TRF Summer Build Off: "Jack-in-the-Box"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chances of flying at CRASH are one in a million, so there is still a chance!:):):)

Dumb.jpg

Talked with the Tripoli Prefect and there is an even greater chance of flying at Hartsel the next day. YIPPEE!:smile::smile::smile:

Dumb-and-Dumber-3.jpg

Cool! I scored my a10s so there is a chance the Baby CSM will fly too!

For those who may be confused, click on Dick Stafford's "The Original Rocket Dungeon" blog link above and look up Chesapeake Sea Monster. An Ekranoplan model using 11 motors, eight of them tractor, the other three mid cant! Way too naughty for TRF!

Ha, I was just reading Dick's blog and never connect his name with rstaff3 until just now... :facepalm:

Yes, CSM is awesome, in either small or large variety.

Yeah, but yours worked. If mine doesn't it most certainly won't be tame!

Now all we need is a little ball that bounces to the tune...

THIRSTY! THIRSTY! WE NEED THIRSTY!
Thirsty helps to keeps things weird!

THIRSTY! THIRSTY! WE NEED THIRSTY! Thirsty helps to keeps things weird!

THIRSTY! THIRSTY! WE NEED THIRSTY! Thirsty a rocketeer with the beard!

The Baby CSM flew! Launch report with video will be on my blog tonight.

Both CRASH and Tripoli canceled due to fire bans:( Not looking good here in the Great American desert for a rocket launch any time soon:(:( Either have to go rogue or hitch the oxen to the wagon and head back to Eastern Kansas.

That sucks. My launch is this weekend. Since Saturday, I've been checking at least twice a day to see which day will have the better weather. It has been flopping between rainy both days, OK one but not the other, and both good. Good meaning there would at most be scattered thunder boomers in the late day. Checking, as always, is a fool's errand. I will have to wait until Friday PM to get a better feel. Barring something that is not at all on my radar, the CSM should fly at some point. FINALLY!

That sucks. My launch is this weekend. Since Saturday, I've been checking at least twice a day to see which day will have the better weather. It has been flopping between rainy both days, OK one but not the other, and both good. Good meaning there would at most be scattered thunder boomers in the late day. Checking, as always, is a fool's errand. I will have to wait until Friday PM to get a better feel. Barring something that is not at all on my radar, the CSM should fly at some point. FINALLY!

YIPPEE! You are so lucky to live in an area of high humidity and the lovely green green grass of home. Best of luck with the MONSTER!

Maybe I can get some old dudes out to a park for some flying as well.

Now all we need is a little ball that bounces to the tune...

THIRSTY! THIRSTY! WE NEED THIRSTY!
Thirsty helps to keeps things weird!

THIRSTY! THIRSTY! WE NEED THIRSTY! Thirsty helps to keeps things weird!

THIRSTY! THIRSTY! WE NEED THIRSTY! Thirsty a rocketeer with the beard!

:( I guess Thirsty doesn't live here anymore:( Maybe we used up all the PODS, I mean PUNS. Maybe he just needs the PERFECT CHEER!

[video=youtube;NFAcxO9ss7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFAcxO9ss7M[/video]

Well, I'm gonna continue my disgraceful hijack of this thread. The CSM flew, and flew well! I'm beginning to think large clustered airplanes are too easy. It's like they fly themselves.

Ignitions duties were handle by three soldered igniter assemblies using the old Q2G2's and the club's Cluster Buck. The ground level wind was still and the boost was arrow straight. All eleven motors ignited. Ejection occurred around apogee and it landed very close by. The large rear fin set popped off...no surprise here. There was a little soot here and there, but baby wipes took care of that. I got Peter to shoot video it so that should show up within a few weeks.

20160716_122304.jpg20160716_123416.jpg

Daddy, are you sure you don't need a slip on fin can for jack? You know I got that skill as I did for the Gemini Titan. 0106131549.jpg

Well, I'm gonna continue my disgraceful hijack of this thread. The CSM flew, and flew well! I'm beginning to think large clustered airplanes are too easy. It's like they fly themselves.

Ignitions duties were handle by three soldered igniter assemblies using the old Q2G2's and the club's Cluster Buck. The ground level wind was still and the boost was arrow straight. All eleven motors ignited. Ejection occurred around apogee and it landed very close by. The large rear fin set popped off...no surprise here. There was a little soot here and there, but baby wipes took care of that. I got Peter to shoot video it so that should show up within a few weeks.

View attachment 297064View attachment 297065

Yippee! Can't wait to see the video! Congratulations!

I'm shocked how straight it flew. I blame the motors near the nose.

Back