Summer Build off Contest: "MAGIC DART"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend Scott and I both took video of the first flight. I had a camera failure (user headspace error) and got nothing. Scott quickly lost it in the sun and didn't get much. I'm dreadfully sorry that we don't have better video, but we can certainly attest that the flight was successful (and very, very nice.) Scott's video coming soon.

My friend Scott and I both took video of the first flight. I had a camera failure (user headspace error) and got nothing. Scott quickly lost it in the sun and didn't get much. I'm dreadfully sorry that we don't have better video, but we can certainly attest that the flight was successful (and very, very nice.) Scott's video coming soon.
Hey Joe. It was a pleasure to meet you this weekend. It's OK about the video. Tom Binford took one on Sunday and sent it via "drop box". Problem is, I can't view the .m2ts file that it is. Hopefully someone can give me a heads-up on a file conversion so I can get it posted.

Now you need a fleet of 6 so you can get a cricket or 301 tournament going!

It would look at home in the back of a pub, really nice job!!

Cool to see these two both on the same pad.

Looking forward to seeing the video(s)

Cool to see these two both on the same pad.

Looking forward to seeing the video(s)

Cool huh!! Not many people in my area were involved with this contest. It was great to see one of the other contestants entries. And his model was built like a brick s***house! That was a well constructed design. I'm sure he'll fill you in on all of the details in his own thread.

M2TS files are a pain. For what it's worth, this free online converter worked for me when I tried it with a sample m2ts file: https://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp4.

Thanks for the link Neil. My file is a little too large for the freebie 100MB category though. Mine tops out at 125MB or so. The site was simple enough to use though. Maybe Tom has a way to convert it. I already PM'd him this morning.

Okie Dokie! Thanks to Tom Terrific aka ( Binford ), I now have a legit video of the 2nd flight. I must say though, seemed like the maiden flight on a C11 didn't do the slight weatercock like it does in this video. It was a bit breezy off and on last weekend. Maybe it caught a draft. Anyway, both flights were successful.

[video=youtube;jtL6TqPeSvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtL6TqPeSvA[/video]

Nice boost! Looked like there was a bit of a cross wind based on the smoke trail. I would imagine if the fins were scale then it would have weathercocked in the slightest breeze.

Is that a ticker tape machine I hear in the background?

Well done! Perfect flight on a cool design!

(I vote for an E20 next time! :grin: )

Last edited:
Nice boost! Looked like there was a bit of a cross wind based on the smoke trail. I would imagine if the fins were scale then it would have weathercocked in the slightest breeze.

Is that a ticker tape machine I hear in the background?

I think the noise came from Tom B's Brownie Instamatic.:wink:

As for weathercocking, to me, the flight looks more like it had rod tip-off rather than actual weathercocking. It left the rod at an angle and stayed on that same path all the way as opposed to continuing to arc.

Thanks folks. Now I'm leaning more to that little swerve as a rod tip of sorts. Plus it was somewhat breezy. The C11 didn't act that way, and an E20 just might be on the agenda for Freedom Launch. I did stock up on those since Ken was there.

I feel certain that the ticker tape sound was Mack taking photos in pulse mode. And FWIW, those fins had been scaled down 25% from the original drawing. Even I know when there's too much fin. Given that I am defined as the guy that builds over stable rockets.

Very well done, sir, that's a beauty for sure. I still would love to see a drag race of a bunch of those painted up differently. And then lay out a big dartboard target on the ground and see who can land closest. :)

Turns out Scott's video of the first flight came out better than I remembered, but then I forgot to post it, and now I'm away from my real computer for the weekend. I'll post it Monday unless I work out a way to do it sooner.

Turns out Scott's video of the first flight came out better than I remembered, but then I forgot to post it, and now I'm away from my real computer for the weekend. I'll post it Monday unless I work out a way to do it sooner.

Great! I'd like to see it from another perspective.

Late to this thread, but wow! That is too freaking cool! Well done!

Thanks. It was a fun build. I did remove that chute line before the 2nd launch though. I really don't know why I had it in there in the first place. That fishing line kept getting tangled. I just threw a loop in the shock cord and attached the split ring there for the chute to hook to. Much easier.

How much did that thing weigh when all finished? It's quite a sizable rocket, although super-slender.

5 oz without a chute and a motor. Not too bad considering it's just under 4' tall.

Amazing actually considering a typical Estes PS2 kit is about 3X that.

The Pro II rockets use plywood fins and thicker tubes. They're also MPR rockets. Go figure. If I built a Ventris clone, with low power parts, it would be a whole lot lighter. I'd install a MPR motor tube though. I might not be able to fly it on the suggested motors for that kit, but it opens up a brand new door for a lot of other variable motors. It would also need to be scaled for either BT70 or 80 tubes and a turned nose cone. The end result would prolly weigh less than half what the Ventris does. As I have said before, you don't have to use MPR parts to build MPR rockets. I've already done that and flown them successfully.

Nice! I love the design & paint job on it. Congrats! :)

Thanks Tang. The entire rocket is the same design as a commercially available hand dart. The only thing I did was mod the fin art. I didn't want what was originally on them.

You must love Launch Pad kits then!

Never built one. In fact, I almost never build kits. I bought into 3 kits when I started dabbling in MPR just to get a feel for the assembly, only to find that there was little to no craftsmanship required. It was like building heavy duty skill level 1 rockets. PHTTTH! Prior to that, my go at the reissued Saturn V & SEMROC 1B were such a disappointment, I just gave up on them. Bottom line here is, to me, kits suck. Either that, or I have greater expectations than what is available these days. I'd rather design mine anymore and see my vision morph into a 3D creation that flies off the pad successfully. There's a great lot of joy for me there. Flying someone elses design ideas don't do it for me anymore.

A scale is all well and good, but I cen tell that when Garry handed it to me it fealt like next to nothing. It's really an incredible build.

And most of the tubes were CA coated inside for strength. I thought it should weigh more than it does. Another deceiving model I built was the Arapaho F. It looks 4 times heavier than it is. Weather permitting, I'll be at Freedom Launch in a few weeks and if you're there, you'll be amazed how much altitude that Arapaho really gets. I suppose I'll also give Magic Dart the E20 suggested earlier. Thanks BTW Joe. Your comps mean a lot to me.

Here is the much delayed video of the maiden flight.

That's the REAL first flight with a C11, right? No rod tip-off on that one. I knew there was a difference. Thanks for bringing this one in Joe. I was looking forward to having it as the official first flight. Now I feel legit. ALL OTHER CONTESTANTS BEWARE!!! :kill: :horse:

Gary,

I just saw this build of yours ,got to say it looks fantastic !! Talk about a different looking rocket, I love it.

Also ,nice work on the Balsa turnings and overall build ,it was fun to look at.

Congrats on the maiden flights ,looked great blasting off.

Take care

Paul T

Back