoxy. I laid up the carbon fiber, then 6 heavy coats of epoxy, sand it all down, fill in the low spots, sanding, filling, then wet sanding up to about 1500 grit, then I put on two very light coats and wiped off each coat as much as I could. Then I called it a day. No polish or wax for this one.

Steve
L2

Yikes! PLEASE don't tell me that you made a bid for this and I missed it!! I would have loved to put this into your hands. But I honestly don't recall you making an offer, and I just sifted through (hundreds of) emails to see if you were in there regarding it. If I did screw up and passed you over, I apologize hugely.

And wouldn't you know it, I JUST sold this like five minutes ago!

Again, Dave, if I screwed up, I'm sorry. dang it.

s6

Yikes! PLEASE don't tell me that you made a bid for this and I missed it!! I would have loved to put this into your hands. But I honestly don't recall you making an offer, and I just sifted through (hundreds of) emails to see if you were in there regarding it. If I did screw up and passed you over, I apologize hugely.

And wouldn't you know it, I JUST sold this like five minutes ago!

Again, Dave, if I screwed up, I'm sorry. dang it.

s6

Dave- It's all good, brother. I had to copy and paste the name so it's in bold like the post. If it falls thru tho' , lemme know. All i can say is there will be another load for the Aerotech 2800 case, I was hoping to fly the demo. I know this bird would take it!

Here's my last 54mm minimum diameter. Crazy to think I haven't flown a 54mm min diameter in nearly 3 years. The rocket (54 Mini) was flown at Balls 22 in 2013. Construction was pretty simple, single break fwfg airframe, Shockwave NC, and 3 fg fins with tip to tip. It flew to 23,908ft AGL on a K300 and landed on the top of Razorback Mountain. Thanks goes to Charlie Ogino from Carolina Composites who scaled the mountain in search of my rocket. Unfortunately he was unsuccessful. Further thanks go to James Sampayan who actually went to Black Rock and hiked Razorback Mountain and recovered my rocket! The main never deployed, I was flying a Raven and launch altitude was ~3,900ft and the rocket landed at ~4,950ft altitude on the mountain. As my Raven was configured for 800ft for the main deployment it was 250ft above the altitude where the main would have fired. The nc sustained damage from landing but the airframe was fine other than a few dings.

Mini54-cropped.jpg

where-my-rocket-is-again.jpg

RocketFound.jpg

NoseDamage.jpg

54mini-balls2013.jpg

Raven2-Balls2013-54mini-K300-summary.jpg

As I recall, it was a 3-wrap tube and the fins were quite thin (carbon plate with one layer of tip to tip carbon).
It was built specifically for the K300/K250 motors, which top out at under Mach 2, and likely would not have survived something like an L1400. It used the motor as the coupler. It still holds the current (gps verified) K record at 29,266 feet.
It flew three times after that, but on it's last flight, I made the joint at the motor too tight and it failed to separate at apogee. I was not able to find it. Jim

Thought I saw you listed for that record on the Tripoli site.

BTW: Does tipoli have the info here incorrect? Shows motor used for the Multi-staged O motor record category as N's ?
Is that cause the two Ns equal an O ?
https://www.tripoli.org/Records/Commercial-O-Records

Last edited:
The N5800 is roughly a 98% N with a total impulse of 20145.7 Ns according to ThrustCurve. The N1100 has a total impulse of 14005Ns. Tripoli records for staged attempts combines all the motors used in the stack to classify the staging attempt for record purposes. As an O class motor is 20500-41000Ns and Jim's combined stack was 34150.7Ns of total impulse. As such it was considered an O class motor staging attempt.

It flew to 23,908ft AGL on a K300 and landed on the top of Razorback Mountain. Thanks goes to Charlie Ogino from Carolina Composites who scaled the mountain in search of my rocket. Unfortunately he was unsuccessful. Further thanks go to James Sampayan who actually went to Black Rock and hiked Razorback Mountain and recovered my rocket! The main never deployed, I was flying a Raven and launch altitude was ~3,900ft and the rocket landed at ~4,950ft altitude on the mountain. As my Raven was configured for 800ft for the main deployment it was 250ft above the altitude where the main would have fired. The nc sustained damage from landing but the airframe was fine other than a few dings.

I landed on Razerback mountain a few years back. Not as high as you did, but it was still a hike. TFish pulled it down, but I got most of the way up and was the only one of the two of us that brought water. I always set my main altitude at 4,000 feet at BlackRock. Sometimes, that pays off!

Jim

Mountain.jpg

So.......... which one of you is going to be the first one to take the L altitude record with the L-1040LR or L-2050?

I have plans to. But I need materials.. and the case... and the motor... and if I manage to get all of that, then I'll need waiver space for such a flight.

But if you want to know, preliminary sims say over 40k and over M3. Any chance you can make a slower 80-90%L to make this a bit higher and slower?

I've have a couple 54mm MDs

First up, not sure if it qualifies, but it's a booster stage to my Darkstar Jr. It can be flown as one stage, and I plan to do so on a J145 skid at one point. But for LDRS 36 I want to put a K740 as a sustainer to a J150.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1467594974.780123.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1467595008.632933.jpg

Next up is The Overthruster (any Buckaroo Banzai fans out there?). This rocket was meant to just be a test and will likely only fly a couple of times with its biggest motor being maybe a K740. LDRS 36 maybe the only time within the next year I will have waiver space available to fly on a K motor.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1467595325.752053.jpg

The body tube is a fiberglass tube I rolled as a practice tube for my 38mm carbon fiber MD. The nose cone is FWFG from rocketry warehouse. The electronics are a Raven 3 inside the nose cone shoulder.

Has the Overthruster flown across the 8th dimension yet?

Last edited:
I landed on Razerback mountain a few years back. Not as high as you did, but it was still a hike. TFish pulled it down, but I got most of the way up and was the only one of the two of us that brought water. I always set my main altitude at 4,000 feet at BlackRock. Sometimes, that pays off!

Jim

If I ever get back to Balls I'll do the same thing Jim. Realistically given the way the playa can wreak havoc on RF comms it's probably better to pop the main earlier instead of leaving the default 800' AGL configuration.

Smart move on taking water, that's something I STUPIDLY didn't do. I got quite high up the side of Razorback before having the revelation that I'm into the hobby of rocketry, not mountain climbing. One of the Hillbilly Rocketry Boys came across me when I was coming back down, took one look at me, and threw me on the back of his quad. Later on I reflected on just how stupid I was.

About the only upside was that I was able to get a couple launch photos of The Australian Rocketry Thunda 2015 rocket, known as Drama Queen.

5ksEzyFpajHfk9xmJhNy7f1uCWIclr2v2FsC28I1QxlFs5CQgiECeSlvgq41XbZS5ArgCZDFvbmxp3SCIQDUGGBWHN0XLjaOlyWZSiPGO-N1jmQnstQjO0GpxaX6RISsfoGfB18N8z5zrikJpTSzgKCjg1YWUB_04wiwOLLQFk0UoC4zXzXhgeqizcl0CDQIDfEts-QQZHN11HCOQRez0nTplAePdCTWsRwmKKfg8o0VyzRYWbJZodU2DmUdIMgySEFhjZFgPZDsFsk33a_sFUYtL8jWgQeScEqouH0IhmFcwKliYcwrI4MKPNTvkyaXf1IcHDiUdcuLEqCBmQMDAWqeM1J5FvMUiGzrJxugmb7ujIFkyeMQ9dkXL0vyHHUv1_JGdx6C6SWwhX46L7L1ptxJk2B0CNdOpPrF9x5wlMq-KjPqyGdVccdgnkRwQm8Y0IXpm5dlyBUSzdVVXs3r8vbYP2D1m2NlR6kfXPUEkHYYRgOp-CyfjsDUZf1C0BzPNGwdn83ePixpugjZ2vHV9OPU5RjxHZ-gxVspx3Li4xsp5A8YvkEtHETeWoiADSlbOeslwshUA0j6J1MEkQ5hV0XRVd44rWY=w1400-h967-no

That's a 6" O4475 Black Lightning in a 7.5 inch diameter 18 foot long rocket.

And just to add to the thread drift I believe these two photos I took were your staging rocket from Balls 22.

VddBY0TJ1mLyt6QNOTvtIv4mbS5WzWXTgRQfTlnTwGKqWZF9c5K0Yun_OJ2R8DED91bf-TWSuHoNn7OurWxuTU3xPtW6-rleWdg6G8NDMfI5sCG0NSm965aIh2sO0mBIQFSnZrbBJ-d8VJWgG8AuzYFclIe7zTRhl_Lcu3f-6Lr7eTLfxBfT_Mc1DNDnLe9ZHdp-ygzeag_TGiBnsx4vJMmJtbBjfx2-IWoxRAmMsE5ofc8JuDOoiQudS8UcClRl21KR4SXvvcYyplWedzXO4xUAQd-mQVaehtROoNPP-x_JOlvuWKIuGH7Bx-iOce9q7bN6dxae56uDa9zprC4XcAwbsHA9n2gDnpaX0lDOtkCMjojm5i5suPlOqzTpJWfaAbWp5tNK2b4e_iQCijRyZDoq72VLFZq0zJ2MGxHvci3qoQ-_p-kuGz3b_Hotg9vdBzhutz4eeQO2z4yGAtXAWmgb6uKd2dLu-q7Z3b5NvbIqRf97jGNH1Oo5_n72QmENq9dUDQbZwJ-jWuTH7pdZG_XRxbYgEuRZJE1sRswz_rnsubrg4yr8hvk7-a78gfNf8D0RlXNspDrlisUCVA4kxCtozzWkKkI=w659-h967-no

f5x1W6ki1q078sb3I_-LFr5tj-jBHZYOvE3tpPnDQqzlsQaecRnKr8fMMH3WrVHndpWfiXlucxYUiqIxthP7AtMb4bdYxCvugoozz8i3JRpGZ_sjcI9ZBvXVRJ_Gyur2K1KuzSHVgUmf6wfaUrLdLKqzshEYFh16Tw2Xoknd_A-zkUUFJLSMlmMESAL-zC37N_WlhcGRx-XHxIuKngKZkcT31J_qZ0q6m6A0uAW0iuDLwgNCWCPlNeJsFjeBEGzXcKoIN_hMqU1vhjNTu2tWqUheDq0oJZ2RRXcD0myBGf1R9gHgjNzBhXb8SDJl6f-w2eB9sKJ-rs_CznxVpJ_0vIkCKcqVXQIWS541GAy64T8t3Xfs0GepGou2qRKWftsMDNaSY8Qjh5g0Ga5TuwFbQD7MIa4H-0aUnyRp6ECKwvRo5Ob5sk3O-QMjQRWi6BbC7c13Qsvf9VN719uNo8GBDnjWCzVew0M_K6s38pNHn3MxUgHqCNLyDHDbZCiF6K8ITkffw1U9b7ryhorX9g4KTNuDyUqKvdfe4p_n87z2DtkFm6DAaGaudvX2zpzzPVg-kzC3dc3dDstlETLHn-mQndkx5n70CSI=w734-h967-no

If I ever get back to Balls I'll do the same thing Jim. Realistically given the way the playa can wreak havoc on RF comms it's probably better to pop the main earlier instead of leaving the default 800' AGL configuration.

Smart move on taking water, that's something I STUPIDLY didn't do. I got quite high up the side of Razorback before having the revelation that I'm into the hobby of rocketry, not mountain climbing. One of the Hillbilly Rocketry Boys came across me when I was coming back down, took one look at me, and threw me on the back of his quad. Later on I reflected on just how stupid I was.

About the only upside was that I was able to get a couple launch photos of The Australian Rocketry Thunda 2015 rocket, known as Drama Queen.

5ksEzyFpajHfk9xmJhNy7f1uCWIclr2v2FsC28I1QxlFs5CQgiECeSlvgq41XbZS5ArgCZDFvbmxp3SCIQDUGGBWHN0XLjaOlyWZSiPGO-N1jmQnstQjO0GpxaX6RISsfoGfB18N8z5zrikJpTSzgKCjg1YWUB_04wiwOLLQFk0UoC4zXzXhgeqizcl0CDQIDfEts-QQZHN11HCOQRez0nTplAePdCTWsRwmKKfg8o0VyzRYWbJZodU2DmUdIMgySEFhjZFgPZDsFsk33a_sFUYtL8jWgQeScEqouH0IhmFcwKliYcwrI4MKPNTvkyaXf1IcHDiUdcuLEqCBmQMDAWqeM1J5FvMUiGzrJxugmb7ujIFkyeMQ9dkXL0vyHHUv1_JGdx6C6SWwhX46L7L1ptxJk2B0CNdOpPrF9x5wlMq-KjPqyGdVccdgnkRwQm8Y0IXpm5dlyBUSzdVVXs3r8vbYP2D1m2NlR6kfXPUEkHYYRgOp-CyfjsDUZf1C0BzPNGwdn83ePixpugjZ2vHV9OPU5RjxHZ-gxVspx3Li4xsp5A8YvkEtHETeWoiADSlbOeslwshUA0j6J1MEkQ5hV0XRVd44rWY=w1400-h967-no

That's a 6" O4475 Black Lightning in a 7.5 inch diameter 18 foot long rocket.

And just to add to the thread drift I believe these two photos I took were your staging rocket from Balls 22.

VddBY0TJ1mLyt6QNOTvtIv4mbS5WzWXTgRQfTlnTwGKqWZF9c5K0Yun_OJ2R8DED91bf-TWSuHoNn7OurWxuTU3xPtW6-rleWdg6G8NDMfI5sCG0NSm965aIh2sO0mBIQFSnZrbBJ-d8VJWgG8AuzYFclIe7zTRhl_Lcu3f-6Lr7eTLfxBfT_Mc1DNDnLe9ZHdp-ygzeag_TGiBnsx4vJMmJtbBjfx2-IWoxRAmMsE5ofc8JuDOoiQudS8UcClRl21KR4SXvvcYyplWedzXO4xUAQd-mQVaehtROoNPP-x_JOlvuWKIuGH7Bx-iOce9q7bN6dxae56uDa9zprC4XcAwbsHA9n2gDnpaX0lDOtkCMjojm5i5suPlOqzTpJWfaAbWp5tNK2b4e_iQCijRyZDoq72VLFZq0zJ2MGxHvci3qoQ-_p-kuGz3b_Hotg9vdBzhutz4eeQO2z4yGAtXAWmgb6uKd2dLu-q7Z3b5NvbIqRf97jGNH1Oo5_n72QmENq9dUDQbZwJ-jWuTH7pdZG_XRxbYgEuRZJE1sRswz_rnsubrg4yr8hvk7-a78gfNf8D0RlXNspDrlisUCVA4kxCtozzWkKkI=w659-h967-no

f5x1W6ki1q078sb3I_-LFr5tj-jBHZYOvE3tpPnDQqzlsQaecRnKr8fMMH3WrVHndpWfiXlucxYUiqIxthP7AtMb4bdYxCvugoozz8i3JRpGZ_sjcI9ZBvXVRJ_Gyur2K1KuzSHVgUmf6wfaUrLdLKqzshEYFh16Tw2Xoknd_A-zkUUFJLSMlmMESAL-zC37N_WlhcGRx-XHxIuKngKZkcT31J_qZ0q6m6A0uAW0iuDLwgNCWCPlNeJsFjeBEGzXcKoIN_hMqU1vhjNTu2tWqUheDq0oJZ2RRXcD0myBGf1R9gHgjNzBhXb8SDJl6f-w2eB9sKJ-rs_CznxVpJ_0vIkCKcqVXQIWS541GAy64T8t3Xfs0GepGou2qRKWftsMDNaSY8Qjh5g0Ga5TuwFbQD7MIa4H-0aUnyRp6ECKwvRo5Ob5sk3O-QMjQRWi6BbC7c13Qsvf9VN719uNo8GBDnjWCzVew0M_K6s38pNHn3MxUgHqCNLyDHDbZCiF6K8ITkffw1U9b7ryhorX9g4KTNuDyUqKvdfe4p_n87z2DtkFm6DAaGaudvX2zpzzPVg-kzC3dc3dDstlETLHn-mQndkx5n70CSI=w734-h967-no

Yep, those pics were mine! Taking along water wasn't too hard to figure out. It was about 105F at the time.

Jim

Back