Summer Buildoff: Roc n Roll Flying V guitar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
For the summer buildoff, I'll be building a Gibson Flying V guitar. This will be built flat, with no additional stabilizing fins.

EDIT - for those joining in for the Summer Buildoff voting, I hope you have the chance to read through the thread to get an idea of what went into this projet from a creative and craftsmanship standpoint. If brevity is more your style, I'm linking the final submission video in this post here. Be advised that it's best viewed with the volume turned way, way up. Enjoy the thread and video!

[video=youtube;E3HRke8A5ow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3HRke8A5ow[/video]

Last edited:
I'm still working on size but it will most likely be BT-55 based, for 24mm motors. Possibly 18mm depending on how the weight is looking.

I tried modeling my design on Open Rocket for stability validation. I ended up drafting two fins and made them very thick. Open Rocket didn't care for that so I mind-simmed it. Obviously in the X axis, the body of the guitar will easily act as fins. But what about the Y axis? It was my determination that the thickness of the body will act as drag stabilization; Any tilt on the Y axis and one side will present more area to the airflow, keeping the rocket pointed up during its ascent.

I had to know if this idea was feasible, so I spent 10 minutes hacking up some foam and built a proof of concept with a BT-20. It's flown twice on an A8-3 in my backyard and flew surprisingly great! I haven't taken any video of it but I'll try to in the near future. This little crap build is actually really fun to fly so I'm going to keep it. So with all that figured out, my actual build can commence!

20160530_113128.jpg

I just noticed that skp is also doing a guitar-inspired entry. I hope he doesn't mind a similar entry and knows that this is a case of parallel thought and not me taking his idea. Besides, I'm not ballsy enough to try a six-motor cluster! Wow!

I have no doubt that you did not copy my idea. You have a prototype already mocked up and we posted within an hour of each other. Fliskits used to have a rocket inspired by an electric guitar. If we were doing fiddles, then maybe we could meet in down in Georgia.

Thanks, skp. Maybe later today, when the horses come in, I'll get a quick flight of the POC in and get some video up.

I was able to get a flight in on the proof of concept this afternoon.

[video=youtube;notagDYp2Mk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=notagDYp2Mk[/video]

Cool! That's very creative. I'm sure the real one will be even cooler!!!

ps - You need some serious rock/metal music blaring while that thing takes off! :)

I think that would make a good Rocket glider, maybe upsize the guitar body a bit.....hmmmmmm
I did find this....
[video=youtube;DC9nkjsSf_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC9nkjsSf_A[/video]
Frank

I hope I don't get axed for this, but I think this build is gonna ROCK!!! Just so long as you don't shred it.

That proof of concept roc is awesome! are you using foam on the final as well?

I was originally going to do built-up balsa, but after doing the POC, I've changed plans to foam core with balsa sheeting.

I hope I don't get axed for this, but I think this build is gonna ROCK!!! Just so long as you don't shred it.

Wait, isn't shredding it the whole point? I'm confused.

Oh, I get it, we're supposed to string together a bunch of guitar puns. Well, I won't fret over it.

This could be the start of an interesting collection.
In the guitar world, a person who collects guitars is said to have GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).
Here's the equation for GAS (It can also apply to model rocket collections):

If X = the number of guitars (rockets) currently in the collection, and
F= the optimum number of guitars (rockets),
then F=X+1

You could have a whole wall full of guitar rockets: Strats, Les Pauls, Schecters, PRSs, Ibanez, Rickenbachers, and maybe even a Danelectro or two, and we're not even talking acoustics, yet!

I'm surprised that Thirsty hasn't picked up on this one... You know this thing is gonna resonate with a whole lot of people! Well, maybe not the high strung ones.

Unfortunately I don't think your design will be eligible.
Has to meet standards of NAR safety code.
Your design fails.......
Wait for it........
The safety code forbids the use of........
Wait for it.......

Heavy metal.

I haven't been forgetting the build; I just had a few other projects on my plate before I could tackle this one. Fortunately my Punisher build is starting to wind down, so I've been able to dedicate some time toward the contest design. This evening was filled with a lot of figuring things out, namely size of the rocket. I really want to keep this thing powered by black powder D and E motors at the most, so I decided that a 36" total length should work okay. The best way to mind-sim how it's going to present at that size, and how to make everything work right, was to draw up some full-size plans. So that's what I did. Right now it's just the plan view - I have a feeling that the key to succeeding with my flying axe is getting the profile view right. I need a good balance of thick enough fins for ample base drag (yaw stability), a thin enough neck and head (again, yaw stability), and to try and keep weight forward to give that base drag as much of a chance as possible at doing its job.

I was originally planning on using BT-55 for the body and BT-50 as the motor tube going all the way up to the head. However, in looking at my actual dimensions on paper, I may end up using BT-50 as the motor mount, with an adapter down to BT-20 or even BT-5 for the neck. Doing so will help yaw stability, but also change the break point in the rocket, meaning the parachute and shock cord will be further back. Not good for the CG. But I'll figure that out as I start to draw up the profile view - interesting times ahead. The body will be made out of foam and sheeted with either paper or balsa. Foam turned out to be an excellent choice to use on the prototype and I'm not going to change that formula. Hopefully this will all come together and no cub scouts will get impaled by an out of control heavy metal shredder on launch day.

20160614_212323.jpg

Finally! I finished my backlog of projects, or at least moved them onto paint, so it's time to get serious about roc n roll. Stuff that I was scratching my head on while drawing up the plans is much more clear to me while dealing with the actual parts. I'm using BT-55 for the body core and BT-20 for the neck. The break point of the rocket will be where the body meets the neck. Just couldn't fit a decent size parachute into the BT-20. As you can see, the BT-20 is glued off-center into the BT-55 coupler.

20160703_170243.jpg

20160703_170240.jpg

20160702_215628.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see you pick this up again... I was beginning to think that you were just stringing us along.

I'll have to say that you have the most impressive drawings I've seen yet on TRF! :cheers:

Yikes! That's not a good thing; to actually finish this contest I need more than nice drawings. Fortunately it's finally taking shape on the build table, unfortunately I'm also dealing with a two-year old and a one-week old in the house, so for example instead of being in the garage right now, I'm having to watch Munchkin No.2 while my wife puts Munchkin No.1 to bed. Argh.

Back