TRF Summer Build Off: Der V-Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got home from work this afternoon and the excitement was high. The rain held off in our area and initial weather observations were favorable. The range box and rods were loaded in the truck, my boy and I grabbed a quick bite to eat and we headed out, right after I dropped another 21 grams of weight in the nose. Upon arrival at the park, we got the pad set up, took the pre-launch photo, prepped the motor and got it on the pad. With my son at the controls, we were ready to launch...5...4...3...2...1

[video=youtube_share;jY3HZF4VpHw]https://youtu.be/jY3HZF4VpHw[/video]

So, I screwed up the chute when I packed it but the rocket landed on soft ground behind the ball field so it was a repack and relaunch...5...4...3...2...1

[video=youtube_share;ycuSK6lhL6M]https://youtu.be/ycuSK6lhL6M[/video]

Before Launch
Der V-Max.jpg

After launch
Post Launch 2.1.jpgPost Launch 2.jpg

You can see some corkscrew on the launch which I think was caused by the ring fin that wasn't exactly circular. Otherwise, we had two beautiful launches. On the first launch, I didn't repack the chute at the field and had a parawad recovery into tall grass. The second launch recovered on concrete and the F15-6 delay was too long, I went with the -6 due to the weight in anticipation of more coast after burnout, I'll go with the -4 after repairs/reconfiguration.

The prang may disqualify my entry but it did fly twice and I had a blast doing the build. Thank you all for your ideas and interest. Most of all thanks to Scotty_Dog for getting this rolling.

Launched on an F-15-6. Delay was too long and the shroud lines ripped from the chute during recovery.

Congratulations! The first flight was successful enough to do a second flight, I'd say that qualifies. Glad you were able to get the launch in before the deadline.

Bummer. It was fun following this build.:clap:

I appreciate that Dick. The damage isn't too bad, I can just cut, splice and repaint (the finish really needs help!). After seeing the corkscrew, I am debating whether or not to do more than just splice it and send it back up, I kind of want to clean that up. Then again, I have something in mind that will more closely resemble a DRM/V-2 mash up...with my own flair and I can keep the original as is.

First flight was a safe recovery so I think you're good. I'm thinking the corkscrew action at high speed probably kept down the altitude and then made the delay a bit long. Interesting flight, hurts to see it prang on the second.

Great job. Fix it up and improve, all part of the fun. The LPR plastic chutes just can't take the beating so time to move up to a MPR nylon chute.

I just didn't think about a nylon chute until too late. I have a couple but they were too big as is for the field conditions yesterday as is and I didn't think about reefing the chute until I was at the field and had chosen to leave the nylon at home, lesson learned, always bring extra recovery gear. I think that the plastic may have survived if I had the -4 motors but a 13oz rocket does warrant more durable laundry.

Maybe I can come up with an evolution down the road that uses a trio of tractor motors and a tapeworm tail:wink:

I just didn't think about a nylon chute until too late. I have a couple but they were too big as is for the field conditions yesterday as is and I didn't think about reefing the chute until I was at the field and had chosen to leave the nylon at home, lesson learned, always bring extra recovery gear. I think that the plastic may have survived if I had the -4 motors but a 13oz rocket does warrant more durable laundry.

Maybe I can come up with an evolution down the road that uses a trio of tractor motors and a tapeworm tail:wink:

That would be cool. The best part with tractor motors and a long tail you don't have to worry about silly parachutes or recovery systems!:)

Just thought that I would post the repair here

Damage is cut off and a balsa block is glued to the cone.
20160828_195432.jpg

Splice added to the airframe (I added an inch) and balsa/epoxy filler on the cone to fill the seam on the cone.
20160828_220744.jpg

Just thought that I would post the repair here

Damage is cut off and a balsa block is glued to the cone.
View attachment 300318

Splice added to the airframe (I added an inch) and balsa/epoxy filler on the cone to fill the seam on the cone.
View attachment 300319

Hey your work desk looks like mine, seriously. My wife doesn't understand that I still know where everything's at.

Good to see repair in progress.

I think it look(ed) great and the flight was cool with the slight spiral! :grin:

I agree with the others, first flight was safe and re-flyable, so it is a good flight in my opinion. Plus the recovery issue wasn't the design, it was a wadded up plastic chute. :)

Back