SpaceX Falcon 9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckjohnson

Reaction score
Has anybody built the Falcon 9 available from SpaceX? I'm just curious how much detail is on the rocket. I just searched, and didn't find anything on it.

Thanks guys!

I built the first version. There was not much in the way of details on it. The details were printed on a body wrap.

There seems to be a bit more details on this newer version, and now there are some after market 3D printed parts available.

Cool. I've been thinking about it for a while now.

I went to a Falcon 9 launch out at Kennedy, but it got scrubbed. I've been thinking about building a model after that. :)

A big group of folks from Space-X launched a bunch of them at our Saturday launch. All on E9 motors. They fly great.

Has anybody built the Falcon 9 available from SpaceX? I'm just curious how much detail is on the rocket. I just searched, and didn't find anything on it.

Thanks guys!
Which one? The first one or the one with the fairing? I have both and can post a pic if needed.

Tony

I never take pictures as I am *WAYYY* too busy checking people in and simultaneously attempting to explain things to newbies (like "what is wadding and do I need it?") and helping repair pre- and post-flight damage for newbies.

Bob Sanford may have taken some photos.

Just bizarre to me that a launch involving a big group of people from SpaceX, launching scale models of the Falcon, and nobody was specifically taking any pics during such an event.

I get that you specifically were super-busy. I don't get that nobody was thinking big-picture enough to make a point of documenting it, or making sure someone else did.

As the saying goes..... pics or it didn't happen.....

They come to our launches all the time. They have been doing so since the models first came out (and some test flights as well IIRC).

This launch was our first one back on our larger area in the park after 2 months on a tiny field as the Renaissance Fair rents a large chunk of the park and uses our launch site for parking in April and May.

So, the launch was fairly busy with lots of youth groups and plenty of big model rockets flown by 'regulars' (and a couple of newbie adults). I would be surprised if Bob did not take any pictures, since he does so at every launch I've ever seen him at. Maybe he'll chime in soon, or maybe he is building non-stop for LDRS?

I can tell you that one of the F9 models floated down in front of me and it landed (with parachute) at a good speed, so I got to comment to the owner that it probably used some of the "crush" in it's landing legs. he then commented a bit about the last barge landing and how the stage was lifting up off of one or more legs quite a bit until they got it secured.

Just bizarre to me that a launch involving a big group of people from SpaceX, launching scale models of the Falcon, and nobody was specifically taking any pics during such an event.

I get that you specifically were super-busy. I don't get that nobody was thinking big-picture enough to make a point of documenting it, or making sure someone else did.

As the saying goes..... pics or it didn't happen.....

I guess it must be the Fairing version. Here are both kits:

both-kits.jpg

The first one is OOP. I bought 2 of them - one I built and flew at BALLS a couple of years ago and then had everyone who was there with TNT sign it and the other is still in the box. I also have 2 of the original Fairing version, I guess I should buy one of the newer ones as well. The original kit uses 18mm motors instead of the 24mm used by the Fairing version.

Tony

Yup. There were test flights before the larger version was put into production. I advised them to go 24mm and at least 3/16" launch lug. They did so and that was a fantastic improvement.

I guess it must be the Fairing version. Here are both kits:

View attachment 293412

The first one is OOP. I bought 2 of them - one I built and flew at BALLS a couple of years ago and then had everyone who was there with TNT sign it and the other is still in the box. I also have 2 of the original Fairing version, I guess I should buy one of the newer ones as well. The original kit uses 18mm motors instead of the 24mm used by the Fairing version.

Tony

I would love to see a kit of their Falcon 9 Heavy. I believe I saw a scratch built one at the NAR Sport launch a year ago but I was pretty busy and did not see it fly.

Speaking of Heavy, a scout leader at our launch on Saturday flew his Delta IV Heavy again on a cluster of 3 Estes E12-4 motors. It is wonderful.

(No photos from me....)

I would love to see a kit of their Falcon 9 Heavy. I believe I saw a scratch built one at the NAR Sport launch a year ago but I was pretty busy and did not see it fly.

Speaking of Heavy, a scout leader at our launch on Saturday flew his Delta IV Heavy again on a cluster of 3 Estes E12-4 motors. It is wonderful.

(No photos from me....)

What size tubing was it based on?

Latest posts

Back