Summer Buildoff: Roc n Roll Flying V guitar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It did - at least as well. I'm sure after Ryan recovers from Alice's birthday party he'll be posting video and maybe some more stills. But we opened today's BEMRC launch with it and it was gorgeous.

It did spit the motor, which came in and bounced off of one of the tables we were using to hold paperwork and next to which a long queue of Cub Scouts and families were lined up....but no casualties other than wits.

Otherwise it was just beautiful.

Fantastic! :clap: I was so afraid that the level of detail put into it since it's maiden launch would have jinxed it. Glad to hear it went well.

Waiting for the video / pics!

I'm off to work early tomorrow, so it'll take a little time for me to edit together a video of this project. I don't have any liftoff shots with a good camera, as I was on my video camera, but here's a slightly cropped screen shot of the flight.

Screenshot 2016-08-13 22.41.07 cropped.jpg

So, the rocket has flown! With a finished empty weight of 10.7 ounces, I decided to make the official, finished maiden launch using an Aerotech E20-4W. Based on how the rocket flew previously, I expected an altitude of 500 feet on the launch. With some wind forecast on launch day, I asked Bernard if he wouldn't mind if I flew Roc n Roll as the first flight of our launch in the morning, before the wind had a chance to pick up (I am not prepared at all to risk losing this thing to the trees, haha!), and Bernard graciously agreed. So, with no time to let the nerves build up, I prepped the rocket and loaded it onto my jawstand rail launcher (that I had just completed that morning), took a short "before" video, then headed back to the safety line.

With some buildup, and dozens of people in attendance watching, Bernard hit the launch button and the Flying V took to the air with authority. After a slight yaw into the wind on liftoff, it flew perfectly straight, trailing smoke and fire on the way up. Just past apogee, the ejection charge deployed. The parachute took a couple seconds to open, and those were a very long couple seconds as I watched two months' worth of work falling toward the ground. Fortunately, the parachute opened and my precious Summer Buildoff contest entry landed safely about 50 feet away from where I was standing.

To help keep the motor hook tight against the Aerotech motor, I wrapped some masking tape around the motor and the hook. Unfortunately, the ejection charge proved too strong and the hook cut the tape. As a result, the motor came out during deployment. So, lesson learned on that. Next time I'll bring a cable tie and tie that around the motor and hook. That will definitely hold it in place better than a few wraps of masking tape. I am pondering doing a full scale Flying V some time (I believe mine is somewhere around 78% scale), and that would get a 29mm motor mount with a screw-on retainer. I still may be able to adapt a retainer to this model, but I have confidence that a zip tie will provide plenty of strength for future flights.

After the first round of rockets finished, I went to retrieve Roc n Roll. It suffered no rash from the flight, and I breathed a huge sigh of relief as two months of hard work came to a successful conclusion. I checked my video camera to make sure the video turned out, set the rocket back on the launch rail for some beauty shots, and enjoyed the rest of the launch with a smile on my face. It was a great day to be in rocketry.

The "Roc n Roll" Flying V guitar rocket was a big hit at the field, and I received a lot of compliments about it. Personally, I couldn't be happier about how it turned out - it is beautiful, strong, flies great, and is exceptionally unique. That I built this from an idea in my head, and motivation in the form of this contest, makes me very proud of the finished result.

I would like to thank Scotty Dog for the idea of running a build contest this year. I think it's safe to say that no matter who wins the contest, that we all have had the chance to watch some really great builds. Those of us participating have used this contest as motivation to try something new ourselves, and to be able to share our ideas on the forum and enjoy others' builds has made all of us winners this summer. So thanks again to Scotty and I'm looking forward to watching, and perhaps participating, in future contests.

With that said, I am pleased to present my contest submission, in the form of the Youtube video below. It contains video and pics from the proof of concept, all the way through the build and launch. It is best viewed in full screen mode, and with the volume turned way, way up. Enjoy, and thanks again.

[video=youtube;E3HRke8A5ow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3HRke8A5ow[/video]

I'm off to work early tomorrow, so it'll take a little time for me to edit together a video of this project. I don't have any liftoff shots with a good camera, as I was on my video camera, but here's a slightly cropped screen shot of the flight.

Just amazing! Been following the build and you are a craftsman!

Right after this screen shot, if you watch the video the sun glints off the airframe. Try watching frame by frame , might be a real cool snap shot

Truly Epic!

5 out of 5 headbangs!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Congrats! BTW, for the ejection, you can always reduce the powder in the ejection charge to reduce your back pressure on the motor, you have a pretty small area to pressurize. I've done one rocket with a rocketarium 24mm retainer ring, I had to do a lot of sanding to get it to go go over a thick bt-50 tube(white tubing from bms), but after that it worked fine for single use F-32 motors, I haven't tried it with reloads.

OK, I poked my nose into this thread now and then to see how it was going, and lost track when the 2nd test flight was posted. I missed the finishing part also, but to say the least, I really never expected this bird to fly well. There are few too many "2 finned" rockets that do. Now, after catching up on the build and finishing, this video blew my socks off. This is going to be hard to compete with. I once gave some thought of building a 1964 Gibson SG rocket, but I never had any faith in its stability. Choosing the Flying V was a much better option and I'm glad for you, that it works so well.

You got us all sweatin' bullets now.

Thanks, guys. Gary, you have nothing to worry about, your magic dart turned out spectacular and I wouldn't be surprised to see Estes knocking down your door for the design rights. And you are right, I deliberately chose the Flying V as I believe it is the only viable guitar design that could be stable in flight.

Nick, my video software doesn't seem to allow me to go frame by frame, however with a bit of luck I caught a screen grab just at the right moment.

Screenshot 2016-08-15 22.23.49 cropped.jpg

Screenshot 2016-08-15 22.23.49.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. Gary, you have nothing to worry about, your magic dart turned out spectacular and I wouldn't be surprised to see Estes knocking down your door for the design rights. And you are right, I deliberately chose the Flying V as I believe it is the only viable guitar design that could be stable in flight.

Nick, my video software doesn't seem to allow me to go frame by frame, however with a bit of luck I caught a screen grab just at the right moment.

What does that old song say "Mississippi Delta shining like an American guitar."

Awesome, really though the videos music track really should have been Metallica's "The Thing That Should Not Be" :headbang:

I had this one figured nearly a month ago. I know a winning design when I see one. TOUCHE! You get the kitty prize. Now let's sit back and see if said vendor you mentioned (or otherwise) gives me a kit shout....LOL

Yeah, I know I am necro'ing this thread (thx to BARBAR's BABAR's post) but holy cow dude, totally awesome design! And, being a huge Metallica fan, I really dig your video.

Belated congrats on the winning the contest.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know I am necro'ing this thread (thx to BARBAR's post) but holy cow dude, totally awesome design! And, being a huge Metallica fan, I really dig your video.

It's. BABAR. B A B A R. good grief.

(I better check my cornflakes...);)

Yeah, I know I am necro'ing this thread (thx to BARBAR's post) but holy cow dude, totally awesome design! And, being a huge Metallica fan, I really dig your video.

It may be a necro but this rocket needs it from time to time.

Be careful, the last poster (before Tobor ) on this thread is up there with der MicroMeister. You know those rockets you launch that NEVER come down and are never seen again?

Its THEM!

This rocket is stabilized by base drag, due to the thickness of the guitar body.

I was as surprised as anyone that it was stable. Still am, to be honest. But it flew!

ok, looks great , but can anyone explain how, why two find are enought?
I took cues from the B-2 Bomber on how to make a flat, aerodynamically stable design. It uses swept, split ailerons to provide stabilizing drag in the yaw direction. Due to the sweep of the leading edge of the guitar body "fins", I figured that if they were thick enough, they would provide the same stabilizing area as having fins perpendicular to them. The trick is having to have the sweep, which is why a Flying V guitar design works and a standard acoustic guitar most likely wouldn't. For example, looking straight-on at the rocket sitting vertically, if it tries to yaw to the right in flight, then the fin on the right would present less area to the airflow compared with the fin on the left. The fin on the left would then bring the rocket back to vertical.

This was all just a theory of course, which is why I built a proof of concept first, then did a number of hand-launch horizontal test flights on the actual subject, as well as a swing test to determine CG, before committing to flight. The CG sits somewhere around the top of the guitar body, ensuring that is where it pivots in flight, allowing the thick fins to work as intended.

Last edited:
Back