LDRS 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This launch is going to be very well attended right?

How hard would it be to do a few MPR / LPR flights off the A rack? Is it still worth it to fly non HPR at this kind of event?
If you have easy access (i.e. live within 4 hours or less drive) to LDRS you should definitely make an effort to attend. If you attend LDRS you should plan on flying rockets. Period. Large launch events are a great experience; you sort of get caught-up in the festive frenzy.

No one at LDRS will look down at you if you only fly LPR or MPR rockets.

And definitely YES, there will be a lot of people there. And many vendors. And you can meet some of the "celebrities" of rocketry.

--Lance.

Gotta figure out how to get permission to go. 3 1/2 hours from my house, less than three if I head down straight from work on Friday. Hmm.

Same motor took my rocket to 7500'. It's a 4 grain 98mm blue load Burl cast for me. OCF is pretty close in specs.

This launch is going to be very well attended right?

How hard would it be to do a few MPR / LPR flights off the A rack? Is it still worth it to fly non HPR at this kind of event?

Wouldn't be hard at all! A racks will be up and operational. LDRS (or any big national or regional launch) is like a hug party for people for like rockets. Most people will do a whole lot more watching than they will launching. Come on down with the LPR/MPR, fly 'em, meet folks, watch some realy cool stuff, shop at the venders' trailers, and have a great time!

Wouldn't be hard at all! A racks will be up and operational. LDRS (or any big national or regional launch) is like a hug party for people for like rockets. Most people will do a whole lot more watching than they will launching. Come on down with the LPR/MPR, fly 'em, meet folks, watch some realy cool stuff, shop at the venders' trailers, and have a great time!
?
A hug party? :p

are you kidding? I would of thought it would be 30K or maybe 21K. What happens if you break the waiver??

I don't know that there would be a legal sort of formal punishment for breaking the waiver but as I understand it waivers are there as a safety measure (someone correct me if I am wrong). So show respect to the waiver and stay under it regardless. Some clubs will kick you out if you knowingly and willfully break it. In other words...DON'T.

I don't know that there would be a legal sort of formal punishment for breaking the waiver but as I understand it waivers are there as a safety measure (someone correct me if I am wrong). So show respect to the waiver and stay under it regardless. Some clubs will kick you out if you knowingly and willfully break it. In other words...DON'T.

As far as I know, there are no legal repercussion for accidentally violating the waiver, unless, of course, you struck a vehicle outside the waiver and caused loss of life or destruction of property. However, as Dave said, clubs do not take kindly to knowing violations of their safety codes and federal regulations. If the club continually violates the waiver, and is caught, no more waivers, no more HPR. And if a flyer willfully violates the waiver, that flyer may lose his membership in the local club, as well as have his certification rescinded by NAR or TRA.

Not the place any of wants to be.

As far as I know, there are no legal repercussion for accidentally violating the waiver, unless, of course, you struck a vehicle outside the waiver and caused loss of life or destruction of property. However, as Dave said, clubs do not take kindly to knowing violations of their safety codes and federal regulations. If the club continually violates the waiver, and is caught, no more waivers, no more HPR. And if a flyer willfully violates the waiver, that flyer may lose his membership in the local club, as well as have his certification rescinded by NAR or TRA.

Not the place any of wants to be.

At the risk of sounding like I am piling on - which I am not trying to do...Violating the waiver could, in fact, ruin HPR all across the USA. One bad event as a result of badly violating the waiver and the FAA could very well say, screw it we don't need that hassle anymore. Or just as bad, our insurance could do the very same thing. No insurance = no flying.

At the risk of sounding like I am piling on - which I am not trying to do...Violating the waiver could, in fact, ruin HPR all across the USA. One bad event as a result of badly violating the waiver and the FAA could very well say, screw it we don't need that hassle anymore. Or just as bad, our insurance could do the very same thing. No insurance = no flying.

If you break the waiver, Bob and Neil take you out to a remote crop field and let the Children of the Corn make you pay. Most come back like zombies and only want to fly Estes Alphas.

Higgs farm is big but it's a small target to hit from over 3 miles high. If you break the waiver you will also probably be coming down on someone else's property, which is discouraged.

If you have easy access (i.e. live within 4 hours or less drive) to LDRS you should definitely make an effort to attend. If you attend LDRS you should plan on flying rockets. Period. Large launch events are a great experience; you sort of get caught-up in the festive frenzy.

No one at LDRS will look down at you if you only fly LPR or MPR rockets.

And definitely YES, there will be a lot of people there. And many vendors. And you can meet some of the "celebrities" of rocketry.

--Lance.

It is only an hour from my house. So it's hard to miss.

Wouldn't be hard at all! A racks will be up and operational. LDRS (or any big national or regional launch) is like a hug party for people for like rockets. Most people will do a whole lot more watching than they will launching. Come on down with the LPR/MPR, fly 'em, meet folks, watch some really cool stuff, shop at the vendors' trailers, and have a great time!

The worry at first was that there would be no A racks with 1/8" and 3/16" rods, or that operations would be skewed towards getting off as much high power stuff as possible... But now that I think about it, the cycle time for LPR / MPR is so much faster it would be unlikely to get in the way anyways.

I tend to fly more than socialize. My current plan is to do 10 flights in one day of the launch across 6 different rockets.

Speaking of, in my efforts to streamline the process... is it possible to print out some flight cards ahead of time? I can't seem to find a PDF on the MDRA website.

Back