Andriod or IPhone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is seriously becoming a tough issue! I looked at the S7 Edge last night and decided i'd be hitting the "edge" frequently by mistake having it do things. So while neat in theory, wouldn't work. My son just bought an Iphone 6. My wife says she wants inexpensive which probably means Android as Iphone, unless old Iphone is what she means.

How about this. WHAT rocketry apps are available for the Apple and What are available for the Android? I'm used to nothing for the Windows Phone, so I'd love to know that - so I can maybe think about what can help me and then guide that way. (I know the Jolly Logic 3 works on Iphone as I used my daughters IPAD to engage mine). Anyway, thanks for all the great responses; look forward to app experiences.

this is seriously becoming a tough issue! I looked at the S7 Edge last night and decided i'd be hitting the "edge" frequently by mistake having it do things. So while neat in theory, wouldn't work. My son just bought an Iphone 6. My wife says she wants inexpensive which probably means Android as Iphone, unless old Iphone is what she means.

How about this. WHAT rocketry apps are available for the Apple and What are available for the Android? I'm used to nothing for the Windows Phone, so I'd love to know that - so I can maybe think about what can help me and then guide that way. (I know the Jolly Logic 3 works on Iphone as I used my daughters IPAD to engage mine). Anyway, thanks for all the great responses; look forward to app experiences.

Check the end of post #6, I listed a number of rocketry related apps, and the JL3 works with Android as well. Also the Eggtimer Quantum works with Android.

I use an iPhone only because that's what my dad has all of us on. I'd prefer to get an android but I take what I can get. :)

Well in the RocketStuff app group on my iPhone I have AltimeterThree, SmartLaunch, Motion-X, Thrust Curve, Rocket Calc, and BlueNose. (That last one is the app to run the Bluetooth controlled launcher that was available for a short time.)

I use SmartLaunch and AltimeterThree the most. Motion-X is for when I finally get my Eggfinder built.

I just changed form my Samsung S2 prepaid with Virgin Mobile to prepaid Verizon LG Transpyre 4G LTE that was on sale for $40. So far it is the best phone I have ever owned (running Android 5.1.1). In my area Verizon has by far the best network.

Last edited:
I've had both Android and iPhones. Have moved away from the iPhones because of the attitude of some/many iPhone owners. They can be insufferable and I'd rather not be associated with that crowd.

That being said, I do have an iPad Air 2 with 128Gb but I rarely if ever take it out in public. And the Apple logo has been replaced with an NRA Life sticker.

I design and maintain software and systems for my day job. I do not want to spend personal time engineering and administering computers and phones, therefore, we have Apple products.

Not sure why so many think Android phones are difficult to set up and maintain.

For example, my LG G3 (available still, new, on Amazon in the low $200s, for several major carriers), took me less than 30 minutes to get the way I like it (with the Google Now launcher, my various Google accounts set up, my various apps installed and restored from backup in the cloud, my ringtones and alerts in place).

Sure, I've added and removed apps since then, as one is likely to do with a smart phone, but I've spent no time in engineering or administration once I set it up.

One thing I like about this phone, and many other Android phones I've had, is the multicolor notification LED. PAired with the app LightFlow, it can be set to blink different colors depending on which notifications are waiting for you. So, with the phone silent and not vibrating, I can still glance at it and see what's waiting. I have it set so that if there's a text waiting, I get a rapid orange blink. Slower purple blink means email at my family gmail account. Blue means my personal email has a message waiting. And of course these work in sequence if I have text and email both waiting, and so on. Multicolored LEDs are a "must have" for any phone I get. No iPhone ever implemented them, more's the pity.

Marc

I don't see the big deal. Maybe I don't do enough complex stuff. My whole family has Cricket service (5 for $100, 2.5GB per line, ATT Network) We already had 2 Iphones and just added 3 Androids when we switched. We all talk, text, share pictures, send documents and whatever other normal stuff you do with phones. I never had to program or set up anything except download the apps I wanted and enter my password for Netflix, Amazon, Gmail, etc.

Do you use Google and their apps a lot? Cause if your getting a new phone, look into Google Fi. https://fi.google.com
Android generally works better with google I think, especially if it is a nexus.
I love google stuff, google master-race for me.:)

iTunes and the cost is the big reason why I don't like iphones. Last and only iPhone I owned was a 3. Of course, as an IT guy at a school and college, I have handled them all. iOs to me is "To Simple" and obsolete. For example, every single device out there but iOS allows you the option to show the wifi password as you type it in. Small thing, I know, but when I have to routinely enter wifi passwords in peoples devices that becomes a pain in the butt. Also, we require the use of covenant eyes on byod using our internet, and with the limits of iOS, I have to put restrictions on their phone, ipod, ipad that prevents them from installing and removing apps, and disables Safari. So if students want to install apps on their device, they have to come see me. Android OS does not have this limitation, since it allows software more access to the phone. My first Android Phone was a Moto g 1st gen. Was a great phone, and recently started acting up, so I replaced it with a Blu Live XL. What a piece of junk. Now I am using a Moto G 3rd Generate. Much better phone. Cheap phone, gets the job done. My ex gf had a Moto E 2nd Gen. Was a good phone till she broke it one to many times (I kept replacing the screen on it). Now she got one of those Blu Live XL. Will I ever get an iPhone in the future? I don't know. Probably not. (I use Cricket for service)

Do you use Google and their apps a lot? Cause if your getting a new phone, look into Google Fi. https://fi.google.com
Android generally works better with google I think, especially if it is a nexus.
I love google stuff, google master-race for me.:)

I am Microsoft Centric in all of my preferred apps, storage, etc. I'll have to have a google account if I go android, but will only store/use my current apps if available. Most of what I need has been ported to IOS and Android now anyway.

iTunes and the cost is the big reason why I don't like iphones. Last and only iPhone I owned was a 3. Of course, as an IT guy at a school and college, I have handled them all. iOs to me is "To Simple" and obsolete. For example, every single device out there but iOS allows you the option to show the wifi password as you type it in. Small thing, I know, but when I have to routinely enter wifi passwords in peoples devices that becomes a pain in the butt. Also, we require the use of covenant eyes on byod using our internet, and with the limits of iOS, I have to put restrictions on their phone, ipod, ipad that prevents them from installing and removing apps, and disables Safari. So if students want to install apps on their device, they have to come see me. Android OS does not have this limitation, since it allows software more access to the phone. My first Android Phone was a Moto g 1st gen. Was a great phone, and recently started acting up, so I replaced it with a Blu Live XL. What a piece of junk. Now I am using a Moto G 3rd Generate. Much better phone. Cheap phone, gets the job done. My ex gf had a Moto E 2nd Gen. Was a good phone till she broke it one to many times (I kept replacing the screen on it). Now she got one of those Blu Live XL. Will I ever get an iPhone in the future? I don't know. Probably not. (I use Cricket for service)

Thanks. I've pretty much settled if I go android I'm looking at the S7 (not edge). Still tough though. IF all the Rocketry apps were available on IOS, I would most likely go there due to an earlier experience with my Motorola Android years ago. anyway. I'm really thinking the S7 may be the ultimate way I'm going to go.

Back