L1 1.6" Madcow DX3 Build-Just Launched

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screw switch mounted below the tracker board and accessed through a hole in the nose cone shoulder. Look into the pictures for the 54mm cone.

275106239.jpg

Screw switch mounted below the tracker board and accessed through a hole in the nose cone shoulder. Look into the pictures for the 54mm cone.

275106239.jpg
Very Nice, I like. Will also get this when building a 2.6 for L2, I think when I go down to Manchester in the fall with my club member and teacher I will buy the reload from Chris as I've heard nothing but good and also talk to him for a while about motors, I'm very interested in Loki's stuff for MD. I also will be getting switches and batteries from him later on. Don't know the date of L1 launch and possible L2 but will probably September or October. Also may pick up some wild man man stuff as they are there also. Anyone on here part of the music city or HARA club?

Also I know NAR has a junior L1 for under 18 year olds but does Tripoli have this requirement as well or will I be able to get L2 as well through them?

Also I know NAR has a junior L1 for under 18 year olds but does Tripoli have this requirement as well or will I be able to get L2 as well through them?

Tripoli has its Tripoli Mentoring Program which is similar to the NAR Junior L1. The major difference is that the Junior member in this may start at age 12 instead of NAR's 14 and there's a test the Junior member must take in order to access high power pads.
https://www.tripoli.org/TMP
I'm not sure what your question is about L2.

Tripoli has its Tripoli Mentoring Program which is similar to the NAR Junior L1. The major difference is that the Junior member in this may start at age 12 instead of NAR's 14 and there's a test the Junior member must take in order to access high power pads.
https://www.tripoli.org/TMP
I'm not sure what your question is about L2.

Will I be able to attain L2 as well or will I be restricted to L1?

In the TMP, you learn to build and fly rockets with a Mentor. You don't actually have any certification level, but you are allowed to participate with your Mentor at whatever level she or he is certified and competent. Your mentor is the actual flyer and owns and builds the motors, which is required in order to remain legal.
In NAR Junior L1, your are provisionally L1, but unable to possess or build motors. Once you turn 18 you are L1. You may not participate in L2 flights as a Junior L1 NAR .

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

In the TMP, you learn to build and fly rockets with a Mentor. You don't actually have any certification level, but you are allowed to participate with your Mentor at whatever level she or he is certified and competent. Your mentor is the actual flyer and owns and builds the motors, which is required in order to remain legal.
In NAR Junior L1, your are provisionally L1, but unable to possess or build motors. Once you turn 18 you are L1. You may not participate in L2 flights as a Junior L1 NAR .

Ah so I definitely will get junior L1 from NAR. The test to join TMP won't be difficult I believe. So after reading about TMP, I can build HPR rockets with a mentors help or advice without them technically being there, and can use email to communicate or go to launches for updates. BUT legally, the mentor has to construct and put in the engine and igniter etc. in order to launch it.

So technically if my mentor is L3, I can construct a rocket that uses an L3 motor through his/her advise as long as they deal with the engine.

Ah so I definitely will get junior L1 from NAR. The test to join TMP won't be difficult I believe. So after reading about TMP, I can build HPR rockets with a mentors help or advice without them technically being there, and can use email to communicate or go to launches for updates. BUT legally, the mentor has to construct and put in the engine and igniter etc. in order to launch it.

So technically if my mentor is L3, I can construct a rocket that uses an L3 motor through his/her advise as long as they deal with the engine.

That's how I understand it also. The TMP test pool is published and part of the TRA L2 test, so it helps you build a foundation of knowledge.

Got another set of fillets done today. Called apogee once again as well about the altimeter well.......They've shipped it alright and the people at the front desk seem to have misplaced it this whole time...:facepalm::eyeroll: I will rummage through the mail room on Friday for a desperate search.

I also think I have been able to answer my own questions so far and will be using 3/32 holes as vents. I think I will be gluing a form of tube to the sled and the using bolts to keep it on. I can't work with the sled till I get the altimeter.

New question, do you recommend a screw switch for the altimeter or should I just turn it on and then place it on the pad?

Especially with a rocket that diameter, a screw switch will take up a lot of space and will get in the way. I have become a strong believer in "twist and tuck". Run a set of wires for a "switch" through the vent hole. At the pad, strip a section of the wire, twist them together tightly, then tuck the wire back into the airframe. You will save a lot of space, and you will avoid issues with a screw switch not working. This is a bit of old school rocketry but it works.

My son earned a NAR Jr. L1 last year. He still needs an 18-year-old L1+ to build the motor and insert the igniter at the pad. BTW he used a Rocketry Warehouse 54mm Formula... not much larger than yours. It flew to 2,800'. We had a beeline tracker onboard and I had him use a Yagi antenna to find it. You should definitely consider some sort of tracker for yours. After all... to earn your certification, you have to recover your rocket and you will lose sight of it before it reaches apogee.

I do like your thinking. The NAR Jr. L1 is a little more formal, but the TRA TMP allows you, with a mentor's help, to challenge yourself with bigger rockets.

Especially with a rocket that diameter, a screw switch will take up a lot of space and will get in the way. I have become a strong believer in "twist and tuck". Run a set of wires for a "switch" through the vent hole. At the pad, strip a section of the wire, twist them together tightly, then tuck the wire back into the airframe. You will save a lot of space, and you will avoid issues with a screw switch not working. This is a bit of old school rocketry but it works.

Twist and tape is okay, where the wires remain taped outside of the rocket so they can be disconnected if need be. Twist and tuck is not a good choice. If you have to remove your rocket from the pad unflown, you have no safe way to turn off your electronics.

Good point. I generally tuck the insulated wire in, but leave the twisted wire exposed.

Thank you all for the replies. Im giving a current update on the build and where it stands. I have ordered all of the necessary parts for it except the GPS and decals. They should be coming this week and are shipments from Apogee, Chris's rocketry, and then APE RC(Chris Attebery). All I need to do is build the sleds, drill holes in the bulkheads of the av-bay for ejection charges, and drill the countersink holes for the NC shoulder. I am starting to spray primer on the fin-can tomorrow after giving it a sanding.

Today i was able to drill holes for the rail buttons and after temporarily installing them, they look straight. One through the bottom CR and one at the CP. Ive gone with Screw switches judging by how I will not be jamming into the Av bay and should have room.

My question for now is should the rail buttons be able to spin or should they be locked in place?

Edit.....Ahhhhhhhh I forgot about shear pins and did not order them:facepalm: Should I use two or three shear pins?

Last edited:
It has been awhile since posting about this build. Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help. The rocket has been finished for awhile now. Here are the pics:
FullSizeRender (6).jpgFullSizeRender (7).jpg
Paint looks pretty good for a first try. I used Future(Pledge) finish for the clear coat and it came out with minimal streaks.

I think our first launch will be with an adapter kit for the 29mm engine for a smaller reload so we can get to about 1500'. Have yet to order the eggfinder and hopefully on the maiden we can get used to that system. I upgraded the main from 18" to 24" as one other member did on his Tomach just for precaution.

Would like to give a special thanks to Mark from stickershock23.com for having great customer service and great product.

The scheduled launch date is October 8. With Mc2 in Manchester TN.

This rocket flew out at Southern Thunder in Manchester Tennessee this past weekend. I have to say it was a fantastic day except for all the mud. The rocket flew with an Easymini and a TeleGPS in the nose cone for the pretty ballsy cert flight. My club supervisor attempted to cert with the rocket, and if I do say one thing, the rocket wouldn't have even got off the pad without Mr. Craig Brooks of (I believe) the Birmingham Rocket Boys. With a H180 loaded in the casing, the rocket had a beautiful boost. The drogue deployed at apogee, but sadly the main did not and came down with only with the drogue. The cause for this was determined to be a tight pack of the main parachute in the body as it did not eject. The rocket was recovered perfectly fine, with only a couple scratches on the nose cone as it stuck itself in some soft mud. Sadly it was a not a certified flight due to the main.

On the descent, for some reason, the TeleGPS stopped transmitting data to the TeleBT. I believe the GPS became unlocked. Thankfully, the rocket landed in a visible location. I'll be attaching both the Easy Mini Data and also TeleGPS data below.
Launch 1 Easy.png
Launch 1 GPS.png

I am still wondering why the GPS became unlocked, as it stopped transmitting data on the descent.

Here is the link to the youtube video:

[video=youtube;qRxeCiumkvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRxeCiumkvM[/video]

This rocket flew out at Southern Thunder in Manchester Tennessee this past weekend. I have to say it was a fantastic day except for all the mud. The rocket flew with an Easymini and a TeleGPS in the nose cone for the pretty ballsy cert flight. My club supervisor attempted to cert with the rocket, and if I do say one thing, the rocket wouldn't have even got off the pad without Mr. Craig Brooks of (I believe) the Birmingham Rocket Boys. With a H180 loaded in the casing, the rocket had a beautiful boost. The drogue deployed at apogee, but sadly the main did not and came down with only with the drogue. The cause for this was determined to be a tight pack of the main parachute in the body as it did not eject. The rocket was recovered perfectly fine, with only a couple scratches on the nose cone as it stuck itself in some soft mud. Sadly it was a not a certified flight due to the main.

On the descent, for some reason, the TeleGPS stopped transmitting data to the TeleBT. I believe the GPS became unlocked. Thankfully, the rocket landed in a visible location. I'll be attaching both the Easy Mini Data and also TeleGPS data below.
View attachment 322908
View attachment 322909

I am still wondering why the GPS became unlocked, as it stopped transmitting data on the descent.

Awesome launch, and beautiful build. I am considering this rocket for a 29mm hybrid build...

Last edited:
Back