TRF Summer Build Off: "Jack-in-the-Box"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The damage on the CSM's tail looks very minor. A few seconds of CA and it is back in the air. Hardly any soot as well! Is eleven motor, (8 tractor and 3 mid cant,) asymmetrically designed , ekranoplan flying going to be kid tested, mother approved?

KID: "Hey MOM, I am going over to the park with little Ricky to launch his ekranoplan."

MOM: " That's fine dear, just don't use all the baby wipes!"

All I basically did was remove a little damadged paper and swab on some gooey wood glue. Just the right amount of frangibility!

With the burn bans still in effect nothing is being launched locally, I started to feel like this guy:463px-Eraserhead.jpg What can be done? The only answer is to close your eyes, click your heels together three times and wish really, really hard: "THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE ESTESLAND!" Then you simply follow the yellow brick road and you are there! SCORE! CHILI BLASTER! A launch actually happening in the State! Headin' on down to Hudson Ranch, Yippee! Beautiful country outside Pueblo.

Show Jack to the SCORE boys and get a pad assignment, put Jack on the thick long 3/8" rod, load Jack on the away pad, insert your last old style Q2G2's, say a short prayer and then;

[video=youtube;HxNV7ImT42s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxNV7ImT42s&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Jack in the box post launch 1.jpg

Jack landed real close to the pad. No damage!

Jack in the box post launch 2.jpg

Thanks to my Home Boy Fred for helping me to get Jack set up.

Jack in the box post launch.jpg

Jack got a lot of stickers in his hair. Will need a complete comb through.

Overall the flight went just as my mindsim for Windows 95 had predicted. No need for all the pre-launch nervousness. Flew the way any Duces should. It did telescope under all that F 15 smoke. The nose cone drag separated and deployed before the ejection charges went off, but all that drag on from the tail made it slow down real fast so all was fine on the way down. This rocket doesn't need silly ejection charges, it will fly just fine on plugged F15 -0's. Next time I am up before the Pad Fuhrer I will say "Yes Sir. no ejection charges required to fly this odd roc safely." On second thought, that might not go over so well.

I was beginning to think that Jack wouldn't fly until winter. Keep the video on your phone so you can convince the Pad Fuhrer that he is harmless.

I was beginning to think that Jack wouldn't fly until winter. Keep the video on your phone so you can convince the Pad Fuhrer that he is harmless.

It does look like winter time for a launch here in the Metro area. Our Scout groups are piling up with all the cancellations. If we do have a launch it will be getting hundreds of Scout rockets in the air. No room for silly oddrocs for awhile. Yes, Jack is just a happy go lucky, harmless kind of toy.

The mindsim force has been strong in me of late. Eventually, I will turn back to the dark side :dark:

Good job with the flight! Glad you were able to find a solution to the burn ban problem. Less than a week to go for everyone to get their flight in!

Good job with the flight! Glad you were able to find a solution to the burn ban problem. Less than a week to go for everyone to get their flight in!

Thanks! The solution was to head south to a club with a private launch site and a big annual event. The burn ban has recently been lifted in Park County as well. So off to South Park this upcoming weekend! Things are getting better all the time:)

Jack with a proud and slightly nervous Daddy

View attachment 299852

Jack looks a bit scary...

Scary-Clown-scary-clowns-21187671-300-290.jpg

Headin' on down to South Park on the 28th for the Tripoli research launch. Two F 15 0's already plugged and ready to go. Still might be able to score 2 old style Q2G2's, but if not it will be old black tip Estes igniters from an 18mm motor package. Loving that slow speed drag separation. Loving that little bit of extra power from the plugged red label motors motors, even less fire danger to boot!

Plugging motors! Egads, man, banish yourself to the bunker!

Little low power toy Jack in the Box will just be a warm up launch for the Tripoli research boys. With Jack, ejection charges are just for pyrotechnic effect. With all the down time from the burn bans I hope they have had enough time to home brew up some big and interesting composite motors. Maybe even a hybrid or tribrid, all depends on who can make the drive up.

Second flight at Tripoli Colorado yesterday:

VIDEO:

[video]https://youtu.be/9_6nnNNgGrE[/video]

[video=youtube;9_6nnNNgGrE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6nnNNgGrE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Jack in the Box landing Hartsel.jpgJack in the box burn 2.jpgJack in the box burn.jpg

Drag separation recovery worked fine, even in the thin air of Hartsel. Caught a bit of burn at take off on the outer tube just where one of the nylon cords attached, so the bottom BT 101 telescope tube went up on three cords, making for even more drag. Flew a bit higher with the thinner air and maybe a bit more power and less weight from the plugged motors. Deployment was a bit slower but maybe again the thin air and a tighter chute wrap than a week before. The good thing is it will fly on Hobby Lobby motors.

Last edited:
But I do love a good 0FNC!

Thanks. Gotta get me some of that clustered, canted, tractor and plugged motor action. 0 fins, drag separation recovery with a telescoping tail and googly eyes too boot. Small and Harmless Rocket Ship. Later on the weather cleared up for the big stuff which was awesome. Great day at the launch then some Texas style BBQ.

Thanks to the Tripoli guys and even the Pad Fuhrer who drove up to be at the launch. Thanks to all the other Home Boys who helped me out.

Here is a video I took of Dave's 1st launch of Jack-in-the-box @ Chili Blaster in Pueblo. Sorry I did not track it all that well.
[YOUTUBE]l919Bi2MaXo[/YOUTUBE]

Make sure you watch the video at 0.25x real time. The angle is perfect to see the canted tractor motor action!

Globbed the broken nylon string back together with CA, lost maybe half an inch in length but it should not affect flight performance, BT 101 still hangs straight. Had to tear up about half an inch of string on the exterior of the next tube in order to get the BT 101 to seat properly again so Jack could stand upright on the floor.

Jack in the box scar.jpg

Jack showing off his flight scar.

Jak in the box with steeker.jpg

Jack hanging out with Skeeterrific, who also had a zipper from being launched on a CTI F30 longburn. These dudes think their scars make them look tough and more attractive to the ladies!

So, after two flights what have I learned and what can be done to improve the concept.

What is that you are saying Jack?. . . Build a Jill in the Box?:wink: Naughty Jack!

I was thinking using square tube or balsa box fins.

Channeled kevlar for more burn resistant tail shrouds.

Plugged motors could be mounted higher with drag separation recovery, just have to stay away from NAR events!

Less smoky composite motors.

Higher level of finish, a crank fin, a music chip like on a greeting card.

Nomex cloth or mylar foil on the tail tube interstages instead of strings for more structure with less twist and flutter during flight.

Pyrotechnic effects - day or night, stay away from NAR and Tripoli events, hang out at the Pyro Club where "recovery" is a seldom heard word.

Night version with LEDs!

Upscale? Downscale?

Still thinking a telescoping Rattle Snake with a real rattle on the end would be cool.

A flying Matryoshka doll, you can always step down the telescope as well as stepping up like on Jack. Stacked cups would work that way too.

R2D2 with telescoping legs, just like the real one when they are in an XWing fighter.

A medieval illustration comet rocket.

A telescoping Hammer Head shark. You know where the motors would go! You would get a nice swimming action through the air! SHARKNADO!

A POP THAT ZIT rocket! Oh now that is just too gross!

And for Halloween there is always Oliver Cromwell's head on a spike!

Oliver_Cromwell's_head,_late_1700s.jpg

Last edited:
Back