LDRS 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a magnetic switch user, logistically a mechanical break would present a problem. However I understand that there is some interpretation on this issue and that each club may sit in a different camp. I will also respect whatever MDRA comes back with, as it is their field. Although I am hoping for a favourable ruling, as a hard mechanical open circuit rule would represent a problem for me in that I would have to rebuild my AV sleds.

Having said that, from posts I have read by individuals who appear to have knowledge on the topic, there appear to be two main camps. Some who believe that it is safe and even suggest that the magnetic switch is an overall safer option than a mechanical switch, and those who believe that it has to be a mechanical break and anything less than that is a risk.

Personally I wish I had a better qualified opinion on the subject as I can only provide anecdotal feedback that I have used magnetic switches for three years without a failure. In that time I had an incident where a rocket descended from just under 10,000' under drogue, because I left some masking tape on the burrito for the main, and the rocket landed hard. However everything was fine. I have also has several Mach one + flights and even kissed Mach two with a rocket that uses two mag switches, and everything was nominal. FWIW.

Obviously my experiences are relatively limited in scope, but none the less it is my experience.

Keep in mind that the rule is not there to prevent people from flying or having fun! Hang in there till the BoD comes back with some clarification. I'm sure you will be able to arm and test your devices in a safe way that does not make the event a big PitA for you.

Keep in mind also that the NAR rule which currently requires a physical break in the circuit somewhere between the battery and the charges is only for NAR Level 3 certification flights, nothing else.

Steve Shannon

Thanks John. That's my setup (Magnetic).

A general response will not be coming as it is impossible to address every possible situation. If there is a specific question that needs to be responded to please email the BoD at [email protected].

Hope this helps, Scott

Last edited:
After rereading my post above I did exactly what I said I was not going to do, I posted a general response. That response was removed.

Please email the BoD or find an RSO at the launch and explain your situation, I'm sure we will be able to find an amicable solution for any circumstance.

Thanks, Scott

I'm very impressed with both the rules and the advance communication of the rules. I'm really looking forward to attending LDRS 36 and meeting people from the eastern United States whom I've only known through their online presences.

I'm very impressed with both the rules and the advance communication of the rules. I'm really looking forward to attending LDRS 36 and meeting people from the eastern United States whom I've only known through their online presences.

Looking forward to meeting you, Steve.

Being a magnetic switch user, logistically a mechanical break would present a problem. However I understand that there is some interpretation on this issue and that each club may sit in a different camp. I will also respect whatever MDRA comes back with, as it is their field. Although I am hoping for a favourable ruling, as a hard mechanical open circuit rule would represent a problem for me in that I would have to rebuild my AV sleds.

Having said that, from posts I have read by individuals who appear to have knowledge on the topic, there appear to be two main camps. Some who believe that it is safe and even suggest that the magnetic switch is an overall safer option than a mechanical switch, and those who believe that it has to be a mechanical break and anything less than that is a risk.

Personally I wish I had a better qualified opinion on the subject as I can only provide anecdotal feedback that I have used magnetic switches for three years without a failure. In that time I had an incident where a rocket descended from just under 10,000' under drogue, because I left some masking tape on the burrito for the main, and the rocket landed hard. However everything was fine. I have also has several Mach one + flights and even kissed Mach two with a rocket that uses two mag switches, and everything was nominal. FWIW.

Obviously my experiences are relatively limited in scope, but none the less it is my experience.

I don't think it is with the issue of the magnetic switch "breaking" I believe the issue is with rockets that are mechanically switchless and the flier plugs the battery in, quickly shuts the device off before the altimeter cycles, buttons up the ebay
and goes to fly. At the RSO table, rocket is quiet so nothing to alarm anyone.

I've flown with small projects with them in that manner with no issues.

Same thing with the EggFinder Quantums and TRS's. The devices don't necessarily have to have a mechanical switch connected and the devices default to the "off" position when a battery is applied.

I've flown these devices mechanically switchless too with no issues.

Question Mpitfield: Did you have a mechanical switch on the batteries with your mag switched devices or did you plug in your batteries, buttoned up the ebay and flew? If you flew without mechanical switches it's perfectly fine.

Kurt

Question Mpitfield: Did you have a mechanical switch on the batteries with your mag switched devices or did you plug in your batteries, buttoned up the ebay and flew? If you flew without mechanical switches it's perfectly fine.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

No is the short answer, I do not have a mechanical break just simply the mag switch.

When I contemplated using the mag switch, three years ago, I considered putting a mechanical switch in play but felt I was just adding another failure point so it made no sense to me. Still today I do not regret this decision and feel it was correct, except that it would satisfy requirements, should someone require a mechanical break at some point.

Hello! This looks like an absolute "blast". I don't want to miss it being less that 2 hours way.

I am a recent BAAR in the last 6 months. I have been really enjoying building some smaller size MPR rockets, and waiting for opportunities to fly.

Would this be a reasonable opportunity to get an L1 NAR Certification? I think I have been reading this forum and other resources enough to reasonably "overbuild" a kit for such a purpose.

Thanks!

Definitely! There will be plenty of people there to witness certification launches.

Is there an award for coming the furthest distance for LDRS? I'm flying 7,906 miles to make it (from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania). Unfortunately won't be flying as my rockets are all in storage.... but looking forward to spectating!

Is there an award for coming the furthest distance for LDRS? I'm flying 7,906 miles to make it (from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania). Unfortunately won't be flying as my rockets are all in storage.... but looking forward to spectating!

You should discuss that with David Wilkins, Vice President of Tripoli, who's coming from Australia.

Steve Shannon

Show off. LOL, haven't seen you in a while! Good to see you're still kickin'!

I will be parked near Performance Hobbies, mine is the 18' trailer full of rockets and motors near the Road Kill Cafe.
Come by say hello, have a chat, ride out to the pad with us and we'll pop an M powered rocket of an away cell.

*Disclaimer* In typical "Gus" fashion, there is always a joke involved in one of his posts...whether you like it or not.

Question: What do you get when a Truck Driver, an Underage Girl and, a Police Officer gets involved?

Answer: You get a big plate of Cosmic Cheesecake!

That's right, i'm bringing a big serving of Shock and, Awe for my first visit to Higg's field...;) The story begins with a thundering emptying of my wallet (as usual) around the annual "Wildman's Black Wallet Day Sale" for a new Ultimate Interceptor AAD kit. An offer to TAP one of our good friends (Blackbrandt here), a gift for my young protege' and, finally a promise by my good friend Preston Noble to make one ornery EX Skidmark motor too burn.

So sometime before noon on Saturday The Chicago Rocket Mafia will deliver in grand fashion-

The plan is to arrive early on Friday and, to not only meet for the first time but, assist Matt Fletcher in getting a successful L3 Certification...Followed by a trip through the pits with a brand new LDRS 36 T-Shirt in hand along with a bag of multi-colored Sharpie pens...I am humbly asking for anyone to sign it as a gift for my young friend (who cannot attend the event) "The Wildchild" aka Sabrina Sager. On Saturday i'll load the AMW 98mm 11,000 casing stuffed with a 9800ns, 4.9 second burn...M-2000 Skid into the rear of the rocket and, the T-Shirt into the Nosecone Payload bay and, send it up 9000' over Maryland for an "Airspace Flown" gift for my young friend.

After the event the rocket will get a good smathering of paint and, on Sunday May 21st. i will be at the WOOSH event at Bong State Park (Vis :eek: Kon:eek: Sin:eek:) to once again fly the T-Shirt over the lush green swamp land (NOT far from where i grew up as a child) of Southeastern Cheeseland...Then present it to my young friend as a gift.:eek:

SO, if you see a complete stranger at LDRS approaching you with a Shirt and, a bag of multi-colored Sharpie's please, take a minute and, sign the shirt...It will mean alot to my young friend. This is also a perfect chance to meet alot of you that i see on the forum and, swap a story or joke along the way. OR get some trash thrown at me...:duck:

In advance i'd like to thank these individuals involved in my project flight-

1. Wlidman Tim Leher for emptying my wallet to the tune of about $4k this last year right before Christmas.
2. Johnny D at Marsa Systems who's electronics will carry us back to great landing...(just remember to turn them ON this time...)
3. The Woz at Big Bloomers Chute Protectors for the awesome Parachute ummmmmm.....protector thingy.
4. Matt Fletcher for giving me a reason to cross several State lines and, hopefully NOT get caught.
5. Preston Noble for not only taking the time to whip up another awesome EX motor BUT, making a Skidmark motor for me...
6. All the people in the Washington DC and, Baltimore area i will WHIZ off driving through with 9,000#'s of Dodge Ram 4X4...NO IDIOT! THIS LANES MINE! :rant: GIT OUT OF MY WAY!

And, Matt?

Once again, with all the talented Tripoli TAPS available out there, some who really are engineers, great thinkers, accomplished men in their respective fields of employment-
Thanks for picking the ONLY two TAPS who are Professional Truck Drivers to help guide you onto your destiny at LDRS 36...(I'm just glad someone figured out how to contact me.)
Because IF...IF i have to whip out my magic roll of duct tape and, do a fin tip to fin tip layup on your rocket, you will leave the event on Friday night as Tripoli's newest L3...
I am HUMBLED by your request to assist you with your goal my young friend!

Don't forget my young friend Sabrina (once again, The Wildchild), lets give her a gift she will be proud to receive and, wear as she progresses on because, i'm telling you she's going to be a force to reckon with as she gets older...Not that i've had anything to do with it.

See you all there! :D

Check the Tripoli Facebook page. There's some people out there. It's a bit
muddy and drizzly, and a low cloud ceiling from what I can tell.

Pictures - pictures! Lets see some pictures!!! :)

Pictures? You want pictures? Uncle Gus just pulled into the Centreville Truckstop about an hour ago (and, it's VERY dark right now).

Sabrina I've also realized something else- You know how how big my Crewcab pickup is? About as much internal volume as the Lunar LEM...Well, when it's packed like I packed it and, your covered up in thick fuzzy blanket patiently awaiting tomorrow...and, your face is inches from 10#'s of explosives and, your rump is straddling (basically) an N Skidmark motor.:eek:

You wonder why you didn't get a motel room!

I will take some pictures, get your shirt signed AND, send you a video of my launch-
Real soon.;)

Tomorrow we get Uncle Matt Certified L3! :D Or dig that critter out of the ground...:facepalm: At least the ground will be real soft. :rolleyes:

Working the overnight shift and will head to the Eastern Shore in the AM. ETA is around 9ish depending on traffic. I won't be flying but I will be shooting lots of video and photos. I am bringing 2 Nikon DSLRs, a Zoom digital audio recorder, shotgun mic, boompole, and bunch of other stuff. I am hoping that I can park close to the action so that I am not walking miles to fetch gear. If anyone of you want to speak on camera about your projects, rocketry, or LDRS I'd like to have you aboard.

Here's a sample of my work:

[YOUTUBE]v1Y1s5dwuvM[/YOUTUBE]

Tomorrow we get Uncle Matt Certified L3! :D Or dig that critter out of the ground...:facepalm: At least the ground will be real soft. :rolleyes:

Dig? With the pics I saw of the mud, you will just need a rope, a winch, and a high enough point to hang a pulley from and pull that sucker out of the ground, hose it down, and fly it again!

60mph wind! Guess you'll have to lay down to take a pee 😂

Back