TRF Summer Build Off: "Jack-in-the-Box"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you can see in the last photo I am thinking of using some thin aluminum tubing for a rod sleeve inside the foam ball and having it protrude a bit to provide a "pseudo" nose cone shoulder on which I can slide over some 13mm paper tubing that is attached to the conical nose cone. I know that is using horrendous metal parts and could be the subject of much contest adjudication, but now I am thinking I might go even further, extending the metal tubing all the way to the bottom of the telescoping box tubes.

This would help in a couple of ways. First, it is hard to load the tapeworm on the rod since you have to look down the center line hole and line up the rod end on, then push it though. Extending the tube down would make getting it on the rod much easier and avoid embarrassing positions one has to take while loading up the tapeworm, which can draw even more comments from bewildered onlookers. I could call it an "Anti-Poking Your Eye Out While Loading Rocket On The Rod Safety Feature." In short, I would be going from no launch lug to the longest metal launch lug in history. Second, with an actual nose blow recovery system on this rocket I am thinking it will come down more horizontal than the tape worm, which just bounces off the ground on the Styrofoam ball after a vertical descent. Could having an actual, dedicated recovery system on such a rocket be a bad thing? With more of a horizontal "Mean Machine" landing Jack will need to be stiffer. The tapeworm is BT60 reinforced with a coupler and water bottles and has worked well, no crimped or damaged tube. I think a metal spine rod & centering rings may be needed for additional stiffness and durability for Jack.

The Scare Crow needed a brain. The Tin Man needed a heart. Does poor Jack-in-the-Box need a metal reinforcement tube down his spine? Ouch!

Would such metal be SUBSTANTIAL? Will the Pad Fuhrer chastise me, telling me to actually read the hand book instead of just looking at the pictures. Oh no, not more Pink Book Lawyering in contests! The metal tubing could be covered up until deployment, but I guess if the Pad Fuhrer saw a glint of metal in the sky there would be Hades to Pay.

Why do rocket folks always need metal to reinforce their massive, big motor and high speed projects? Golly, with this rocket am I now in the "metal parts club" that includes the Big Boys delaminating carbon fiber nose cones and ripping off fins near MACH 3? Yeah, I needed some aluminum for this bad boy build! No, it wasn't a fin can or nose cone tip, it was a big booty launch lug! That would surely make me cool talking with the top men . . . Right?:cool:

Does it have to be horrendous metal? Why not super expensive carbon fiber tube? Stiff ABS Plastic tube? Paper tube with light glass? Do any of these options make any real difference as to frangibility? This rocket science stuff can be hard!

I can see it now! Jack In The Box flying Lightening Rod. Just make sure that bird flies early in the day before we get the storms brewing in the area. Otherwise I can see a smoke trail and that "rod" making for a nice path to ground for a bolt or two. The Pad Fuehrer might pull out the Long Knives.

I can see it now! Jack In The Box flying Lightening Rod. Just make sure that bird flies early in the day before we get the storms brewing in the area. Otherwise I can see a smoke trail and that "rod" making for a nice path to ground for a bolt or two. The Pad Fuehrer might pull out the Long Knives.

It will only be test flown in good conditions. Do not want to invoke P F wrath!

If this works, I suggest you make another one...have it shaped like a large can (you can use rocket body tubes!), name it "Mixed Nuts" or "Peanut Brittle", and have a giant snake rocket come out! :lol:
[video=youtube;Ui80pcWfkhk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui80pcWfkhk[/video]

If this works, I suggest you make another one...have it shaped like a large can (you can use rocket body tubes!), name it "Mixed Nuts" or "Peanut Brittle", and have a giant snake rocket come out! :lol:
[video=youtube;Ui80pcWfkhk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui80pcWfkhk[/video]

A tube launched version would be great.

Jib 50.jpg
Tubes laid out to make BT 60 super tube, Cut one for coupler, glue it in and keep on going. Start with short left over piece for coupler to leave space for custom centering ring and attachment space for tail.

Jib 51.jpg
Thick walled BT 60 tube under construction. Using grabby Titebond but what the heck. Just use ample glue and don't dilly dally around! No problem.

Jib 52.jpg
CA up an Estes paper centering ring, drill a hole and custom centering finished and installed in a jiff.

Jib 53.jpg
Shove the tube into the foam, mark the indent

Jib 54.jpg
Hack a grove.

Jib 55.jpg
Glue it up. Used some Gorilla glue for the first time on the sleeve portion in the foam. Silicone on the neck, a dab of epoxy on the centering ring to launch lug.

Jib 57.jpg
Epoxy in 13mm tube for nose cone shoulder.

Jib 56.jpg
Launch lug tube cut with pipe cutter for rounded safety end

Jib 58.jpg
All ready to go.

Jib 59.jpg
Think I need to cut the hat for a better fit round the motor tubes. Design on the fly.

Jib 60.jpg
Mix up some JB Plastic Weld clay

Jib 61.jpg
Cap the nose cone

Jib 62.jpg
Attach Kevlar

Jib 63.jpg
Epoxy in big tab after roughing hard to stick to interior of cone.

Jib 64.jpg
JB Weld metal epoxy clay set for super strong shock cord anchor bridge. Weighty you might say, but who cares? It is in the right place, at the top of the rocket, so weight doesn't matter.

Jib 65.jpg
The awesome BT 101 has arrived! Thanks Dan! Fits so good I think I will use the tube all the way up to the ball. Motor burn looks minimal even with it going all the way to the top.

Thinking of stuffing in 2 chutes, one attached just aft of the nose cone and one attached close to the foam ball. Will try hard to get the nose, long shock cord, body and tail to fall horizontally. The coming down part is always the hardest.

Thinking of stuffing in 2 chutes, one attached just aft of the nose cone and one attached close to the foam ball. Will try hard to get the nose, long shock cord, body and tail to fall horizontally. The coming down part is always the hardest.

No, not yet. I think I will rework the telescope attachment method, gluing the strings on the outside to make it easier. Maybe a crank handle fin? I was thinking a black and white paint scheme for maximum contrast. I still think I am going to set a rather large separation between tubes for max effect. Maybe some trim on the hat for more recovery room for the chutes. Maybe some jack in the box music played before the launch. Glitter on launch or ejection would have to be echo friendly.

JIB 70.jpg
Make some home made marking guides, use some commercial ones.

JIB 71.jpg
Get out your favorite BBQ lighter to melt the nylon string ends.

JIB 72.jpg
Drill hole with Xacto, wrap string through and glue.

JIB 73.jpg
Finished one, three to go.

JIB 74.jpg
Tie strings off to avoid tangling.

JIB 75.jpg
First telescope tube on.

JIB 76.jpg
Repeat on second tube.

JIB 77.jpg
Second tube done. Using up the CA glue!

JIB 78.jpg
All done with little product to spare. Very efficient use of material because of good planning.

JIB 79.jpg
I won't bore you guys with the very high level of advanced math required for a project such as this. Needless to say yer gonna need lots of nylon string, a real super string calculation.

Last edited:
JIB 80.jpg
Nose fin on, balsa covered in label paper

JIB 81.jpg
Jack hung out on the patio to dry after quick black and white shake and shoot.

JIB 82.jpg
Back side could be another face but that might be too scary, like Jack is from the Underverse.

JIB 85.jpg
Googly eyes on.

JIB 86.jpg
Gave Jack the full Little Richard look. No rocket of mine will be follically impaired, a full load of curly locks for Jackl

JIB 87.jpg
Rocket fin cut for the nose.

JIB 88.jpg
Finished up.

JIB 89.jpg
Profile, will nose fin counter act curly hair on drag?

Attachments

• JIB 83.jpg
    JIB 83.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 44
  • JIB 84.jpg
    JIB 84.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 43
JIB 91.jpg
Reinforce bottom of BT 101 tube with CA.

JIB 92.jpg
Preliminary attempt to find CG. Wanted just under Jack's nose, but it turns out the CG has some bite, coming in mid teeth. I asked Jack if he would tell me where the CG had to be to make him stable, he replied "Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin!"

I asked my daughter if she thought Jack was cute, she said he was spooky. Guess with all the "Chucky" movies and Steven King TV miniseries, clowns are not as fun for the Millennials.

JIB 93.jpg
I let Jack stretch out on the couch and relax, hoping he could Mindsim stability for himself. Meanwhile my Dreamsims were coming in with visions of land snakes. Hopesim still shows possibility of grievous harm.

JIB 95.jpg
Rookie Jack hangs out with Old Eagle Von Schliech after his second successful flight

Last edited:
Ooooo... That's kinda scary lookin'. Smiling like one of those evil clowns :y:

JIB 92.jpg ----
stab_emoticon___hp329.gif

Last edited:
Ooooo... That's kinda scary lookin'. Smiling like one of those evil clowns :y:

View attachment 293977 ----
stab_emoticon___hp329.gif

Just a friendly, toothy grin from the Jack in the box. No way is he going to surprise you, like popping out of the box. Reminds me of scene in Elf where Will Ferrel is scared every time he tests a jack in the box at Santa's workshop. Then there is always Charlie in the box from Rudolf.

Just a friendly, toothy grin from the Jack in the box. No way is he going to surprise you, like popping out of the box. Reminds me of scene in Elf where Will Ferrel is scared every time he tests a jack in the box at Santa's workshop. Then there is always Charlie in the box from Rudolf.

Or Chucky?!

shopping-1.jpg

Nightmare visions such as this have to be kept from the RSO's mind. Only friendly, kid loving clowns from his baby boomer childhood days can pervade his thoughts when I bring this rocket up to the table.

Maybe some black cheek dots to make him look more like a harmless Paris mime? A Jester hat with bells. . . no that would not work topping a rocket.

Back